• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 yr. old Black American student beaten to death by 10 people at a bar in Greece

http://kxan.com/2017/07/07/22-year-old-from-austin-beaten-to-death-on-greek-island/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_KXAN_News
A 22-year-old man from Austin was killed while vacationing on a Greek island Friday morning and two people have been arrested.

Bakari Henderson was allegedly beaten to death by around 10 people at a bar on the island of Zakynthos, in an attack that lasted 30 seconds, according to an Athens-based newspaper.

KXAN spoke with one of Henderson's childhood friends, John Gramlich, who called him a teammate, a traveling buddy, and a best friend.

”I met Bakari in elementary school," Gralmich recalled. ”Immediately once I met him I knew he was going to be one of my best friends. We got along really well, he's got a really contagious smile, whenever he walks into a room he really fills the room up."

When Gramlich thinks back on growing up, most memories include Henderson.

”We played basketball together, we traveled to Europe together, we've done practically everything together," he said. But then, Friday afternoon, his phone rang.

”I got a phone call from a friend who saw the article and at first didn't want to believe it," Gramlich said, calling Henderson's brother to confirm. ”We were just all in disbelief and shock that that could happen to Bakari."

Gramlich told KXAN he's part of a tight-knit group that's remained close throughout the years. It's in these hours that these friends are now turning to each other.

The Henderson family says their son was in Greece working on a photo shoot to launch a new clothing line, calling him a ”big thinker" who enjoyed coming up with new business ventures.

Gramlich said when he learned Henderson was going to Greece, ”It sounded just like Bakari. You know, traveling the world, living his life and really enjoying [it]."

He continued, ”I'm as shocked as everyone else, you know Bakari was my best friend. He'll always be."

Henderson graduated from the University of Arizona, where he studied management, in May. He attended Anderson High School and graduated from Hyde Park Baptist High School in 2013. ”It is always a tragedy when a young life ends before it has really yet to begin," the university president said.

Two men are facing murder charges over the bar brawl, the Associated Press is reporting. A 34-year-old Greek man and a 32-year-old British man of Serbian origin have been arrested, while an investigation is underway to identify the others involved.
RIP
bakari-henderson41.jpg

Someone used brass knuckles in the attack and it lasted for half a minute. What the HELL???!!

(lock if old)

kikkai

Neo Member
This is such a savage thing to do. This man didn't deserve this.

I wonder if the perpetrators were part of any white supremacist organization.

Permanently A

"32-year-old British man of Serbian origin"

There's your guy. East Europe has a massive racism issue. RIP. Sad to see a completely innocent life taken by wanton violence.

RIP, man.

How the hell does that happen?? How are race relations in Greece?

350px-Golden_Dawn_members_at_rally_in_Athens_2015.jpg

Golden Dawn is Greece's third largest political party. They are Neo Nazi's. Obviously the third largest is not that large. But it's still a staggering amount of people when you look at the numbers. Sorry I'm editing this because it was misleading by just saying it was third as though its a close third.

What an incredibly sad event. Greece is such a beautiful country and one I hope everyone can see without fear. I just don't understand why these things happen. How can people be so stupid.

cameron

Link missing in the OP, KXAN: Austinite beaten to death on Greek island

Google translated bit from the referenced Athens-based newspaper:
Perpetrators of the murder originally arrested two people, a 32 year old Briton, Serbian origin and a 34-year old Greek. The first reportedly worked as a "bouncer" and the second as a bartender in a nightclub of Laganas.

Following the investigations carried out on the matter, they were identified and arrested in Friday afternoon two more perpetrators. These two 22 year old Serbian nationals who participated in the fray.
The videos also by security cameras recorded the incident revealed that the beating which led to death of 22-year and lasted about 30 seconds, attended by around ten people.

Immediately after the attackers fled the spot leaving the unlucky young man unconscious on the pavement.

Unbounded

Real question: Is there like a "black man's travel guide" or something, pointing out all of the different places where it's largely okay to go while black and not have any worry about dealing with life-endangering racist shit?

Again, bullshit. Maybe if you've been to these countries we can have the discussion.

Do you follow black people in those countries around to ensure they're all treated well

Real question: Is there like a "black man's travel guide" or something, pointing out all of the different places where it's largely okay to go while black and not have any worry about dealing with life-endangering racist shit?

14 years I. Japan w/o so much as a push

Socreges

Banned
Is there any info on what caused this? Motive? Or are we assuming race-motivated since he was a black person in Greece?

I was originally going to say "stay in the house", but you can get murdered in your home too.

I hope every last one of these fucking shits get exactly what they deserve.

