• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isnt it ironic that the best FF this gen was its online spinoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggy Loop

Oooohhhh! I went there!

Even though critics praised FFXII, to me its a dumbed down FFXI with a story that falls apart.

FFXI has the better combat system than FFXII, way more depth with its weapon chain system (really, quickening was a mess in 12), XP chain which required a lot more skills than just killing the same goddamn enemies over and over, you had to be fast and perfect teamwork to go far with it. FFXI's job & subjob system makes it the most in depth FF customization to date, combining 2 jobs opens up a whole lot of possible combos for both solo and xp parties, playing a red mage myself, it had white mage, black mage, as main XP party subs, solo or HNM it could have Ninja, dark knight, warrior, as pure support you could have bard & summoner sub, etc.

Story wise, i do think FFXI had the best this gen, i'll mention that i've only read the whole story and watched the cutscenes because honestly, it takes a shitload of time in the game to get throught all of it, but yes, not only is the lore of vanadiel better than 90% of other RPGs out there (lets not even go with MMO here, it trounces all), but its a blast to learn about it, and its not in your face kind of deal where you're forced to watch it throught cutscenes, you can learn about some of vanadiel's less known lore throught say monuments scattered through the land.

GAF hates this game, but then again, majority of GAF didnt go beyond Qufim :lol Or heck, even the dunes.

*puts flame coat on*

FFXI sucked ass and was a boring MMO. FFXII Incorporated boring MMO gameplay into a single player experience. FFX was better than both of them, X had a better battle system for sure, though XII had the better story IMHO. The honest truth is that the best FF released in the last few years was the re-release of IV on the GBA.

FFXI is just another MMORPG.
FFXII is a revolutionary jRPG.
They share lots of ideas, but I like only one of them. Hmmm.....

Buggy Loop said:
XP chain which required a lot more skills than just killing the same goddamn enemies over and over, you had to be fast and perfect teamwork to go far with it.
No all you had to do was have an IQ above 60, too bad 90% of the people that played the game failed this requirement.

P.S. FFXI sux

Buggy Loop

BamYouHaveAids said:
No all you had to do was have an IQ above 60, too bad 90% of the people that played the game failed this requirement.

P.S. FFXI sux

Getting to chain 7+ was far from easy. Heck, only time i went above that was with rdm (me) + bard + nin tank, basicly you have to have the best MP regen possible and the least healing to waste. There's tactics that some players came with to get 100+ chains but then again, it was with shit XP even match in sky.

FFXI is just another MMORPG.
FFXII is a revolutionary jRPG.
They share lots of ideas, but I only played one of them. Hmmm.....

fixed

C4Lukins

I did not like FFXI, but I was not impressed by FFXII's fighting system either. It reminded me to much of a MMorpg system, which was not a good thing. Other then the battle system though, FFXII was superior to FFXI in every other way. I will still take X over both of them as far as last gen FF games.

Buggy Loop

I sure would like peoples saying "it sucks ass" also mention how far they went into the game. Just saying suck ass doesnt cut it, you're immediatly a valkurn dunes noob in my eyes.

FFXI's a fine game, it's just the people playing it that **** it up. I had a lot of fun until I got to the portion of the game where you had to get along with a bunch of asshole primadonnas that take the game way too seriously.

BamYouHaveAids said:

P.S. FFXI sux
And then they went to WoW. Yep.

I'm in full support of this thread, just needs more Shouta!

**** the haters, I was just having a discussion with a friend last night. To spin off the FF series talk, I have to say I'm all for traditional "hardcore" MMORPGs. **** this casual driven shit, sure it pulls in the money but it's just plain not fun. Yeah, color me a cognosed fanboy, how can I enjoy grindfests? The thing is, when you're actually griding with five other people who know what they're doing, it's actually fun. I really don't give a shit if some dude who can only play for 30 minutes a day can't solo a level. It's a ****ng online game.

Rant over, FFXII is totally FFXI sans the time it takes to do anything, and a more lighthearted story. A little dumbed down, but very polished. No wonder I loved it. :)

C4Lukins

Buggy Loop said:
I sure would like peoples saying "it sucks ass" also mention how far they went into the game. Just saying suck ass doesnt cut it, you're immediatly a valkurn dunes noob in my eyes.

I do not think it "sucked ass," but I put 20 plus hours into it, and as far as I am concerned that is as far as I need to push a game to make a determination on whether I am having fun or not. I am sure it is quite rewarding for the die hard players, but I was not willing to put in the time to reach the "fun" when the first 20 hours were pretty dull.

fernoca

Nah!
If it was for NeoGAF I would only be playing Ikaruga, Rez, Shadow of the Collossus..and hate Mortal Kombat for no reason...hehehe..

That said, FFXI was a good game..but far from being the best FF this gen... FFXII was a great game, but far from being my personal best since I got bored half through it (loved the character design, visuals and fighting)...

FFX was well, the first of the previous gen FF games..so it holds a special place..first one completly 3D..first one with voice acting...but still, not my personal best..

