• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds tops 5 million sold (was 4 million a month ago)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Almost exactly one month ago, Battlegrounds was announced to have sold 4 million copies in 3 months.

Well, it's moved another million in the proceeding month, seemingly to have barely slowed down at all.

Owners: 5,053,512 ± 60,636

Source: http://steamspy.com/app/578080

If it keeps up this rate, it should overtake H1Z1's 6.3 million in 2-3 months.

Xater

Just crazy.

I am still super curious which AAA even will copy the formula first. It just has to happen. I mean Ubi already hinted at it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just crazy.

I am still super curious which AAA even will copy the formula first. It just has to happen. I mean Ubi already hinted at it.

Ubisoft was surveying about a mode like this for The Division before PUBG came out (presumably on the success of H1Z1), so I'm guessing that.

Joeku

Fucking janky bullshit
that I can't stop playing.

Just crazy.

Division 2 "Darkzone Survival" mode. They got part of the way there in the first one already.

MoogPaul

Picked it up myself a couple weeks ago. Fun game, solod are intense and squads are a blast although I don't have too many friends playing atm. Looking forward to new map and buttoning down that memory issue :/

I'll be interested to see how many they can sell before the official release, especially with the Xbox Game Preview program. It would be nice to see more games giving early access like this.

Xater

Fucking janky bullshit
that I can't stop playing.

Division 2 "Darkzone Survival" mode. They got part of the way there in the first one already.

Part if the way, but not really. It especially lacks the scale.

Just crazy.

Don't know, but I imagine there's a race to try and beat PUBG to consoles at this point. I'm sure console-only gamers are thirsty for this style of game.

pislit

playing with friends is always funny.

playing alone is giving me real stress that manifests into physical illness like crying.

it's janky and it's rough and i love it. well deserved.

jdmonmou

Amazing achievement for an amazing game. These kind of games always catch me by surprise. The last game that got me addicted to it like this was Rocket League.

I wonder if e-sports are in the future plans for this game. This is one of the only few games I get a kick out of watching other people play on Twitch.

Yaari

Is it likely that it will perform better in the future? Or are games like this very demanding in general.

Pooya

If they eventually manage to polish this up and fix all the technical issues that are holding it back by the time it launches, it's the best game I've played in a very long time.

The feelings it provokes are very real and unlike most games you can find out there. Making decisions on the go and seeing it pay off is so satisfying and when it doesn't, you generally learn something for future. Of course some games just get decided by bad luck but that's ok. I don't feel I need to get to #1 to enjoy this game.

Lifeline

I played it for a while, but went back to being addicted to Overwatch.

I'll give it another shot when it comes to PS4 or a new map comes out on PC.

I would like a smaller map, with less running around 70% of the game time.

Ladekabel

To think I dismissed as a scam because of the font in the logo and the screenshots looking like just another survival MMO and now it is one of my most played games currently.

Amazing! And Playerunknown is a nice and cool dude, too!

Akronis

Nah, that'll ruin the flow. The downtime is a huge part of the game. Having the huge swath of land makes everything super tense because you know you could get shot from 400+ meters away at any time.

EndersAres

Neo Member
This is a really good game. I hope this inspires other developers to make good shooters again. It seemed like after CoD and Battlefield came around good shooters started to disappear. Here we are now with a game like this crushing both of those titles on pc. People don't mind learning to play games. I thought the rise of the moba would make mainstream developers realize that but they seem to not care. This game has the potential to be as big as counter strike.

It's a fucking monstrosity. It's THE GAME that I know will end up competing with CS:GO and DOTA 2 on the concurrent players list. Hell, right now the game "only" has about 160k less concurrent players than CS:GO. By the end of the year, if it continues like that, it'll trade blows with DOTA 2.

From talking to devs and looking at sales numbers there, Steamspy is notoriously unreliable. I'm not sure why their numbers are being used as facts...

Aside from really small games and a few bugs that appeared before, it's been shown to be pretty damn reliable, what are you talking about?

Steel

Banned

No, a big part of the game is the feel of being on a roadtrip with your squad.

Genuine question, but what makes this game different from others out there like it? Such as, rust,h1z1. I don't have a gaming pc anymore, so I don't follow pc gaming like I used to, but I've seen a lot about this game and know hardly anything about it

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Genuine question, but what makes this game different from others out there like it? Such as, rust,h1z1. I don't have a gaming pc anymore, so I don't follow pc gaming like I used to, but I've seen a lot about this game and know hardly anything about it

The way the game works is that 100 players jump out of an airplane with no equipment, and then scavenge a giant map looking for guns, armor, and other such tools.

The goal is to kill every other player on the map and be the last person standing.

The valid playable area keeps shrinking as well, so there's potentially more and more action as the match goes on, and helps to ensure people can't just camp in one location forever.

H1Z1 is similar (and was worked on by the same person), as is the original ARMA mod (which was also the same person), but basically this game is built ground up for this particular type of gameplay, whereas those other two are products that were adapted to work with a mode like this. Think of it like Dota in Warcraft 3 versus Dota 2, and the benefits that came along from having a dedicated product in terms of feel and functionality.

Also it's on a much better technology base and by a generally solid developer, so it looks better and moves much quicker in development to boot.

Papacheeks

Banned

This is one part survival, one part squad based shooting, one part everyone for them selves.

It's the ultimate tactical game that can be wacky fun, or super tight tactical gameplay.

You have to use your compass to call out things, like enemy positions, air drops etc.

Plus the actual play area that changes forces you to not stay in one place.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Cannot wait for this to come to consoles. I think there is a huge, thirsty audience for it if they make it run decently at all.

Ubisoft and the rest will be watching closely at the success of PUBG when it launches on Xbox later this year. Ghost Recon or Division both fit the mold so well already, just need tweaks.

Naarmight

I stand corrected, then.

It is also worth nothing Steamspy was actually showing less than 4 Million, when PUBG officially announced it had passed 4 million sales, so it was lagging behind if anything

Also amazing game, I have already racked up 80 hours on it, really looking forward to another map, but 100% worth the early access plunge

Can anyone help an uninformed but interested potential player with some questions?

Battle Royal, 100 player deathmatch to last man standing. What happens when you die, you can immediately go to another match?

Is it implied that playing w a microphone is preferred?

Is there a tutorial mode?

How much time must you invest in each play session to have a good experience?

What is the typical length of each 'match?'

Once you buy the game, are there any more in-game purchases you have to make to make the game more appealing and/or have a better experience while playing, or is it cosmetics? Are there microtransactions?

Thanks in advance anyone who replies.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Can anyone help an uninformed but interested potential player with some questions?

Battle Royal, 100 player deathmatch to last man standing. What happens when you die, you can immediately go to another match?
Yes, immediately

No, unless doing Duos or Squads no need for microphone

Not currently

It may take anywhere from 50-100 games to start performing consistently well. I'd say you'll have fun as soon as you understand the basic mechanics and strategies though and progress from a top 50, to top 20, to top 10, to finally winner.

Almost always around 30 minutes, due to the shrinking circles at set time intervals

Once you buy the game, are there any more in-game purchases you have to make to make the game more appealing and/or have a better experience while playing, or is it cosmetics? Are there microtransactions?
Cosmetic only, no pay to play strategies here.

Kyougar

if you are not waiting for surviving squad members, you can go into the next game

you cant communicate with enemies, not even a chat, and thats good. Team play is heavily reliant on a mic

No, but before the match you have ca. 2 minutes to try out weapons without damage to players before you board the plane

depends on your type of fun. If you want, you can drop with other players in the same region and try to punch them to death and possibly die in the first minute. Or you lay in wait until the blue wall of death gets you to change position, or you have the rare example where the point where you are staying is near the last point and you can wait till last and snipe the last persons.
OR you grab a bike or jeep and do a roadtrip

2 to 40 minutes until you are dead or won, depends on your luck and agressive type of play and fun

clothes cosmetics that you earn points for through playing

Thanks in advance anyone who replies.

Yes, immediately

No, unless doing Duos or Squads no need for microphone

Not currently

It may take anywhere from 50-100 games to start performing consistently well. I'd say you'll have fun as soon as you understand the basic mechanics and strategies though and progress from a top 50, to top 20, to top 10, to finally winner.

Almost always around 30 minutes, due to the shrinking circles at set time intervals

Cosmetic only, no pay to play strategies here.

if you are not waiting for surviving squad members, you can go into the next game

you cant communicate with enemies, not even a chat, and thats good. Team play is heavily reliant on a mic

No, but before the match you have ca. 2 minutes to try out weapons without damage to players before you board the plane

depends on your type of fun. If you want, you can drop with other players in the same region and try to punch them to death and possibly die in the first minute. Or you lay in wait until the blue wall of death gets you to change position, or you have the rare example where the point where you are staying is near the last point and you can wait till last and snipe the last persons.
OR you grab a bike or jeep and do a roadtrip

2 to 40 minutes until you are dead or won, depends on your luck and agressive type of play and fun

clothes cosmetics that you earn points for through playing

Thank you both! Its on my radar now :D

Kyougar

*You are dropping in the north, scavanging the ruins when you look at the map and see the initial circle is around the military base in the south.
No bike or care anywhere, you run down the hill to the river, seeing a lonely boat, praying it has enough fuel.
Getting you and your teammates onto the boat in a professional manner is tricky but you do it after chugging a redbull and pills for the autoregen.
The river runs to the east to the ocean and you must get to the south but the blue wall of death is closing in, so you just have to do it.
You are driving the boat east, already inside the blue wall, eating your health.
You are on 3/4th health before you even do the first turn south in the ocean.
You navigate the sandbanks, praying that you dont beach the boat
You make it outside the blue wall on 1/10th health, losing 2 other members because they didnt doubleregen.
And get killed by a squad waiting on the rocks on the beach.*

#justpubgthings

The sales over time graph has been crazy to see. It has almost been linear since launch. I guess it's what a massive word of mouth success looks like. Look at any big release, the sales are massively front loaded and plateau pretty quickly.

Can't wait to jump in on Xbox. 😀

I watch a lot of streams of this game on mixer. It's a blast to watch, just as much as it seems to be to play.

dezzy8

Picked it up myself a couple weeks ago. Fun game, solod are intense and squads are a blast although I don't have too many friends playing atm. Looking forward to new map and buttoning down that memory issue :/
Play duo or squads. You are bound to get matched up with some cool people. I found some cool people who I group up with to play just from matchmaking duos and squad matches.

FinKL

Quite an amazing feat, playing Solo vs Duo/Squad is night and day too so people that have the game are probably getting friends to hop on with them

Movement is janky still (jumping over things) but I absolutely LOVE the sounds in this game. Love hearing gun battles in the distance and the crack and whizzing of bullets

Yudoken

This game is a lot of fun in a squad.

Sadly one of my friend has issues with his rig (GTX 960 (prob. 2gb vram, i5 intel cpu with no details, SSD) has quite a lot of loading issues.

His PC is on its limit and it's going to be interesting how the Xbone version will run.

Ekid

Not surprised, I can't stop playing even though I never play TPS/FPS.

First TPS I'm playing since TF2 like 8-9 years ago.

GodofWine

I wonder how many people bought/built their first gaming PCs for this, I get the impression the "I need a PC' thread has been way more popular over the last few months, totally anecdotal, but I have a hunch this game shifted some 'consoles' to 'pc'.

Im in that bucket.

MUnited83

For you.
From talking to devs and looking at sales numbers there, Steamspy is notoriously unreliable. I'm not sure why their numbers are being used as facts...
? You've heard it enormously wrong. Steamspy is known for being notoriously reliable. It might need a adjustment to the algorithm every now and then but it is accurate the vast majority of the time.

big fake

I never understand the massive appeal of these games. They don't seem to play all that well and seem to be janky in animation/graphics. These multiplayer games like H1Z1/DayZ just don't click with me and would rather see some smaller games get attention ya know?

Top Bottom