• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem thread

PA.70283.001.jpg

Title: Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem
Developer: Treasure
Publisher: Sega
Genre: 2D fighter
Site: http://bleach.sega.jp/nds2/
JPN Release Date: Febuary 15th 2007
US Release Date: N/A. Heck, the first game isn't out in US yet

Game itself: Bleach DS 2nd is the sequel to the superb Bleach DS game which did fairly well. The new game will introduce a whole host of new characters as well as keeping the original 26 (2 of which were clones). The game will have single and multi-cart play, as well as online play.

Touch screen use:
Card system - Each player has access to certain "cards" at the bottom of the screen that can change certain stats of both themselves or their enemies in battle. Players design what cards are accessible to them via a "deck builder". Each player will have four cards at any one point accessible to them. These cards are activated by simply touching them and their powers will be activated for a certain amount of time before disappearing and being replaced by a new card at the bottom. Each card has a certain number, located on the bottom of the card. These numbers indicate the strength and cost of the card. Each player starts with a certain amount of "stock", which is used up by activating cards. Each time a card is used, that player's stock is deducted by the cost of the card.

Simple special/super move input - Just tap the button on the touch-screen to do the special move <_<

Character list (Complete list, check link for updates and short movies): http://bleach.sega.jp/nds2/chara/home.html
Ichigo Kurosaki
Hollow Ichigo
Rukia Kuchiki
Orihime Inoue
Uryu Ishida
Yasutora "Chad" Sado
Ganju Shiba
Renji Abarai
Byakuya Kuchiki
Gin Ichimaru
Kenpachi Zaraki
Toshiro Hitsugaya
Momo Hinamori
Kaname Tosen
Sajin Komamura
Mayuri Kurotsuchi
Shunsui Kyoraku
Jushiro Ukitake
Soifon
Shigekuni Yamamoto-Genryusai
Yoruichi Shihouin
Sosuke Aizen
Nemu Kurotsuchi
Yachiru Kusajishi
Kon
Bonnie
Tatsuki Arisawa
Kisuke Urahara *
Ururu Tsumugiya *
Kukaku Shiba *
Yuichi Shibata *
Don Kanonji *
Ririn *
Shuhei Hisagi *
Izuru Kira *
Ikkaku Madarame *
Rangiku Matsumoto *
Hanataro Yamada *
Menos Grande *
Grand Fisher *
Shrieker *
Tsukaima (Shrieker spawn) *
Shinigami (generic story character) *
Nurse (generic story character)

*=New

Some screens:

bleach-ds-2nd-20060714011627410.jpg
bleach-ds-2nd-20060714011627769.jpg

bleach-ds-2nd-20060714011628129.jpg
bleach-ds-2nd-20060714011629113.jpg

Some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnQSRjqYsS8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOdEdCmODbk

Reviews:
Famitsu: 8/7/8/8 = 30/40

Does anyone know if the anime showing on adult swim is getting good ratings? Would give sega an excuse to bring the games over. DS is seriously lacking good fighters.

I remember reading that Bleach manga sales have risen since it was shown on adult swim, but that was a while back, i don't know how well it is doing right now.

Kreed

Probationsmack said:
Does anyone know if the anime showing on adult swim is getting good ratings? Would give sega an excuse to bring the games over. DS is seriously lacking good fighters.

Based on the last Adult Swim viewer/ratings commercial I saw, Bleach is doing pretty well. Not "Futurama/Family Guy/Boondocks" well, but better than most Adult Swim animes.

Though if Sega does decide to bring the games over, they'll probably wait until the anime catches up story wise.

I'm hoping there are some random Bounto in there considering they freaking put Ririn in, but hey I'm all good with Ulquiorra and Grimmjaw.

I also love how Kon is almost a shoto clone with his fireball, tatsu, and shoryu. XD

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Does anyone know some complaints for this game? Whats the reason for the 30/40 famitsu score?

Does anyone know what the first one got?

Toma said:
Does anyone know some complaints for this game? Whats the reason for the 30/40 famitsu score?

Does anyone know what the first one got?

The first game got 31/40 iirc

Review details by SSJLink (dont know where he got info from)

The game looks and plays pretty much like the first game. They added a lot of characters to do a service for the fans. Playing the game is fun. 4player battle is too disorganized. Story mode is pretty easy to follow and the games modes seem to be too similar. Also, if you liked the first game, you will like this game (seemed like a no-brainer to me).

LOL, for the most part it seems like the same game with new characters. I'm still interested in that adventure mode though. I wonder how that held up.

i'd like to hear more about that adventure mode too..
I wasn't going to get this game, due to my loss of interest for the actual manga & anime..but playable Don Kanonji..that sells it straight!

hopefully the online will be less laggy this time round.

Martial Loh said:
i'd like to hear more about that adventure mode too..
I wasn't going to get this game, due to my loss of interest for the actual manga & anime..but playable Don Kanonji..that sells it straight!

hopefully the online will be less laggy this time round.

if adventure mode was pretty much like Guardian Heroes, then that would be awsome.

and yeah, the lag in the first one was horrible, I remember playing a set of 10 matches against one guy with terrible lag and as soon as I went to a game without a lot of lag, it felt like everything was 4 times faster.

colinp

Banned
Approx which episode of the anime/manga does this reach up to?

and, if you know, which episode did the first game reach up to?

Linkzg said:
if adventure mode was pretty much like Guardian Heroes, then that would be awsome.
Definitely, even if it was 80% like Guardian Heroes, it will be pure bliss (granted the engine the Bleach games run on are really similar).

Canti

colinp said:
Approx which episode of the anime/manga does this reach up to?

and, if you know, which episode did the first game reach up to?

The first game went up to the end of Soul Society arc (about ep 65/chapter 180). As this game only cointains some Bounto and Arrancar, its harder to judge its position. It has Grimmjaw so I guess its currently ahead of the anime (slightly), which would place it around ep 120/chapter 210.

Preordered my copy from Playasia but I assume it wont be coming with the Kon DSL pouch :/

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm tempted to buy this out of treasure completism, but it doesn't seem like they've added anything that interesting, and i'm not crazy about portable fighting games :/

Apparently, there werea few rumours going on that Treasure were making their own story arc in the game, so there could be brand new original characters in the game.

Anyways, Menos Grande is in the game.

14.jpg

LegatoB

I'm totally pumped for Bleach DS Championship Edition. Hello, Treasure 2D netplayable fighting game! :D Redrawn (and hopefully no longer banned for brokenness) Kenpachi and Don Kanonki? Hell yeah. It'd be nice if they made Tatsuki not completely gimped in this one, too.

It looks like ol' voice-sample-and-palette-swap Ichigo has some actually distinct moves this time. That's a nice plus, I guess.

TreIII

drohne said:
i'm tempted to buy this out of treasure completism, but it doesn't seem like they've added anything that interesting, and i'm not crazy about portable fighting games :/

Eh, to me, I think we've come a long way since the early days when Capcom tried to some how put SF2 on the original GB. And they're hopefully only going to get better from here on in, such that portable fighters may eventually be able to cater to a different scene altogether, much like how Smash enjoys a following mostly seperate of "traditional" Arcade/console fighters.

As for this game? At this point, I'm a bit more interesting Banpresto/Dimps "Draglade", if only because it looks a bit more fresh than a spiced up helping of last year's offering. Nevertheless, I do plan to pick this title up sooner or later.

And while I'm glad that Treasure has a reliable way to get a decent cash flow now, I'm hoping that they won't limit themselves to anime/manga-liscense tie-ins for such games like this. I really would like to see them do a completely original brawler/fighter again, like Guardian Heroes before it.

Canti

flipping_heck said:
645 has upped a photo of the final character screen and given out a list of all the characters in the game (44 in total). Photo below.

http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/bds2/15.png

Like many people will undoubtedly be, I'm pretty unimpressed with the final character line up. The official website shilloettes a few characters that everyone speculated would be fan favourites, but they turn out to be major letdowns (such as "generic shinigami" and "nurse"). It would have been better if they revealed such characters early as to not raise fans hopes - who's going to say "oh wow they put Shrieker/Ririn etc in". That said, I'm still getting it for the fighting/wifi battles, but it isn't what I was hoping for. :/

Aurora

Hmm. Some of the new characters look like they could be interesting to play as (Shrieker, Ururu and Kukaku come to mind).

To be honest, I am rather disappointed with this effort. The game seems to run virtually identical to the first, and it seems like they've barely revised the old characters (at least Aizen uses his Zanpakutou and Hollow Ichigo actually has his own movepool this time).

The animation should have been improved, and I'm seeing the same old stage backgrounds...

Having said that, it seems like the story in this version is significantly improved, but I hope they've removed the retarded requirements for unlocking some of the characters. I also hope they've made the costumes far more exciting and worthwhile compared to the pathetic palette swaps of the first game.

One thing I've noticed from looking at the clips is that the cards seem to be a lot more like the support komas found in Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, with characters actually appearing on the screen for assistance. What I hope above all is that the cards actually add to the gameplay rather than destroy it as they did in the first game.

On a side note, is it just me or has damage dealt/received been vastly increased in this game?

LegatoB

Aurora said:
To be honest, I am rather disappointed with this effort. The game seems to run virtually identical to the first, and it seems like they've barely revised the old characters (at least Aizen uses his Zanpakutou and Hollow Ichigo actually has his own movepool this time).
Welcome to fighting game sequels.

The animation should have been improved, and I'm seeing the same old stage backgrounds...
It has been improved for several characters, most notably Kenpachi, who recieved a complete redraw. There have also been a number of new stages in the screenshots and movies on the site.

I also hope they've made the costumes far more exciting and worthwhile compared to the pathetic palette swaps of the first game.
They have not and will not, because doing anything other than a "pathetic palette swap" would require drawing a large number of new sprites; effort which could have been spent on entirely new characters.

Re: roster bitching. I have no problem with the final roster because I don't give a crap about the anime this game is based on anymore, so all that matters to me is that they add new characters who will be fun to use. I don't care if they don't add (insert new character here who has barely participated in any fighting in the anime, which is what these games will always sync up with [sorry manga readers]) as long as the new people they do add are fun to use. Besides, you can't top Don Kan'onji. He's all the man you need.

Aurora

Well, those are fair points.

Seeing as I loved the first game so much I'm still really excited about this one. With loads more characters this can only be better - right? I wonder why Famitsu gave it a lower score though. I guess it's because it's just "more of the same"?

The game is technically out in 6 minutes. Bring it on.

LegatoB

Play-Asia's already shipped my copy. I'm glad I ordered it last month! :lol I'll post my friend code as soon as I get it so I can have some lag-reduced meatsacks to beat up with my man Don Kan'onji.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'll be picking the game up in around 30 minutes. Impressions a bit later on.

Ferrio

Banned
After *really* enjoying Jump Ultimate Stars, I actually am interested in this one and would like to hear those impressions.

Lyte Edge

Ferrio said:
After *really* enjoying Jump Ultimate Stars, I actually am interested in this one and would like to hear those impressions.

Ferrio, this game is more like a traditional fighter, but with up to four fighters and line-switching a la Guardian Heroes. It's also got air combos.

I played only a bit so far (didn't get to play the game until about a half hour ago!), but it seems like pretty much what you'd expect from a sequel, I.E. "Bleach Champion Edition." :) The added(I can't remember if they were in the original; it's been too long!) characters seem unique, like Kon, and the story mode is thankfully NOT like the first game, at least so far. It's far more straight forward.

Will post more on the game play and changes after I've played more and gone back and looked at what was in the original. I honestly forgot!

Lee N

Membre
Lyte Edge: Kon was in the original.