I did liked FFX-2 (the job system should be in more games, were you can instantly change jobs..and it also changes the way the character looks)...even though as always NeoGAF hates it like no tomorrow (which is weird since it has 3 female charcters and j-pop soundtrack..it should have been an instant classic around here..hehehe) :D

The game is at its best from about level 20-50, unless you have a really good group of people to play with, in which case it can be pretty fun all the way through. In the end, there's only so many times you can kill the gods, or run the BCNMs, and I got sick of everyone's posturing and politics and drama.

DarthWufei said:
And then they went to WoW. Yep.

I'm in full support of this thread, just needs more Shouta!

**** the haters, I was just having a discussion with a friend last night. To spin off the FF series talk, I have to say I'm all for traditional "hardcore" MMORPGs. **** this casual driven shit, sure it pulls in the money but it's just plain not fun. Yeah, color me a cognosed fanboy, how can I enjoy grindfests? The thing is, when you're actually griding with five other people who know what they're doing, it's actually fun. I really don't give a shit if some dude who can only play for 30 minutes a day can't solo a level. It's a ****ng online game.

Rant over, FFXII is totally FFXI sans the time it takes to do anything, and a more lighthearted story. A little dumbed down, but very polished. No wonder I loved it. :)
Nope FFXI was my first and last MMORPG. I got 67 BLM, 40 Monk, and 90 Leathercraft. I ran that shit like noones business.

P.S. FFXI sux!!!!

Dali

Isnt it ironic that the best FF this gen was its online spinoff?

"It is my opinion that FFXI is better than FFXII" would have been a much better thread title. But then again the potential entertainment value of that thread would have been a paltry 60, compared to this thread's PEV of 9000.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
FFXI has a terrible grind, negating any value it might have. Why the hell would you endure 10 hours of work for 1 hour of fun?

stewy

Buggy Loop said:
Oooohhhh! I went there!

Even though critics praised FFXII, to me its a dumbed down FFXI with a story that falls apart.

FFXI has the better combat system than FFXII, way more depth with its weapon chain system (really, quickening was a mess in 12), XP chain which required a lot more skills than just killing the same goddamn enemies over and over, you had to be fast and perfect teamwork to go far with it. FFXI's job & subjob system makes it the most in depth FF customization to date, combining 2 jobs opens up a whole lot of possible combos for both solo and xp parties, playing a red mage myself, it had white mage, black mage, as main XP party subs, solo or HNM it could have Ninja, dark knight, warrior, as pure support you could have bard & summoner sub, etc.

Story wise, i do think FFXI had the best this gen, i'll mention that i've only read the whole story and watched the cutscenes because honestly, it takes a shitload of time in the game to get throught all of it, but yes, not only is the lore of vanadiel better than 90% of other RPGs out there (lets not even go with MMO here, it trounces all), but its a blast to learn about it, and its not in your face kind of deal where you're forced to watch it throught cutscenes, you can learn about some of vanadiel's less known lore throught say monuments scattered through the land.

GAF hates this game, but then again, majority of GAF didnt go beyond Qufim :lol Or heck, even the dunes.

*puts flame coat on*

No mention of FFX?

Also: "I have to say I'm all for traditional "hardcore" MMORPGs"

Waiting around in town for a few hours waiting for a decent group is not a "hardcore" MMORPG.

Hardcore would be saving up for a few weeks (or hell even months) for an expensive Tech 2 ship in Eve Online, then running straight into a Gatecamp and losing it all.

Danj

C4Lukins said:
I do not think it "sucked ass," but I put 20 plus hours into it, and as far as I am concerned that is as far as I need to push a game to make a determination on whether I am having fun or not. I am sure it is quite rewarding for the die hard players, but I was not willing to put in the time to reach the "fun" when the first 20 hours were pretty dull.

I have to agree with this. I tried FFXI when it first came out over here in the UK (which was a whole bunch of time after every other country had got it, to be sure, but there you go). I guess some people might find it refreshing because it seemed to be almost 100% open-ended, but for me it would have been nice to have had a few starting quests to set me on the right path. Without such a thing I found it pretty directionless. Of the MMOs I've played I played WoW the longest, because its quests often chain together and help you to explore new areas. I'm not saying that's how all MMOs should be, but it'd be good if there was a middle-ground between totally non-linear and totally linear.

One of the things I like about FFXII is that it made grinding (which seems to be a feature of a majority of RPGs - can anyone think of one that DOESN'T need any grinding?) less boring by allowing you to partially automate it. MMOs typically specifically disallow this type of activity. The only MMO feature I've really found particularly interesting (other than the WoW quest chains I already mentioned) is Eve Online's skills training system - higher level skills may take days or even weeks to train, but it's days/weeks of real time rather than game time, so your skill is getting trained even when you're not online.

Teknopathetic said:

Waiting around in town for a few hours waiting for a decent group is not a "hardcore" MMORPG.

