• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess vs. Okami, who stole from who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeak

So I'm playing through my EU copy of Okami right now and I'm really loving it. But the further I get into the game the more similarities between Twilight Princess and aforementioned comes up.
It's so blatant by now, that it's obvious to me that one of the dev. teams must have had an extended demo of either game and plain copied stuff from one to the other.
I'm thinking about the things like:

****SPOILERS****

- The wolf
- Thing riding on its back used as a weapon
- Fighting in magical arenas against a limited number of enemies
- Said enemies are slapping their buttocks to spite the main character in the exact same way the monkey in the forest temple in TP did it.
- "Twilight areas" that has to be abolished.
- People frozen in alternative world
- Sparkling black spots on the ground that can be dug out
- Placing a sun-sphere in the right place.

Both games had their main debut on E3 2005 (the TP teaser reel from 2004 didn't really show much gameplay) with almost all gameplay elements as they would be in the final version.
So my question is this, who stole from who?
Any educated guesses, any facts or pointers?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nobody stole. It was just that two teams each designed a great game...and their designs had similarities.

Great minds think alike and all that. ;)

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Nobody stole. It was just that two teams each designed a great game...and their designs had similarities.

Great minds think alike and all that. ;)

I wish it were that simple, but it's not.

actually it really is

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
okami came out seven or eight months earlier, and it seems very likely that tp was influenced by it. but since okami is essentially a zelda homage, perhaps nintendo was entitled.

Squeak

But look at my list! Those things can't possibly have been coincidences or parallel lines of thought!
And I just mentioned a few, there are many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom