• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Decrypting the Alt-Right: How to Recognize a Fascist" - by ContraPoints

Farks!

Link

Excellent video by ContraPoints explaining the tactics and strategies modern fascists use, and how well meaning but naive liberals and centrists often fall for their rhetoric. Stay vigilant people.

KDR_11k

Forcing nazis underground does limit their reach, the more they have to encrypt their message the fewer people they reach. China has observed that with dissidents.

People sometimes claim that it's better to keep them in the open...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
At 10:40 she says the "ok hand gesture" is a secret symbol of fascism.

I heard that was just 4chan trolling. What's the truth?

Edit: she goes on to explain that she views that as a intentional diversion to discredit SJWs, etc.

Edit: she goes on to explain that she views that as a intentional diversion to discredit SJWs, etc.
It’s a gaslighting tactic. They will use innocuous symbols as code so when they are called out on it they can point to their accusers as being hysterical. It happened with the OK sign. Of course /pol/ says they were trailing but they think being white supremacists is also trolling.

Anung

Un Rama
Very interesting and informative video. I just hope the information doesnt go on centrist deaf ears.

NCSOFT

I mostly loved it, though some parts of the video could be a little alienating to centrists who would perceive a tone of them being talked down.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

This is likely a chicken or the egg type situation, but look at this dude's most common hand gestures when he speaks:

giphy.gif

And then realize who his most vocal supporters are.

And I think her point was that they can use those symbols as way to identify each other more easily and then turn the tables on decent people by saying they get offended by the most benign things.

KDR_11k

Bonus factor: An obsession with "false flags". Nazis love those but I don't think I've ever seen a non-Nazi scream "false flag" at disliked news.

Also they often cannot maintain subtlety for long, when you've got some of their post history, even on a public place where they're not talking with their private face, you can quickly spot something overtly fascist.

ApharmdX

Banned
She does a great job here, love this!

I mostly loved it, though some parts of the video could be a little alienating to centrists who would perceive a tone of them being talked down.

The poor centrists, won't anyone think of the poor people who won't take a position between Nazis and people who hate Nazis!!

Rayis

Contra is a breath of fresh air in a sea of insanity that is YouTube. I suggest watching all her videos, they're all well worth a watch.

Well, I don't blame Contra, centrists falling for fascist propaganda and equating it as the right-wing counterpart to progressivism is extremely frustrating.

I'm so glad that she made this video. It'll be a great reference point to show any centrist that is oblivious to gaslighting and dog whistle tactics.

Anyone actually reachable won't be turned off by a little honesty.

That's something that always confused me about those type of people who say that leftist are talking down to them. Maybe because I'm bias and know/agree with what leftist youtubers say, but will sometimes come away feeling like they were insulted or as one person put it to me "talked to like they were a r-word ten year old".

KDR_11k

Centrists in the US seem weird to me anyway, it seems like they pick the centrist label first and then the positions to go along with that. But then again that seems to be the case with Republicans too, why the hell would an average person believe Climate Change is fake?

NCSOFT

Contra is a breath of fresh air in a sea of insanity that is YouTube. I suggest watching all her videos, they're all well worth a watch.

Well, I don't blame Contra, centrists falling for fascist propaganda and equating it as the right-wing counterpart to progressivism is extremely frustrating.

That's true.

His/her videos are indeed awesome, I think this is among the top, my other favorites include: debating the alt-right, what the alt-right fears, does the left hate free speech, is BDSM feminist? etc...

Leftists will recognize dog whistles and know we are crypto, but moderates won't give a fuck.

Fantastic pointing that out. This video is superb, so on point. Excellent job.

I'm at work so I can't watch the video, but didn't the OK hand gesture start as a mainstream meme because of the emoji?

Like, I'm sure a disproportionate amount of altrighters use it, but it definitely has an innocuous presence in mainstream consciousness. Some of the kids at work use it, and one or two are sketchy, but the rest definitely aren't.

Dynasty

Saw this video early, was looking forward to it all day and it did not let down. Strongly reccommend people check her out, she has some really great videos and puts in a lot of time and effort as you could probably tell by this video.

jstripes

Banned
I'm at work so I can't watch the video, but didn't the OK hand gesture start as a mainstream meme because of the emoji?

Like, I'm sure a disproportionate amount of altrighters use it, but it definitely has an innocuous presence in mainstream consciousness. Some of the kids at work use it, and one or two are sketchy, but the rest definitely aren't.

