• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beloved UK magazine Super Play is BACK

Robin64

---= Update 7th Sept: It's now in stores! =---

YES!

Issue 48 of Super Play will be a one-off special 52-page freebie with issue 172 of Retro Gamer.

The rumour is true: Super Play is back!

Issue 172 of Retro Gamer will be packaged with a 52-page special edition of the Super Nintendo magazine to celebrate the forthcoming launch of Nintendo's SNES Classic Mini hardware.

This one-off edition has been produced by original Super Play staff including Jason Brookes, Jonathan Davies, Tony Mott and Zy Nicholson, along with the Retro Gamer team and a band of seasoned Nintendo experts including Nathan Brown (Edge), Mark Green (NGamer), Keza MacDonald (Kotaku), Damien McFerran (Nintendo Life), Jeremy Parish (Retronauts) and Chris Schilling (Edge, Eurogamer). As art editor, Warren Brown (senior art ed of Future's videogame division) has resurrected Super Play's visual style to ensure it will be immediately familiar to fans of the '90s magazine.

Crucially, the new issue's cover is illustrated by Wil Overton, the artist behind every cover of Super Play's original 47-issue run.

Features include:

- New reviews of 20 SNES games featured on the Mini console, alongside a cover story focused on Star Fox 2, including an exclusive interview with Dylan Cuthbert, one of the key developers behind the game
- The opportunity to win the original Wil Overton artwork used for Super Play's Secret Of Mana cover (issue 25), hand-painted on celluloid and signed by the artist.
- More prizes to win, including a SNES Mini console, the Contra III soundtrack on vinyl, Super Famicom: The Box Art Collection, and more.
- Plus: Super Play's SNES Mini hands-on test, Helen McCarthy's Anime World, What Cart?, import reviews, Fanhunter, the origins of the SNES and Super Play, and... some unfortunate news about Neko.

original.jpg

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/beloved_magazine_super_play_is_being_revived_for_the_snes_classic_edition_launch

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Super Play was a great read and got me into that Anime shiz before it was big. A very unique and good read back in the day. Essential for Super NES players.

Yesss, dat Wil Overton cover though <3 Buying this for sure.

For some reason, I've come over all emotional... genuinely can't explain how I feel right now.

I would absolutely subscribe to Super Play in a heartbeat if it came back focussed on modern Nintendo but with the original team and style.

I subscribed to Super Play (from Issue 3 - Christmas with Chun-Li)

I subscribe to Retro Gamer.

This has got my name written all over it to an almost worrying degree.

mclem

Oh, I love Retro Gamer's occasional classic magazine bonusses, I'll definitely get this. And Wil Overton art! Super Play was arguably the first magazine that introduced me to the games that would never come out in the UK... and the notion of grey imports.

some unfortunate news about Neko.

Oh god, I SHOULD HAVE SUBSCRIBED. I'M SORRY.

Edit: Yeeks, I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks, wonder when it's actually released. Don't want to miss the window!

D.Lo

Oh man I will buy this!

I don't normally go for nostalgia stuff but this was genuinely part of my childhood.

Oh, I love Retro Gamer's occasional classic magazine bonusses, I'll definitely get this. And Wil Overton art! Super Play was arguably the first magazine that introduced me to the games that would never come out in the UK... and the notion of grey imports.

Oh god, I SHOULD HAVE SUBSCRIBED. I'M SORRY.

Edit: Yeeks, I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks, wonder when it's actually released. Don't want to miss the window!

I reckon it will be around then tbh. Possibly just before.

One of my favourite gaming publications of all time getting a loving tribute including the original staffers? Sign me up!

Also, that Wil Overton cover art is punching me right in the feels. Winter 2017 is gonna be one heck of SNES nostalgia trip.

chrismohan

Neo Member
My absolute favourite magazine. The art was spectacular, the writing was excellent and it had a real coherent flow through it. But I was 13-16 so what do I know ? :)

I loved Superplay when I was a kid. It really gave me my first look at Japans gaming culture.
I still have all the issues (up to about 25) in my mums garage somewhere.

Robin64

I loved Superplay when I was a kid. It really gave me my first look at Japans gaming culture.

Yeah, that was the best part. Dedicated anime section before it was even really a thing here, the import sections, the love of RPGs we never got, an FFVI section each month.. So good.

redcrayon

Super Play was responsible for introducing a lot of UK kids to Japanese stuff. I went out a bought a couple of Manga Video VHS tapes (Akira and Venus Wars, I think) after reading about something called 'anime' in the back of the mag. Good times. Introduced me to JRPGs through Secret of Mana too, probably wouldn't have played one on the SNES otherwise.

Shin

Banned
Used to buy them back in the day, one of the better magazines IIRC, I probably still have some of them stored way.

Is it on shelves today? You're going to want to find this in person if you can. Back issues for limited edition stuff like this might sell out faster than normal.

Wow, that's a blast from the past! I was just thinking I remember reading some of their mags here in New Zealand when I was younger and then clicked on the thread to see the exact cover I had in my memory! :D

Had no idea it was issue #1, I remember buying it before I even had a SNES lol, it introduced me to a lot of imported games.

CVG, EGM, ahh I miss gaming magazines!

I hope I can get my hands on this new one, I think some places here get Retro Gamer still maybe. There aren't many magazine stores around anymore sadly.

OverQ

Amazing, one of the best gaming magazines of all time! I still have every issue of the originals so this will be needed for the complete set. Nice to see Wil Overton doing these retro bits, he also did the cover art for the LE 'Super Famicom The Box Art Collection' book.

Hopefully N64 Magazine some day in the future too!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I picked up a copy of Hyper Play, an RPG/Nintendo themed fanzine, and they were gushing on and on about the original Super Play mag, as an American I never got to experience it so this free issue given out with Retro Gamer (a mag I do regularly leaf through at B&N) will be interesting to read.

Tall Paul

Yep been very excited about this, such a great magazine. Such fond memories. Introduced so much additional aspects to snes gaming, the import scene especially, no pics just a title and a price, £64.99 for a US Chrono Trigger was huge money for a game back then but SP drove sales for those games with the WO covers and great features and import stores knew it. Defo hitting my local WH Smith's when it's out on Thursday and I've not bought a games mag in years!

Gong

Anyone in the UK who is fancying this, don't pay 5.50 for one issue in the shops....go here for a 5 issue sub for £5. You're welcome

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/summer-sale-2017-b/

also you get 10%off for a ten pound spend, so you can get 2 subs for £9, thats 5 issues of Edge, 5 Retrogamers for 9 quid.

Doesn't work chief, just subbed and the first issue they'll punt my way is 173 in October. Ach well, a cheap read for a couple of month if nothing else.

I was an OG SNES player and I used to read Mean Machines and various other gaming mags - I have absolutely no recollection of Super Play though?

Flzzlsharkop

Neo Member
Super Play had so many memorable elements - the art, the heavy import/JRPG focus, inventive features, quirky humor and numerous inscrutable references to British things. When it ended I got the rest of my subscription compensated with GamesMaster and was totally disappointed. This should finally make up for it!

mrkgoo

OMG.

I still have my collection of Super Play Mags somewhere. I sued to pay top dollar to have these imported. I loved this mag so much.

Will Overton love.

Neff

Man, how can I not get in on this

I still have all my old issues. I threw all my hundreds of games magazines out years ago when I moved house, but Super Play (along with Maximum) were the ones I just couldn't bring myself to bin. Glorious magazine.

Top Bottom