• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcsys X SNK?

BadWolf

So SNK's producer Oda was on Arcsys' Evo stream and they had a very friendly conversation about the old days and how fighting game devs should be co-operating to make fans happy instead of treating each other as rivals. And so far SNK is living up to that with Geese appearing in Tekken and Mai in DOA5.

Arcsys guys talked about how they all saved money to get a Fatal Fury arcade machine for their office (but ended up with a busted arcade stick) back in the day.

We also know that Daisuke Ishiwatari worked at SNK before and the first (?) game he ever worked on was Last Blade. You can definitely see influence in GG from Last Blade, SamSho etc.

And there was mention previously of Arcsys approaching Capcom to make Arcsys vs. Capcom but then the deal fell through when Capcom wanted to screw them over with a crappy deal. So from this we get that Arcsys has been interested in doing a cross over fighter for a while.

And yesterday Oda tweeted this with him and his buds at the same table as the Arcys guys:

ARC x SNK ???

So... what would you guys think about a possible cross over game between the two?

I feel like that crossover would be too niche. I'd prefer Arcsys to make a Samurai Showdown game for SNK.

Side note: I love the Arcsys graphics but the battle systems for those games are so fucking cumbersome and newbie un-friendly.

sephi22

The resurrection of SNK and the slow rise of Arcsys to the top of the FGC (critically, if not commercially) is my favorite story of this generation.

Heck with DBZ fighters Arcsys might even start making bank. Slay kings, slay!

RRockman

Banned
SNK in Guilty Gear style would be GLORIOUS

Thinking of Buster wolf or K''s sunglasses throw is giving me chills!

kulapik

Are we acting like the four franchises they have shown for BBCTB are going to the only ones? I'm sure they'll add more, I mean, they have plenty of sprites to reuse for their games, they're not going to have many new characters besides the RWBY ones.

The End

Are we acting like the four franchises they have shown for BBCTB are going to the only ones? I'm sure they'll add more, I mean, they have plenty of sprites to reuse for their games, they're not going to have many new characters besides the RWBY ones.

I'd be shocked if we don't get at least one P5 character in there.

We also know that Daisuke Ishiwatari worked at SNK before and the first (?) game he ever worked on was Last Blade. You can definitely see influence in GG from Last Blade, SamSho etc.

A bit off topic, but I was under the impression that this was just some other Daisuke Ishiwatari, oddly enough. I don't think GG Daisuke worked on Last Blade.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
ArcSys artstyle in general is "too" fantasy/scifi anime while KOF is more "realistic", too different to mesh well imo.

Probably a guest dlc character in BlazBlue or Guilty Gear like Mai in DOA and Geese In Tekken, So what do you think will be the right combination?

I say Athena @ Guilty Gear

I always thought that SamSho and Last Blade needed to be in a crossover, and this is an amazing option if ArcSys wanted to do it in the style of GGXrd! Give it a ratio system to differentiate it from other fighters.

Or maybe a collaboration King of Fighters with characters from all types of games! A DOA team, a Tekken team, a VF/FV team, a couple teams from Capcom, and of course an ASW Fist fighter team or two.

SNK is really understated nowadays. They deserve some shine in this fighting game renaissance going on.

Karsha

TBH I think that from all the crossovers (Capcom,MK,Tekken ect) Arcsys would be the less interesting, their characters don't match well with SNK's one imho.

So Here's what we know:

Modern 2D Sprites:
SNK has Highend Sprites from KoF XII & XIII and probably some unused assets.
Arcsys has Highend Sprites from BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, and some new stuff from BlazBlue Cross battle tag thingy.

There are no (known) high-res Guilty Gear sprites.

3D Models
ArcSys has Highend (2D Stylised cel shaded) 3D Models from Guilty Gear & Dragonball Z (with engine based frame limitation to mimic old-skool animation)
SNK
has a bunch of 3D models from King of Fighters XIV (you can decide yourself if they are high end or not)

So that's what they have to work with.