The symbolism they use in it is the three fingers form a W and the touching finger and thumb, plus the wrist, form a P. You can figure out what WP stands for.

Nokterian

Great video, really dissecting on what nazi's really are and why they use the internet and do different but still have the same motives.

Dynasty

Contrapoints comment.
What I want people to take away from this video is an ability to perceive the general strategies fascists use, not just the particular symbology they happen to use at this particular moment. Pepe, milk, the OK sign, Kekistan: all of this is quickly being abandoned by savvy fascists. Normies have caught on. It's on the news. People recognize it as fascist. So it won't work anymore. They'll shift to something else, probably something even more subtle. The only way to keep up is to watch fascists closely or listen to people who do.

aeolist

Banned

it started as that, but then immediately shifted from ironic trolling joke to actual covert fascist symbol like everything else /pol does.

That ending changes everything, but I don't know in which way. What is vodka shot emoji supposed to symbolize now, left or right?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Is this the kind of video I can get something out of by listening to or is this the kind of video I should watch with my eyes?

Also, the "OK" symbol is definitely gaslighting and we should just go ahead and assume people throwing it up are what they are. You can't allow these people to run around shouting "hell Hitler" then do the "haha, look at all the triggered normies, I was just joking" thing. Here's some background on that specifically: https://theoutline.com/post/1428/the-ok-sign-is-becoming-an-alt-right-symbol

Definetly watch to get everything out of the video.

Thanks. Saved for later, then.

jstripes

Banned
it started as that, but then immediately shifted from ironic trolling joke to actual covert fascist symbol like everything else /pol does.

It's quite the phenomenon how things on 4chan go from ironic trolling to being embraced un-ironically by those not in on the joke. (Bronies being a benevolent example.)

Jetman

Centrists in the US seem weird to me anyway, it seems like they pick the centrist label first and then the positions to go along with that. But then again that seems to be the case with Republicans too, why the hell would an average person believe Climate Change is fake?

Yeah, I got into a climate change argument with a proposed centrist yesterday too. His argument was that it "could" be caused by all these other factors like volcanic action or sunflares, etc. etc. so he doesnt know which science to trust. So I told him to trust what's been proven. His response - "How do you know it's proven?? What if we find out our proven science was wrong later??" - :/
He's also of the mind that no news can be trusted. FOX News is crazy right, but any other news CNN, VICE, Headline, NYT is far left. No politicians can be trusted.

It seems like a centrists general stance is confusion, and indecision over everything. They don't educate themselves enough on anything.

aeolist

Banned
It's quite the phenomenon how things on 4chan go from ironic trolling to being embraced un-ironically by those not in on the joke. (Bronies being a benevolent example.)

i'd argue that for a lot of them it was never a joke to begin with. creating a refuge for ever increasing extremes of "ironically" awful behavior will very quickly get you a population of unironic bigots.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is this the kind of video I can get something out of by listening to or is this the kind of video I should watch with my eyes?

Also, the "OK" symbol is definitely gaslighting and we should just go ahead and assume people throwing it up are what they are. You can't allow these people to run around shouting "hell Hitler" then do the "haha, look at all the triggered normies, I was just joking."

Thanks. Saved for later, then.
The video definitely has a lot of imagery that needs to be seen for the point to click.
7X14b7C.gif

jstripes

Banned
i'd argue that for a lot of them it was never a joke to begin with. creating a refuge for ever increasing extremes of "ironically" awful behavior will very quickly get you a population of unironic bigots.

But it's all part of the joke for them. If they attract a population of unironic bigots their lulz are accomplished.

Yeah, I got into a climate change argument with a proposed centrist yesterday too. His argument was that it "could" be caused by all these other factors like volcanic action or sunflares, etc. etc. so he doesnt know which science to trust. So I told him to trust what's been proven. His response - "How do you know it's proven?? What if we find out our proven science was wrong later??" - :/
He's also of the mind that no news can be trusted. FOX News is crazy right, but any other news CNN, VICE, Headline, NYT is far left. No politicians can be trusted.

It seems like a centrists general stance is confusion, and indecision over everything. They don't educate themselves enough on anything.

Plus they're less affected by the outcomes. gotta have some skin in the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I think it's just a stance of preserving the status quo and resisting any kind of change because they think everything is just fine the way it is.

Anyway, that was a great video. Hadn't heard of this channel before.

Drinkel

Cool to see Contra get some love on here! I think this is one of her best videos, along with the Punching Natsees one.

Cyan

Banned

Disbelief in climate change is, uh, not a centrist position.

Top Bottom