• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Restricts Certain Game Capture And Voice Chat Apps

Xyber

My first thought was that this won't really do much. Someone will either figure out a way to get overlays working, or hackers will find a way to inject their cheats. Which in the end just punishes the regular consumer like a DRM would that gets cracked right away anyway.

Kyne

shitty thread title. Reading the article for more than 30 seconds will tell you how misleading it is.

GavinUK86

LOL that's hilarious. I use rivatuner with every single game to help with frametimes. Not allowing OBS/XSplit while in fullscreen? That's ridiculous. So you want us to play windowed/borderless while we stream? Okay Bungie, okay. Hopefully there's a way to hook in rivatuner else I won't be playing it. I've never heard of a team/game actively blocking stuff like this. Especially streaming software.

Blam

Lmao this entire thread needs to be locked. It's just spewing misinformation.

OP is completely wrong, and didn't research his post. You can still use Shadowplay's framerate counter.

You can still use a external cpu/gpu usage system. (Task Manager)

This actually makes perfect sense since they want to stop cheaters.

The above listed application features are examples of features that are known to be incompatible with Destiny 2 on PC. The examples listed on this page are not all encompassing, and players may encounter issues with the features of other applications that rely on code being inserted into the game client. Players are to run these applications' features at their discretion while running Destiny 2.

It's not even blocking anything.

PLEASE NOTE: Third-party applications which repeatedly attempt to insert code into the Destiny 2 PC client may potentially impact game performance. If players experience decreased performance when running certain applications alongside Destiny 2, their first step should be to ensure that any features of third-party applications which could potentially be attempting to insert code into Destiny 2 are disabled. If disabling such features does not resolve the performance impact, players may wish to try closing the third-party application.

tl;dr we tested some shit that we know works and if your program doesn't work tough shit.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Lmao this entire thread needs to be locked. It's just spewing misinformation.

OP is completely wrong, and didn't research his post. You can still use Shadowplay's framerate counter.

You can still use a external cpu/gpu usage system. (Task Manager)

This actually makes perfect sense since they want to stop cheaters.

It's not even blocking anything.

tl;dr we tested some shit that we know works and if your program doesn't work tough shit.

Oh wow LMAO.

LOL that's hilarious. I use rivatuner with every single game to help with frametimes. Not allowing OBS/XSplit while in fullscreen? That's ridiculous. So you want us to play windowed/borderless while we stream? Okay Bungie, okay. Hopefully there's a way to hook in rivatuner else I won't be playing it. I've never heard of a team/game actively blocking stuff like this. Especially streaming software.

I do happen to run my games windowed while streaming. But I also run a 3440x1440, so I need games windowed so I can see chat, etc. ;)

Some people in here seem to forget that when an application blocks RTSS it doesn't record FPS numbers even for later review/logging.

That part of the graph will just be blank. Same with Frametimes.

All the other stuff (GPU Temps, Usage, Power, etc...) will be logged since it's coming from the driver and not the game.

Blam

Some people in here seem to forget that when an application blocks RTSS it doesn't record FPS numbers even for later review/logging.

That part of the graph will just be blank. Same with Frametimes.

All the other stuff (GPU Temps, Usage, Power, etc...) will be logged since it's coming from the driver and not the game.

They just never tested it. So it could still work fine.

They just never tested it. So it could still work fine.

True, if it's just unsupported but if it's actively blocked (see any game with EAC prior to RTSS versions being whitelisted) then it will not work.

It all depends on how exactly Bungie is handling it.

Blam

True, if it's just unsupported but if it's actively blocked (see any game with EAC prior to RTSS versions being whitelisted) then it will not work.

It all depends on how exactly Bungie is handling it.

Knowing Bungie it'll be internal like Valve's and Blizzards. I don't see them outsourcing their anticheat.

Blam

windows 10 literally has built in recording, and streaming.......good luck

So no worries then.

Since also Nvidia has built in recording and now AMD does. It's literally no point to be annoyed. That and OBS still works which is nice as well.

Hardware Monitoring
Framerate and statistics overlays, such as those provided by EVGA Precision XOC, MSi Afterburner, and Fraps, are not compatible with Destiny 2.

Wait, so they just won't work, or you'll get banned for using them? I don't think there's any way to turn off Rivatuner from launching with Afterburner aside from uninstalling.

Knowing Bungie it'll be internal like Valve's and Blizzards. I don't see them outsourcing their anticheat.

I'd assume they'd partner with Blizzard's Overwatch team given that it's releasing on Battle.net, but I'm not sure if that's just a financial partnership or if they share devs (beyond Battle.net feature implementation).

Just seems like they don't want me to play their game. And I don't know why.

EDIT: Upon reading more closely, it sounds like these programs are "incompatible." Is that like saying that they just won't work? No other issues beyond that?

Sure would like my normal overlay to work. Going out of my way to find another method just for Destiny 2 might not be worth the hassle.

Blam

Wait, so they just won't work, or you'll get banned for using them? I don't think there's any way to turn off Rivatuner from launching with Afterburner aside from uninstalling.

I'd assume they'd partner with Blizzard's Overwatch team given that it's releasing on Battle.net, but I'm not sure if that's just a financial partnership or if they share devs (beyond Battle.net feature implementation).

I'd assume they just haven't been tested properly so they probably wont work.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm also pretty sure shadowplay has an FPS counter......so not sure what they are trying here. Maybe they don't want unofficial tech...............nothing here makes sense

PLEASE NOTE: Third-party applications which repeatedly attempt to insert code into the Destiny 2 PC client may potentially impact game performance. If players experience decreased performance when running certain applications alongside Destiny 2, their first step should be to ensure that any features of third-party applications which could potentially be attempting to insert code into Destiny 2 are disabled. If disabling such features does not resolve the performance impact, players may wish to try closing the third-party application.

Yes, this sounds like they haven't been tested yet and thats why. Seems like most overlays and stuff haven't been tested for the beta client......I wouldn't consider a huge deal atm. Doesn't seem like they are trying to hide anything yet. Almost all the apps they listed that you can officially use have FPS counters and what not.

I mean even discord overlay they said is not recommended. To me it sounds like it will either work, work and impact performance, or just not work at all since its not officially tested yet

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
what about using the built in screen capture on windows 10?

either way i don't really care. as long as they don't try restrict game capture at launch. i don't personally record myself playing games but it'd be a shame if we couldn't watch others play online.

Magwik

Banned
I'm also pretty sure shadowplay has an FPS counter......so not sure what they are trying here. Maybe they don't want unofficial tech...............nothing here makes sense
To help ensure that every player will have a fair shot at fun and glory in Destiny 2 on PC, we resist attempts by third-party applications to insert code into the game client. This may result in incompatibility between Destiny 2 PC and the features of common third-party applications.

The OP is misleading.

Shadowplay doesn't inject code into the game, so it's fully supported.

OBS and such are supported fully too, just in windowed mode.

KJRS_1993

Going through this thread, oh my Lord are PC users needy.
"I can't see my framerate!? DO BUNGIE NOT WANT MY MONEY?"

I'm not surprised too many companies end up not bothering and half arsing their ports.

Magwik

Banned

I'm not surprised too many companies end up not bothering and half arsing their ports.
Where can I purchase the high and mighty horse you found yourself on top of?

I can roughly tell my frame rate just by looking, it gets tougher when your PC can't run the game well. I've also had monitors that show your current refresh rate in Gsync. They have no obligation to support third party crap people load on their PCs. It's critical they keep the game secure. They might even have framerate capture within the game, like BF.

Strakt

Yet we still get double, even triple the frame rate regardless of half ass ports

:)

God forbid people have the expectation of being able to use the Steam Overlay to talk to their friends (or any other client including GOG if they're not massive Diablo/Starcraft/World of Warcraft/Overwatch players).

”Who's talking" and visual notification features, such as those provided by Discord or Mumble, are not compatible with Destiny 2. Notification features may still be provided through the third-party application. "

Considering there are massive discords already set up for Destiny 2 and there'll be a lot of PUGs using VOIP like Discord and Mumble and TS3 where people don't know each other's voices, this will suck too.

Mifec

Not sure if you're being serious here my dude.

KJRS_1993

God forbid people have the expectation of being able to use the Steam Overlay to talk to their friends (or any other client including GOG if they're not massive Diablo/Starcraft/World of Warcraft/Overwatch players).

Having friends lists across numerous different ecosystems and chat clients is one of the biggest cons for PC gaming though, at least it is for me personally. It's inevitable that not every game is able to properly support every service you might ever want to use with it.

Not sure if you're being serious here my dude.

I am being serious, I just didn't think people would be taking it to heart quite as much as they seem to have though!

Waaghals

Having friends lists across numerous different ecosystems and chat clients is one of the biggest cons for PC gaming though, at least it is for me personally. It's inevitable that not every game is able to properly support every service you might ever want to use with it.

The fact that you are saying this makes it clear that you have no understanding of how the PC ecosystem works, and that you have probably never done any gaming of note on the platform.

On topic, I can understand where they are coming from, and I am not upset, as long as there are software that will let you record regardless of PC configuration.
It would be nice if they allow us to toggle the display of framerate/frametimes from within the game, like Doom.

In my opinion, that would solve the issue.

If you turn off framerate and frametime monitoring in Afterburner's settings then RTSS won't auto launch with it. Alternatively, you can always set application detection level to None from within RTSS.

Top Bottom