I'd guess they wouldn't re invent the wheel and decide to make all new models/sprites whichever they would chose to go with.
Though making some new models or Sprites would be expected.

Maybe they could finish off the Garou 2 sprites in High res ;)

Do not want.

Just get Arcsys to make a licensed Samurai Showdown game for SNK. KOF is only popular on forums in the west the numbers don't reflect the vocal minorities online who stan.

Do not want.

Just get Arcsys to make a licensed Samurai Showdown game for SNK. KOF is only popular on forums in the west the numbers don't reflect the vocal minorities online who stan.

yea, can't grow when you always ship busted online modes. can't get bigger with that online attitude.

BadWolf

A bit off topic, but I was under the impression that this was just some other Daisuke Ishiwatari, oddly enough. I don't think GG Daisuke worked on Last Blade.

Dunno, both the Last Blade and Guilty Gear wikis state that he worked at SNK and on LB.

yea, can't grow when you always ship busted online modes. can't get bigger with that online attitude.

Tell that to SFV, Tekken 7 etc.

Shipping with day 1 online issues is nothing new. What matters is how quickly they are fixed and SNK fixed them within a week (i.e. as fast as possible since it takes minimum of a week to approve a patch by Sony).

Mephala

As a fg fan, if the devs feel like making it I'm already interested. We're talking about two of my favourite fighting game developers here, even if they don't work out well I'll probably still see some enjoyment out of it.

I feel like Harada needs to get his uber-crossover together of all the major and minor fighting game series over with, just see we can finally see every possible permutation.

Hell, EVO just threw ArcSys x French Bread and Namco x SNK into the mix. Only hold-out for a weirdo cross-company crossover at this point is NRS (no, MK vs DC doesn't really count).

Shipping with day 1 online issues is nothing new. What matters is how quickly they are fixed and SNK fixed them within a week (i.e. as fast as possible since it takes minimum of a week to approve a patch by Sony).

yea, those are way bigger in the west and already established. it's easier to forgive and wait.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I feel like Harada needs to get his uber-crossover together of all the major and minor fighting game series over with, just see we can finally see every possible permutation.

Hell, EVO just threw ArcSys x French Bread and Namco x SNK into the mix. Only hold-out for a weirdo cross-company crossover at this point is NRS (no, MK vs DC doesn't really count).

NR mechanics and characters wouldn't really work too well in a X(anyone else).

I'm not even sure how I would feel about ASW X SNK. I just want SNK to revive some other franchises and get to work on KOF XV.

Gren

I don't care for ArcSys games (aesthetically & mechanically), but much like with Marvel, I'd still play it for the other half that I do love.

I don't care for ArcSys games (aesthetically & mechanically), but much like with Marvel, I'd still play it for the other half that I do love.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'd gladly pick up a ArcSys crossover/developed SNK title.

I checked out the YouTube comments for the Geese in Tekken trailer and there are a lot of people saying they have no idea who this guy is but he looks cool and can't wait to play him. If SNK can find a way to get themselves out there with more stuff like this, I think they could really get themselves out of that retro cult niche they're currently stuck in. As I said in the other thread, allowing their characters in something like a new Project X Zone would work really well too.

Shin

Banned
I like my idea a lot more, but yeah SNK shouldn't try 3D they are horrible at it.

aec39a6ac5.png

Forward

And there was mention previously of Arcsys approaching Capcom to make Arcsys vs.Capcom but then the deal fell through when Capcom wanted to screw them over with a crappy deal.

This is the most unsurprising news to me, in like ever. I'd written it off in my head that way, for years now. Sad to know I was correct.

As to the greater topic at hand... HELLZ YEA. Let's get some Terry, Kenshiro, Sol dream bouts going down!

