• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKRDS online details! (6 players online, custom tracks playable online!)

http://gonintendo.com/?p=12254

In short...

- 6 Players (or more)
- 3 Options to start with: "matchmaking" (random person), "invite friends" (start a room), and "join friends" (join a room a friend has made).
- Chatting before/after a race (article is not clear weather it's voice or text/drawing)
- 5 different modes to play:

- Single Race (Up to 6, possibly more): Chose a track, any track you've unlocked, race on an unmodified version of that track, complete with balloons
- Wish Race: Race on a track that you have made
- Token Tussle: First person to collect 5 coins wins
- Battle (Up to 4 players): Battle against each other
- Trophy Race: Everyone competes in a circuit tournament from the game. (So, online grand prix)

Oh and it shows you what friends of yours are online! (Like MPHunters)

GOTY DS CONFIRMED!

I never really played the N64 original, rented it once but still.. my memory is shit. :] Does this have any solar system destroying tactics like snaking in it that could ruin the delicious multiplayer cake for all?

maxmars

Infernal Monkey said:
I never really played the N64 original, rented it once but still.. my memory is shit. :] Does this have any solar system destroying tactics like snaking in it that could ruin the delicious multiplayer cake for all?

Not that I remember.. Keeping all limbs crossed on this one.

Peru

This is the real shit.. the hating on this game has to stop, it's the pinnacle of kart-racing, with added awesomeness such as the hover boats (I always won those races). And if you can see what your friends are up to...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

EU is just written as Q1 2007 while the US version is Feb. 5th? Hmmmm, I can wait for the local version since I have plenty of games to play still...

But hot damn - online for atleast SIX players, AND custom tracks online! Awesome Rare!

Milpool

SumGamer said:
6 Players sounds like an upgrade of the NWFC network. It has been capped to only 4 up until now.

All time classics supports 8 I think. And doesn't Starfox support more?

Peru said:
This is the real shit.. the hating on this game has to stop, it's the pinnacle of kart-racing, with added awesomeness such as the hover boats (I always won those races). And if you can see what your friends are up to...

I LOVED this game on the N64 (a lot moreso than Mario Kart 64) and for a while my gaming buddies and I were obsessed with one particular stage (Hot Top Volcano).... but, having professed my love for this title (Drumstick the cock ftw), I have to say:

HOVERCRAFT RACING SUCKED ASS!!!

SumGamer said:
6 Players sounds like an upgrade of the NWFC network. It has been capped to only 4 up until now.
Club House games allows more then 4 people.

Also, what is the extent of customizing the tracks?

*Edit: Crap someone mentioned it under a different name ^

joeposh

I was skeptical about this game at first, even though I loved the n64 version... but it sounds like they've made a concerted effort to create a great online experience, so I think this has moved up to a must buy on my list.

Vard

Nuclear Muffin said:
- Chatting before/after a race (article is not clear weather it's voice or text/drawing)

Maybe my reading comprehension skills are failing me, but I'm pretty sure they don't mention any kind of way to communicate in the game's online mode. They say, "The only other thing that I would love to see in this game is voice chat."

I'd even be happy with a pictochat kind of thing, really. Still, the game sounds amazing and I can't wait to try it out.

Firestorm

So NWFC steadily improving? Hopefully it gets up to what PCs have been at for 10 years by the time Brawl comes out. I don't want that ruined by crippled online.

skinnyrattler said:
Um, how is rare developing this? Do they have the rights to Diddy Kong?

Nintendo's publishing. They have the rights to Diddy Kong. Microsoft has the rights to Banjo and Conker so they're not in the game this time. Microsoft allows Rare to make handheld games for Nintendo because Microsoft isn't in the handheld war. They'd much rather help Nintendo than Sony.

Infernal Monkey said:

The original did - but only with the cars. If instead of holding down the gas, you tapped the gas button, you would go way faster. Does anyone know if this has been fixed for the remake?

Wario64 said:
But GDJustin said online play is broken...I didn't see what he had to say though

He basically said that the wifi settings on his router are borked, then proceeded to blame it on the game.

Jeff-DSA said it was flawless.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I thought I heard it wans't that good.
And why can't we chat in-game? :(

Who developed, btw?

syllogism

Diddy kong racing's single-player portition was excellent, which is why I don't understand why they had to remove a significant aspect of it - the silver coin challenge. I bet the mirror mode is gone as well.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Bungalow Bob said:
The original did - but only with the cars. If instead of holding down the gas, you tapped the gas button, you would go way faster. Does anyone know if this has been fixed for the remake?

I tested it out, and it seems like it has been fixed. You had to tap super-fast in the original to get a good speed boost though, and I was never that good at it. So I don't know for certain.

But yeah... *seems* to be fixed.

GDJustin said:
I tested it out, and it seems like it has been fixed. You had to tap super-fast in the original to get a good speed boost though, and I was never that good at it. So I don't know for certain.

But yeah... *seems* to be fixed.

Nice!:)
I always preferred racing without tapping.

This should be great for online.

Top Bottom