• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Pro Controller has the worst first party D-pad next to the Xbox 360's!

This is the very first time a Nintendo controller has ever even remotely let me down with a D-pad in my life. Even the tiny GC D-pad was better than this piece of hard plastic.

I bought my Switch 2 weeks ago alongside Zelda and a Pro Controller. It's brand new and since day one I've encountered it completely registers the wrong input.

I'll be fighting, a weapon breaks, I push RIGHT to change weapon and the Rune selection screen (i.e. the UP button) appears instead. I'll look down on the controller and my finger is firmly planted on the right directional button of the Dpad. And this happens very fucking often with every direction I push.

Before anyone tells me let me get this out of the way: I'm 31 years old. I've been playing videoganes since the NES and I've owned every single Nintendo home console since then. I owned a WiiU Pro Controller and I didnt have this problem either! I've used D-pad before and the only first party controller I've ever encountered a problem similar to this was with the 360's dreadful one. Never on any Playstation console and certainly not on any Nintendo pad ever before.

I used to say the made the best D-pads always but in between the joycons not even featuring a proper D-pad and the Switch Pro featuring such a stiff and hard edged piece of plastic that registers the incorrect inputs all that there is to say is that Sony has long since taken their title of the best D-pad ever which sits somewhere between the Vita's and the PS4's.

What happened?

Waggles

The d-pad is crap. I imagine we'll get a refresh with a better pad sometime next year.

Then again, this is nintendo
wtzgU.gif

vgamer1

I've never had issues in zelda. Only in frantic puyo, and then rarely.

The issue is there for me, albeit slightly, but seems to be more pronounced for others.

Seems to be a general issue. I must have hit the lottery with mine as I've yet to experience incorrect inputs with the Pro controller.

I have 3 pro controllers and never experienced this issue. It really seems like there is just a bad batch of pro controllers... or I just use mines differently than everyone else, lol.

VeeP

I think I got lucky with my Switch controller. When I first heard about this issue, I went to the main menu of the Switch and hit left multiple times, and more than once it registered Left as Up.

I was annoyed and disappointed, but I said oh well and kept playing Mario Kart and BotW.

Fast forward to last week, I tried the left button again, and it never registered as Up. So I guess my controller had a break in period and is fine now?

Besides that issue, I'm starting to think this is the best controller this (except Xbox Elite Controller) generation. It's more comfortable than the Xbox One Lunar White controller for me.

Hugstable

Banned
Had 2 bad controllers at first and exchanged them and got a good one with my third. The good one works pretty well overall and I haven't had any mistakes since getting it, even beat Level 5 difficulty KOF 98' with it lol

Caelus

I think there are a couple of faulty Pro controllers in circulation. Have had zero issues with mine (and I got it for 20 bucks off :p)

Try using a wired connection and see what happens.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yep, seriously it's Mad Catz level of awfulness. Even ignoring the incorrect inputs issue, the stiffness of it is mind boggling, like how could you do this after making some of the best dpads in the past?

PSGames

Agreed. I'm forced to use the Joy Cons to get a somewhat usable dpad. For the price it really is baffling.

VeeP

I think there are a couple of faulty Pro controllers in circulation. Have had zero issues with mine (and I got it for 20 bucks off :p)

Nope. There's a huge thread on GAF about this. A lot of people have experienced this issue. For us that don't, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Is this a case of it registering inputs like that of a sideways Joycon?

Or am I off base here

Im almost wondering if its a software issue as well

Caelus

Nope. There's a huge thread on GAF about this. A lot of people have experienced this issue. For us that don't, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Hmm, that's too bad then. Is it any worse on the Splatoon one?

My experience with it - perfect accuracy, but stiff.

me0wish

What happened?

No one cares it was bad on Wii U, why would they care it's bad on Switch?

I can't believe how no one is even complaining about how terrible the Switch's local multiplayer is, it's not even reliable for 1 vs 1 Arms, that's why I'm avoiding Pacman Vs, and that's a game I've been very eager to play for over a decade.

I've tested over 10 pro controllers wired/wireless/on pc, and the issue was always there on the same degree, there wasn't a controller that's better than the rest, they were all bad. It's a problem that even exists on the Wii U Pro, but it's a little bit better, and there aren't games that are dpad intensive on Wii U, so people didn't find a reason to complain.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I guess I got lucky. got a pro controller day 1 and haven't the incorrect input issue. I've tested it in the settings menu.

I wonder if it was just a bad batch of pro controllers or what

kunonabi

yeah, it's pretty terrible. I won't be picking up a switch until we get an improved dpad on the joycons themselves.

It has nothing to do with the connection, it's mechanical. If you hold one direction and rock your thumb you can feel it stiffly register the adjacent inputs.

The sensation is like the correct input is on a wobbly ledge that can easily tip the wrong way in either direction.

It's one of my least favourite Nintendo d-pads but I still prefer it to the one on the Dualshock 4 and stock Xbox One controller. Not had any input issues, I just think it's a little too stiff feeling.

Scrawnton

It sucks some people have had issues with their d pad but I have had none at all. I even played puyo puyo Tetris at a rapid pace for several nights and never noticed an issue.

Hopefully newer made ones fixed the issue a lot of people had. I'm grateful mine is fine.

I can't believe how no one is even complaining about how terrible the Switch's local multiplayer is, it's not even reliable for 1 vs 1 Arms, that's why I'm avoiding Pacman Vs, and that's a game I've been very eager to play for over a decade.

I never ever had this problem with my WiiU Pro and never knew anyone who had this problem either. Also that Dpad wasn't as stiff or sharp edged as this one.

To put it simply this is Nintendo's worst Dpad of all time. And I'm including the tiny GC one and the weird Virtual Boy one.

J@hranimo

Banned
The Splatoon themed Pro Controller is known to have a fixed dpad. I wouldn't write off a future version of the standard Pro Controller with that too yet.

I see you forget that the Gamecube D-pad exists with that thread title.

I see you didn't read the OP. I mentioned the GC D-pad and how I'd rather have that one than this one.

Yes it was tiny and was far from the best Nintendo D-pad but at least it registered my movements correctly 100% of the time.

I've tested over 10 pro controllers wired/wireless/on pc, and the issue was always there on the same degree, there wasn't a controller that's better than the rest, they were all bad. It's a problem that even exists on the Wii U Pro, but it's a little bit better, and there aren't games that are dpad intensive on Wii U, so people didn't find a reason to complain.

Wii U Pro Controller has one of my favourite d-pads ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

me0wish

I never ever had this problem with my WiiU Pro and never knew anyone who had this problem either. Also that Dpad wasn't as stiff or sharp edged as this one.

To put it simply this is Nintendo's worst Dpad of all time. And I'm including the tiny GC one and the weird Virtual Boy one.

I like the feel of the Switch's pro dpad, admittedly though, I didn't test it enough due how crap the input registration is. Maybe if I've used it more I'd agree with you.

Wii U Pro Controller has one of my favourite d-pads ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I love it as well, but it still suffers from unwanted inputs, you can easily see for your self by using it on a PC, not as bad as the switch's pro, but not perfect.

Arren

It is an objective design flaw that has been documented and unfortunately plagues what could otherwise be one of the most comfortable controller offering. I absolutely love the ergonomics of it, the large and mushy face buttons, the smooth bumpers and triggers, the way it so perfectly adapts to the hands... but the D-Pad is simply abysmal.

To all those who say theirs work perfectly: this is because you're not using the D-Pad in the way a fighting game enthusiast for example would be used to do. Try rocking your thumb from left to right and you are guaranteed to get ghost inputs.

I have analyzed the issue thoroughly. The cause of the problem lies in the spherical pivot at the base of the plastic cross which, in conjunction with the underneath rubber membrane being badly designed, leaves a lot of empty space when you press down on it. This makes it so that a simple rocking movement (think of wall-jumping in Super Metroid) can make the D-Pad go all the way down and press many directions at once, misfiring inputs.

The Splatoon themed Pro Controller is known to have a fixed dpad. I wouldn't write off a future version of the standard Pro Controller with that too yet.

Unfortunately no, it is still the same D-Pad as the one featured in the initial revisions. Nothing has been altered whatsoever.

The Xbox 360 D-Pad was just generally bad with the feel/etc until they implemented the transformable D-Pad controller.

The Switch Pro Controller D-Pad seems to be a manufacturing problem where some are good and some are bad - not "worse" in the sense of the 360, just a different problem.

I agree that the switch pro controller's dpad is very disappointing. It's a real shame since the controller is good otherwise (and super expensive). You'd think Nintendo of all companies would have the know how to make a dpad that doesn't suck :(

Mine also is bad,
But its incorrect input issue.

Whenever I am going left or right, in a menu or on a keyboard screen it will randomly jumble up or down, I'm think I must send it in and have it fixed. This isn't good at all. Nintendo was known for the best D-Pads in the industry, the rest of the controller is fantastic, sticks, feel in hand, buttons but the D-Pad *shudder*

pswii60

Are the Pro's buttons as clicky and noisy as the Joycons? It's fucking ridiculous if you want to quietly play some Switch late at night.

me0wish

That's false, I've tested 2 Splatoon controllers, they suffer from this problem as well.

lyrick

What happened?

probably a production mistake since the problem is somewhat common, but not affecting all units.

The problem looks like something between Dpad plungers and mainboard contacts which are causing the issue. I'm not sure if it's a design issue or a quality control issue given the inconsistency of the problem.

koss424

yeah, it's pretty terrible. I won't be picking up a switch until we get an improved dpad on the joycons themselves.

The joycon 'dpad' is very serviceable. I adjusted with no issue and don't see that as a reason not to own a Switch. Having said that, I've heard enough complaints about the Pro Controller that I'm waiting until I know that there are no more defective controller being retailed before purchasing.

JMY86

Agreed OP. I have very mixed feelings about the pro controller. I think the controller feels great in your hands and I really like the sticks but the dpad is not great, the buttons are too big and the triggers are awful. The pro controller is superior to the joy con's for sure but I really hope they have a revision in the works.

Chorazin

Yeah, it's a shame the king of the d-pad has fallen. I've had two ProCons now and they're both just awful. I'm always hard dropping in PPT when I don't want too.

It's a shame because literally everything else about the controller is amazing.

Zemm

It's really bad. I don't believe there's some dpad lottery. Just the way they're designed is bad.

J@hranimo

Banned
Unfortunately no, it is still the same D-Pad as the one featured in the initial revisions. Nothing has been altered whatsoever.

That's false, I've tested 2 Splatoon controllers, they suffer from this problem as well.

Weeeeeell crap. I guess the few people I know to have gotten them were just special cases then. They said they were much better and had tried pro controller before.

Top Bottom