Hardcore would be saving up for a few weeks (or hell even months) for an expensive Tech 2 ship in Eve Online, then running straight into a Gatecamp and losing it all.
I don't give a shit, anything is better than soloing to a level cap in a game entirely focused on being ****ing online, as in, interacting with other people.

Chairman Yang said:
FFXI has a terrible grind, negating any value it might have. Why the hell would you endure 10 hours of work for 1 hour of fun?

The trick is that you have to make the grind fun. Which it can be, with the right group of people. Truth be told, I enjoyed the grinding more than the things it enabled me to do.

Buggy Loop said:

I got to play the PC version and put about 15 hours into it and I want square to give me those 15 hours of my life back. It was a boring horrible experience and not one I ever want to do again. FF should never have gone Online, MMO gameplay is boring, if FFXIII has the same shit battle system as XII I'm done with the series. Get your MMO crap out of my single player RPGS. If XII had the battle system from X it would have been an amazing FF game.

"I don't give a shit, anything is better than soloing to a level cap in a game entirely focused on being ****ing online, as in, interacting with other people."

Soloing is a choice and choices are a good thing, despite what your fanaticism may lead you to believe. I don't always have 1-2 hours (minimum) to dedicate and sometimes I just want to log in for 30 minutes to kill time, actually accomplish something and go do something else. Suffering through ballcrushingly long group only grinds doesn't make you more enlightened or hardcore. It makes you a sucker.

Gigglepoo

He's totally right. FFXI is as timeless as any of the other FF games. People will be replaying it on new consoles for decades and decades. It will never become obsolete. Ever.

Teknopathetic said:
"I don't give a shit, anything is better than soloing to a level cap in a game entirely focused on being ****ing online, as in, interacting with other people."

Soloing is a choice and choices are a good thing, despite what your fanaticism may lead you to believe. I don't always have 1-2 hours (minimum) to dedicate and sometimes I just want to log in for 30 minutes to kill time, actually accomplish something and go do something else. Suffering through ballcrushingly long group only grinds doesn't make you more enlightened or hardcore. It makes you a sucker.
Then I don't want you in my game. I'm being entirely selfish here, I don't care about you, how much money is being made, or how long a game will last. Choice is good, I don't really care if there's solo content or not. Just saying there better be reasoning for grouping with others in a ****ing online game. Not just endgame shit.

I really don't care if you can or can't solo, I'm just not doing it. For a game or its community to encourage it is shit. FFXI did grinding right, oh I said it.**

**Special conditions may apply. :D

"Then I don't want you in my game. I'm being entirely selfish here, I don't care about you, how much money is being made, or how long a game will last. Choice is good, I don't really care if there's solo content or not. Just saying there better be reasoning for grouping with others in a ****ing online game. Not just endgame shit.

I really don't care if you can or can't solo, I'm just not doing it. For a game or its community to encourage it is shit. FFXI did grinding right, oh I said it.**"

Oh, you don't have to worry, I won't be there :p. I will, however, bring up what a terribly designed game it is at every opportunity.

What's wrong with FFXI? It's a great MMO it got some aspects better than WoW actually, for example the party search tool. I was amazed how Squeenix pulled such a great MMO at their first try.

Lain

Only masochists love FFXI with such a passion.
Even tho it has a nice artistic direction and some neat ideas, it is still an asian MMORPG heavily influenced by the worst sides of western MMOs that esasperates the grinding and the requirement for parties for almost everything.
The simple fact that how good you are at the game doesn't matter if your party has even one moron who can ruin everything for all the people involved can't make FFXI the best FF this gen.
And let's not talk about skill chains or exp chains,which requires as much skill as looking up a printed chart and paying attention to the chat window for the calls from other players to execute the right succession of skills/pull in the next monster.

Um, you can solo in FFXI. It's just a lot slower than grouping. I solo'd a metric shit-ton on my DRG when I couldn't find a party, and I even solo'd a few levels on my PLD from 50-60 when I couldn't be arsed to party. You just have to equip yourself properly and be smart.

And I fail to see how skillchains take any less skill than anything in an offline RPG. Skillchaining at least gives you something to do, and knowing which one is the right one to use on which mob requires some knowledge of strategy.

Safe Bet

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

No, a hardcore mmorpg is one where you spend six months of PvP on gaining a complete set of gear only to lose it in a deathtrap the very next day.

I complete agree with the TC!

FFXI was the most fun game of this gen--best FF for sure! The lore of Vana'diel was Tolkienesque, and there's simply nothing like exploring that vast, amazing world.

I love FFXI, even if GAF seems to think that it's mother was mauled by a rampaging taru.

The masochists thing is entirely true. I should probably mention at times I play an old Korean Diablo clone MMORPG...thing. Complete with finger cramps, 50% exp loss upon death, along with the chance of dropping items! I have no ****ing clue why I play though. Ugh! At least it's free.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Chairman Yang said:
You could say the same about FF12.

The single player "experience" of FF12 was basically an MMORG with coming-out-of-dungeon-seeing-airships-fly-over-your-head custscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom