• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disenchantment (new Netflix cartoon from Matt Groening) premieres 2018

20 episodes ordered for the project, which has been in the works for over a year and a half.

Stars Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon and Eric Andre

Deadline said:
Set in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, the series will follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young princess Bean (Jacobson), her feisty elf companion Elfo (Faxon), and her personal demon Luci (Andre). Along the way, the oddball trio will encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools. Also voicing characters are John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman, Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding and Lucy Montgomery.

tomtom94

Disenchantment – a name we hope doesn't end up being prophetic – has been billed as an adult animated comedy fantasy series, so in other words, it'll be great.

Just tell me that doesn't scream "cancelled after one series".

Makonero

Need to see it before I can really comment, but I loved Futurama, so there's a chance I'll love this.

2D art though, gotta be 2D art.

eXistor

Love that cast, especially the British side is interesting! Can't wait to see more. The article mentions "his trademark animation style" so I guess it'll be in the same style then?

Danneee

I'm totally up for some fantasy cartoon comedy.

Such a shame that that barbarian show never got more than one episode:(

I'm not sure Matt Groening has anything interesting left to say. I didn't care for the Futurama revival at all, and the Simpsons hasn't been funny this century. So having not enjoyed any of his output for the last 13 years, it's hard for me to be excited. Though I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, golden age Simpsons and early Futurama are among the best shows of all time.

was Groening a big part of the success of Simpsons and Futurama?

I mean of course he created the shows, but i always thought the success was more do to the other writers of the show, and not him

5taquitos

Any word on who else from any of his past production staffs will be onboard? Groening's work was always made better by more competent writers and producers.

Edit: Looks like Josh Weinstein is in, interested to see who else comes along.

Matt Groening doesn't really fill me with hype, he didn't do much on the Simpsons except create the family.

I'm interested though.
Eh his old life is hell comic strips were hilarious and the early Simpsons shorts on the Tracey Ullman show were great as well. Much darker than Simpsons and futurama. I'm hopeful he'll bring some of that style with him to this new show considering its an "adult" show

tbm24

Great to hear! Been a lack of Abby in my life since broad city hasn't come back yet :(.

Not sure how I didn't notice Eric Andre too? My word, this has so much potential.

Futureman

Definitely interested. I just had a vivid daydream the other day that Matt paid me $1 million to design characters for a cartoon.

Majora

was Groening a big part of the success of Simpsons and Futurama?

I mean of course he created the shows, but i always thought the success was more do to the other writers of the show, and not him

I don't want to shit on Groening because he's clearly a talented guy. But if you listen to the audio commentaries for the early seasons on The Simpsons DVDs it really becomes abundantly clear very quickly that it was predominantly Sam Simon and James L.Brooks who turned it into the success it was, backed by incredible writers. Practically every other anecdote is about the contribution those two made to the very foundations of the show.

Then later on you can mainly thank David Mirkin and Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein for keeping it fresh and taking it in different directions from Seasons 5-8. Again, listen to the commentaries for those seasons and Groening's input at that point seems minimal at best.

Futurama I'm less well versed in but I know Ken Keeler and David Cohen, two writers he brought over from The Simpsons, played a big part in establishing that show too.

Again, I'm not saying he can't take some credit for these shows but the way their success is often solely credited to him in the media is highly misleading.

Futureman

Pretty much... aside from being decidedly anti-Trump.
He led a "lock him up" chant during Comic-Con last weekend.

enhanced-buzz-27157-1340555057-3.jpg

last two panels.

If you read his old Life In Hell stuff, Groening was always hilarious and liberal as hell.

He may not have been the single largest proprietor of Simpsons and Futuramas quality, but I trust him to know what he is doing and have the right people doing the right stuff.

Top Bottom