The playable characters in this game are the following (new additions in bold):

ichigo.png
rukia.png
orihime.png
chad.png

Ichigo Kurosaki, Rukia Kuchiki, Orihime Inoue, Yasutora 'Chad' Sado

uryu.png
yoruichi.png

Ury&#363; Ishida, Yoruichi Shihouin

ganju.jpg
kukaku.png
bonnie.jpg
shibata.jpg

Ganju Shiba, K&#363;kaku Shiba, Bonnie, Yuichi Shibata

genryusai.png
soifon.png
iduru.png
hanataro.png

Shigekuni Yamamoto-Genry&#363;sai, Soifon, Izuru Kira, Hanataro Yamada

hinamori.png
byakuya.png
renji.png
komamura.png

Momo Hinamori, Byakuya Kuchiki, Renji Abarai, Sajin Komamura

kyoraku.png
hisagi.png
hitsugaya.png
rangiku.png

Shunsui Ky&#333;raku, Sh&#363;hei Hisagi, T&#333;shir&#333; Hitsugaya, Rangiku Matsumoto

kenpachi.png
yachiru.png
ikkaku.jpg
mayuri.png

Kenpachi Zaraki, Yachiru Kusajishi, Ikkaku Madarame, Mayuri Kurotsuchi

nemu.png
ukitake.png

Nemu Kurotsuchi, J&#363;shir&#333; Ukitake

kon.jpg
tatsuki.jpg
kanonji.png
kisuke.png

Kon, Tatsuki Arisawa, Don Kanonji, Kisuke Urahara

ururu.png

Ururu Tsumugiya

aizen.png
ichimaru.png
tosen.png
hichigo.jpg

S&#333;suke Aizen, Gin Ichimaru, Kaname T&#333;sen, Hollow Ichigo*

gf.jpg
shrieker.jpg
tsukaima.jpg
menos.jpg

Grand Fisher, Shrieker, Tsukaima, Menos Grande

goteitaishi.jpg
kyugohanin.jpg
ririn.png

Goteitaishi, Kyugohanin, Ririn

(Also check out the character gallery on the official homepage for movies of all characters)

* Hollow Ichigo could be considered a new character in this game. He was in the first game but it was simply a clone of Ichigo, while in this game he has unique moves.

Lyte Edge

Cool, thanks for that. :) I've only read the first few volumes of the manga, and it was a while ago, so the majority of the characters are unknown to me.

What I've noticed so far is only with Ichigo (because of the story mode, which is now made up of branching paths you select instead of that crap against Renji in the first): He doesn't seem to have any new moves, but some of his existing moves have been tweaked...I think Treasure has worked on game balance, but whether or not it ends up that way (I doubt it) remains to be seen. His fireball is now a bit slower to come out, and his super form (Bankai?) now lasts for a shorter time.

Lee N

Membre
Lyte Edge said:
What I've noticed so far is only with Ichigo (because of the story mode, which is now made up of branching paths you select instead of that crap against Renji in the first)
That should make the game alot easier to play for people that doesn't know Japanese. In the first game you had to read, or at the very least use a translation guide, to be able to make your way through Ichigos story mode.

My copy of the game shipped yesterday, so now I only have to wait 1½ week for it to reach me :\

colinp

Banned
A_Lee_N said:
My copy of the game shipped yesterday, so now I only have to wait 1½ week for it to reach me :\

YesAsia is saying my order is "Searching from Suppliers," which makes complete sense. As far as I can tell from their Status Help, that is the closest they say to being shipped so I guess that must be a good thing, right? :lol

Lyte, keep those impressions coming! They're much appreciated my friend.

And thanks, A_Lee_N, for the character portrait post. I'm not very far into the anime, but I think I am at least familiar with half of the characters.

Aurora

Spent about 2 hours with the game.

So far I am rather impressed actually, despite its similarities with the first game. The story mode feels far less like a chore with some interesting minigame-type events popping up to keep things fresh. One minigame has you facing on Orihime on steroids (ultra fast) and the aim is to collect as many desserts scattered on the level before time runs out. She was proving too quick to beat traditionally so I cornered her and stabbed her to death, then proceeded to collect the desserts unchallenged. :lol
I also like how the story mode is set up: you have different branches with different missions, and sometimes a mission will be "locked" needing you to obtain a key found by beating other missions. Though simple in idea it actually works quite well and feels rewarding.

I've already unlocked around 5 characters simply by playing through the story mode which is a relief, no more retarded methods for unlocking characters.

The new characters I've played as are all unique and interesting, and I can tell they have even more potential waiting to be discovered. Urahara is already proving a firm favourite of mine with his blend of offensive and defensive skills making him an unpredictable character to face.

I was also glad to see that Yachiru has been tweaked greatly. They've replaced her broken Y move (fast kicks) with slower jabs which means no more cheap corner kills. They have also given her a few much needed new attacks, most notably her two variations of a spinning attack. Both the special and the super versions can be activated in the air making Yachiru an amazing aerial comboist.

That's all I have to report for the moment. I'll post further impressions throughout the day. :)

Mode

I've put a couple hours into it as well. Feels like a more definitive version of the first game. Story mode is OK, there are a lot of minigames that feel stupid and out of place. Internet play is much improved. I played 3 matches against who I think were jpaanese players and they werent as laggy as the previous game. There was also button for rematches which is awesome because the first game didnt have it(which is stupid.) Kinpachi's animation is way more fluid than before and some of the animations of the newer characters look pretty fluid. Despite the animation looking better in some places, it still looks stiff compared to the newer 2d fighters. Almost all the old characters have been tweaked in some way, mostly for balance purposes. "Hollow" Ichigo is now different enough from Ichigo that I wouldn't consider him a palette swap anymore. Yachiru has new moves, and trips over stuff for no reason. Chad doesn't flip before he dashes anymore, the short white haired guy looks to have 3 variations of Super A now. Aizen uses his sword and isn't as cheap as he was before... etc. I'm not going to list all the small changes, but there's a lot of small stuff. There are a lot of new stages, but does it really matter? They're usually plain and boring in terms of animation. I like the new music, personally. Worth $50 for ppl who already bought the first? At this point I dont know, but I'm leaning towards no, especially people that want to see Vaizards and Arrancars because this game is now behind the manga and anime. Wow.

I'm liking the game so far. Kira Izuru is pretty badass and so is Matsumoto. Other than that, there are some nice little touches which make it a good buy over the first one. Although there is some disappointment that there are no Arrancar, Vaizard, or even Bounto (although freaking Rinrin made it in), it's really enjoyable.

This was the first game I ordered from ncsx, from what I heard from friends who live near me, they ship much faster than play-asia (it took almost a month before I got Ouendan after it shipped, and I preordered it), hopefully its here by saturday so I can unlock everything and play online a lot before VF5.

Ferrio

Banned
How good is the online play? Jump didn't give me any problems even playing with people in Japan, how's this one fare in comparison?

colinp

Banned
A_Lee_N said:
Not to bum you out or anyting, but yesasia really messed up my first Bleach DS order about a year ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2788350&postcount=255

Haven't used YesAsia since..

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll wait and see what happens at this point, since it is too late to cancel my order. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed... Damn you YesAsia! I should have checked to see if it was GAF recommended!

Aww crap. I just checked my e-mail and they said it won't ship till Feb 27th. Wow. That's absurd. I'll see what I can do about cancelling it... ugh.

Keep the impressions coming guys!

Lee N

Membre
colinp said:
Aww crap. I just checked my e-mail and they said it won't ship till Feb 27th. Wow. That's absurd. I'll see what I can do about cancelling it... ugh.
Well, if my case is any indication (and it seems that it is), then they won't let you cancel the order. But I guess you could go all out and revoke the charge on your credit card.. but I never took it that far.

YesAsia are usually cheaper, but you pay for it by their lack of reliability. Granted, you'll get the items.. you just never know when.

Lyte Edge

Beat story mode yesterday and I currently have 28 characters. Missing two backgrounds. I noticed that at one point, I was unable to finish the main story grid, as it moved onto a new set of stages, so I think there may be some requirements for getting everyone unlocked after all.

EDIT: According to Gamefaqs, you replay story mode.
After Menos Grande, a new path opens up, and beating it a third time opens up another path...you can skip battles too

Lyte Edge

Still missing three characters after replaying story mode. It takes around four replays to get everything. No clue where the last few are since it seems that you get everyone in story mode, and I have every event unlocked.

EDIT: LOL, I completely forgot I had some fights on easy...I think you need to beat everything on normal to get 100%. Glad you can choose which fights to go through...

wow, ncsx is really amazing, paying for normal shipping and getting it the day after I ordered it is amazing (maybe its because NCSX is in new york and im in PA)

we should get 4 player gaf games going

Top Bottom