• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arthur Gies leaves Polygon, semi-retiring from Video games

Tripon

https://www.polygon.com/forums/meta/2017/8/7/16106898/new-things

My last day at Polygon will be August 15th.

I've been deliberating how to write that for literally months, but there it is. I'm leaving Polygon, which I helped to co-found in 2012.

I'm not leaving for a job at another outlet, which would be totally fine, or to take a position in PR or development, though that would also be fine. Instead, I will effectively semi-retire from the games press as I start a new chapter in my life. At the end of August, I begin a Masters of Fine Arts program at SFAI, with a focus in painting and drawing.

I suppose I'm not leaving games completely. I will continue to produce and appear on Rebel FM, talking about games and whatever else we all feel like, and theoretically I may pick up a freelance gig here or there, as well as dip a toe or three or four into some consulting work, because, as it turns out, graduate school is really, really expensive. I still care about games, and I love talking about them, and if I have some kind of opportunity to help someone make something better, then that feels like a good, productive opportunity.

That said, my priority and the only thing that could really tear me away from Polygon is this new thing, which, in actuality, is an old thing. The only thing I've done for as long as I've played games and have been able to read is drawing. I went to an arts high school; My undergraduate degree was a double major, one of which was studio art. Somehow, while completing that degree, something clicked in my head with the direction that video game coverage was going with sites like 1up and Joystiq and Kotaku. It was thought-provoking and exciting, and I decided to pursue it, and somehow, against a lot of odds, I ended up doing it.

I know Gies has a reputation here on this site. However, good luck to his future endeavors.

Gestault

Gies is one of those figures I consistently gave too much credit. It's interesting he's moving on to art though, I wouldn't have seen that coming. Good luck!

bluexy

Best of luck to Gies. It takes a lot of guts to leave your job and pursue your passion, but sometimes it's the necessary thing to do. Excited to see where life takes him in the future.

Wow. I know he gets a lot of shit here but I always thought he was one of the better writers in the industry.

Rebel FM was also one of the first podcasts I listened too

On Rebel FM, he'd grown consistently more weary of covering video games for a living and began focusing on his art more and more. The transition makes sense. I know he gets a lot of shit for his console preferences (he never went full Xbox fanboy, but there were some times that it looked like a definite possibility), but when he gave a shit about something, he wrote quite well, and his opinions were always interesting to me, even if I didn't always agree.

This move is the better fit, I think. It definitely seems like he'll be happier for it.

kulapik

Between this and Nick Robinson's presumable firing, Polygon is gonna take quite a hit. They have plenty of staff so don't think they will struggle though.

jacobeid

Banned
Arthur has always been one of the most biased, least trustworthy sources in all of games journalism, but I wish him luck in his new endeavor. I won't miss his voice though.

So will he be doing his own tattoos now?

Only if Microsoft gives him $750,000 for them.

Between this and Nick Robinson's presumable firing, Polygon is gonna take quite a hit. They have plenty of staff so don't think they will struggle though.

As long as Polygon doesn't lose Matt Leone or Phil Kollar (and the McElroys for you people who love em), they're good.

Best of luck to Arthur Gies!

I've had mixed feelings on Arthur in the past, but turned around on him a decent amount in the last year. His farewell post is really great, and I hope he finds success and fulfillment on his new path.

Point to the contrary - I was never really into Gies' coverage and am more likely to check Polygon now.

That said, I wish him the best of luck in his new endeavor. Sounds like a good move for him.

Hero

Wasn't a fan of the guy but props for him pursuing his passion and wish him the best of luck, art is a tough field.

Arthur has always been one of the most biased, least trustworthy sources in all of games journalism, but I wish him luck in his new endeavor. Best of luck.

Only if Microsoft gives him $750,000 for them.

Still remember SimCity can't be offline lol

I won't miss him but wish him best of luck.

Gloam

This is probably the best thing for him. Always came off a little unhappy with his lot in life, hopefully, he can find something more fulfilling than sticking it to video games.

bigkrev

I'm happy he is following his passion and doing something that he loves. Going to grad school for Art isn't cheap or a guarantee of anything later in life, so I wish him the best of luck.

I'm happier that I might actually be able to enjoy Polygon now that he's gone. He's always come across as insufferable to me. The Simcity stuff was the peak of it, and when I decided I really could not support "his site" anymore.

kulapik

Point to the contrary - I was never really into Gies' coverage and am more likely to check Polygon now.

That said, I wish him the best of luck in his new endeavor. Sounds like a good move for him.
Oh, I didn't like Gies either, I meant more on the sense of staff.

Mael

I'm going to miss making fun of his articles.
Good for him I guess.
Better do something you like if you can make a living out of it is great.

ZeroGravity

I hope he finds success in whatever else he decides to do, but gaming journalism is definitely a better place without Gies in it, no reason to sugarcoat otherwise. He's always been one of the worst.

Dineren

Banned
It takes a lot of guts to leave a successful career and go back to school so you can pursue your passion. I hope it works out well for him!

jacobeid

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245600126 said:
Still remember SimCity can't be offline lol

I won't miss him but wish him best of luck.

That and his Microsoft bias to the extent that ex-coworkers at IGN ended up calling him out in a public venue over it. Dude was not a good source of information or critical thought.

neshcom

Banned
Clearly not everyone was a fan, but I can really respect how much work goes into being a reviews editor and trying to hold everyone to a high standard. Polygon's reviews were pretty good and they were the first to try to address the issue of games evolving post-releease.

BiggNife

Did anyone else notice there was one name in particular missing from his thank yous

Also I'm really glad Phil Kollar is reviews editor now, he's an awesome guy and I'm sure he'll fill the job well. I was never a huge fan of Gies' writing, but I wish him luck on future endeavors.

borges

Banned
Good luck! Probably not an easy decision. Talks very well of him to embrace such a professional change.

I'm happy for him. I've listened to RebelFM since inception, and this seems like a perfect fit. I Wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

Top Bottom