Forward

I like my idea a lot more, but yeah SNK shouldn't try 3D they are horrible at it.

aec39a6ac5.png

What I see as the perfect solution:

Namco boots Soul Calibur's corpse off a cliff with far greater efficiency than Heiachi

SNK sells Samurai Showdown to Namco

Namco reboots Samurai Showdown

Universal Profit

Shin

Banned
What I see as the perfect solution:

Namco boots Soul Calibur's corpse off a cliff with far greater efficiency than Heiachi

SNK sells Samurai Showdown to Namco

Namco reboots Samurai Showdown

Universal Profit

I rather SS doesn't go 3D to be honest, that whole realistic look Namco and the lot are going for ain't my thing.
But yeah on-topic I would love to see a cross over with SNK/ASW as long as it uses GGxRD tech, just look at DBFZ.

How would that be niche? If SNK even tries to do something beyond King of Fighters a lot of people would lose their minds. Like me.

Why hasn't SNK created an SNK fighting game with all their IPs again?

Gren

How would that be niche? If SNK even tries to do something beyond King of Fighters a lot of people would lose their minds. Like me.

Why hasn't SNK created an SNK fighting game with all their IPs again?
They did. Even more blatant than KOF was Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

I wouldn't mind a new one not based off SVC Chaos' engine.

WarRock

Put Terry in Xrd, thx.
And Terumi on KOF.

More seriously, anything both companies do together are of my interest. It's great seeing fighting game teams cooperating in general.

Next KOF by Arcsys would be heaven, but unlikely.

How about we start slow and just have them remake KOF '98? That way we can test the idea without replacing an entire team.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Huge SNK fan of old.

The best thing to happen would be for ArcSys to give access to their modified DBZ UE4 to let SNK create a new game along with the MUCH better NetCode. KOF14 looks wack as fuck and NetCode sucks.

& please for the love of god don't make it another KOF game SNK have so many amazing IP's just sick of them putting out so many KOF games.

A new Samurai Shodown or MOTW many people would kill for.

vala

False. He has always worked for Arc.
Check this:
http://www.vgmonline.net/daisukeishiwatari/

And there was mention previously of Arcsys approaching Capcom to make Arcsys vs. Capcom but then the deal fell through when Capcom wanted to screw them over with a crappy deal. So from this we get that Arcsys has been interested in doing a cross over fighter for a while.

Source?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd like to see them cross over for their mutual benefit. Combining their strengths on a product could probably make something really interesting. Geese got more realistic in Tekken, so a more modern anime take on Classic SNK, and more grounded, middle of the road takes on some ASW characters by SNK would be pretty fun to see.

It'd be nice to see some SNK rep in the BlazBlue CrossOver TagBattle. Even if that took reimaging an SNK character to fit the ASW style (Really, someone like Asura would probably slide right into their aesthetic), it'd be a nice way to test the waters. What SNK rep would work in GGXRD? Classic SamSho doesn't really gel as nice with me, but someone like Iroha would probably feel nicely at home?

With EVERYONE getting in on the cross characters, KoF XIV could probably use someone. SNK is already working well with Atlus, they already have some Persona characters show they can jump into a fighter... Maybe a guest team could have someone from all companies involved working together? And Sega is under this umbrella too... The side of me that see Geese VS Heihachi as a dream battle I didn't know I wanted, could see Goro Majima VS Yamazaki in an equally awesome light. I always though Axel of GG and Billy Kane meeting could be interesting. I'd probably like their take on Blazblue's Bullet more than the original, ha.

In the end, there's something each company holds, that the workers at another have some passion over. Getting them to intermingle and make those connections that make some degree of sense could lead to great stuff for everyone.

tzare

While i am not a huge fan of ArcSys games,but i really think that they have great art style so yes, more fighting games, and companies working together to expand the genre is good!

However as some said, and considering the recent move to 3D models for KOF, i think it is more factible that Arc made a new Samsho or The LastBlade instead of using KOF (or FatalFury/AOF) characters in crossover because it would lead to comparisons and and worthless 2D vs D battle imo.
But hopefully something will happen , whatever it is.

Dunno, both the Last Blade and Guilty Gear wikis state that he worked at SNK and on LB.

Did they? Last time I tried to play it with a friend a month ago, the online felt like I was swimming through water/molasses.

Top Bottom