What is this bullshit? Croatia, Austria, Slovenia are fine for any race. Even cities like Prague, Bratislava, Warsaw, Krakow and Budapest get good tourist footfall without a problem.

I mean, you're not gonna get beaten to a pulp, but we got some pretty awful, isolating stares from people in Poland that we didn't get being in Italy. It's not the most comfortable place I'd go being a black man.

I mean, that's going to be one depressing-ass map.

daviyoung

Banned
Do you follow black people in those countries around to ensure they're all treated well

Do you? Or are we all speaking in broader stroaks than we can handle. I was born in Croatia, lived there and met many tourists from all races. I also know black families living in Austria (born and raised). The idea that you shouldn't travel because you will die is bullshit.

In the thread about Bulgaria a couple of months ago plenty of black people shared their experiences in Eastern Europe.

Phwoar, lucky I didn't mention Bulgaria then!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Again, bullshit. Maybe if you've been to these countries we can have the discussion.

Thanks for telling me my experiences as a black man don't mean anything and I shouldn't use them to make educated guesses to avoid risks and difficulties to my own life.
Do you even know what thread you're in.

The Phillipines, Brazil, the UK, Southeast Asia, Western Germany and majority Black countries. I wouldnt go anywhere else with less than a half dozen people with me at all times.

Jonnax

Well it can't really work. Let's say you're a citizen of whatever country, you'd try defending whatever is said about it on the internet.

For example, I was curious so I googled 'Croatia racism" the first result is a post where someone gives an anecdote about experiencing racism and the posts after it call the poster a liar.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The Phillipines, Brazil, the UK, Southeast Asia, Western Germany and majority Black countries. I wouldnt go anywhere else with less than a half dozen people with me at all times.

Southeast Asia is majority black?

e: "and" not "are", oops.

Belgium and the Netherlands might be pretty nice too? Being black and gay cancels out a lot of places too.

Do you? Or are we all speaking in broader stroaks than we can handle. I was born in Croatia, lived there and met many tourists from all races. I also know black families living in Austria (born and raised). The idea that you shouldn't travel because you will die is bullshit.

Your assertion holds no more weight than his. You don't find it odd screaming at a black man that his concerns are unfounded in a thread about a black man beaten to death by locals?

Lol

Why are you even fucking here?

You're more concerned with defending the integrity of these countries and talking down to black people then you are about what's actually happened.

RIP, man.

How the hell does that happen?? How are race relations in Greece?

Pretty sure racist attacks have gone up significantly since the financial crisis. Throw in the refugee crisis too and people likely see anyone who isn't native as the enemy.

"I'm not black, but I know black people, so understand this situation completely".

Get out of here with that shit.

daviyoung

Banned
Your assertion holds no more weight than his. You don't find it odd screaming at a black man that his concerns are unfounded in a thread about a black man beaten to death by locals?

Lol

I'm not screaming at anyone. I just find his assertion (a GAF meme, no less) about not going east of Berlin silly when the same logic could apply to the USA or the UK where racist incidents happen.

oti

Banned
Jesus.

Zakhyntos is incredibly touristy though. People from all over the world travel to there.

The local restaurant owners all told me there are more tourists than Greeks roaming the streets at night when I went there like 10 years ago. Can't imagine how it is nowadays.

This is some thinly veiled whitesplaining lmfao. Stop talking down to people about their genuine fears.

KillLaCam

Banned

Maybe he means tan? Idk lol. I know no one mentioned my skin tone when I went there though, alot of ppl were darker than me.

Atleast for me most of Asia has been great. Never been to Vietnam though, im sure it's not that much different in regards to this situation.

Kuwait was cool

Edit: Actually I have a more comfortable time in Asia than I do in the US as a black guy. The few times something to do with race come up for its genuine confusion or curiosity.

I'm not screaming at anyone. I just find his assertion (a GAF meme, no less) about not going east of Berlin silly when the same logic could apply to the USA or the UK where racist incidents happen.

You think black people being wary of going to certain places is a Gaf meme huh

You're full of laughs, thanks man

Socreges

Banned
Why are you even fucking here?

You're more concerned with defending the integrity of these countries and talking down to black people then you are about what's actually happened.

This is some thinly veiled whitesplaining lmfao. Stop talking down to people about their genuine fears.
If someone says
Don't go anywhere east of Berlin if you're black.
Why isn't he entitled to provide his own perspective on race relations in those countries where he's lived/been? Are you going to vet Plasma Reus or assume he's black and has been to every country he speaks of? Probably not.

Why would you read that list which includes Brazil, the UK, etc... and ends with Majority Black Countries and assume they're saying South East Asia is majority black?

It's a list of places and the list ends with them grouping all the majority black countries under the title of majority black countries instead of listing all of them individually.

Top Bottom