• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis teases 5 Switch games (Code of Princess, 1001 Spikes, and VVVVVV among)

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/904940277445431297

After PAX, Nicalis gives a new update on Switch ports in development with a Switch devkit screen holding several previously announced ports along with 5 poorly blurred thumbnails. Code of Princess, 1001 Spikes, and VVVVVV can be determined from these thumbnails. What do you think the other two games are?

DI79n-zUEAEzA-D.jpg

Blur me if old.

Edit: top right game possibly Knight Terrors by FreakZone Games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/904940277445431297

After PAX, Nicalis gives a new update on Switch ports in development with a Switch devkit screen holding several previously announced ports along with 5 poorly blurred thumbnails. Code of Princess, 1001 Spikes, and VVVVVV can be determined from these thumbnails. What do you think the other two games are?

Blur me if old.

Code of Princess could be of interest for me

PantsuJo

Code of Princess could be of interest for me
I played it a lot on 3DS... I can't recommend it, really: it's a boring game. Not really bad but... Simply boring.

I plan to buy it on Steam too but on 90% sale because it isn't worth the price.

daxy

Sure, I'll get VVVVVV on yet another platform! I'll get to curse my way through veni, vidi, vici again :D

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wasn't Code of Princess an Atlus game? Either way, it's completely fucking boring

VVVVVV though... now that's a motherfucking videogame

RM8

In for 1001 Spikes when I eventually get a Switch, lol. Code of Princess is very mediocre and repetitive, though, but I guess it might be a slightly better experience without the performance issues.

It's interesting how Nintendo was initially apprehensive of ports of old games, or games already existing in other systems... or so indie devs told us.

Now the floodgates are open and everyone is porting to Switch like a mad person.

duckroll

It's interesting how Nintendo was initially apprehensive of ports of old games, or games already existing in other systems... or so indie devs told us.

Now the floodgates are open and everyone is porting to Switch like a mad person.

One indie dev said that to explain why their game was apparently not on Switch. Pretty much every other indie announcement from before the release of the Switch or after, has been a port.

Cerium

Nicalis publishes physical versions of all of their Switch titles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Doubt they were ever really against ports - they just focused on devs with more interesting new content or exclusive content when it came to dev-kits early on. A couple devs that had a small or non-existent dev-relationship prior to the Switch had some issues early on getting those kits...but i doubt Nintendo was actively stop people from releasing ports, when the devs already had the devkits.

If you have 10 devkits to distribute and 50 devs applying for them ...you are probably gonna give them to the 10 devs that can bring something to the table that will sell. So either established Indie Hits or new/exclusive content...not something that was released 2-3 months ago on every other system, without adding something new.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One indie dev said that to explain why their game was apparently not on Switch. Pretty much every other indie announcement from before the release of the Switch or after, has been a port.

They also said it only applied during the first six months IIRC, which we are now past regardless.

Giolon

I've just discovered I'm the only one on the planet that actually enjoyed CoP on 3DS

:D

I liked Code of Princess. It’s defintiely a C-tier game, but I got a decent amount of entertainment out of it. The character dialogue was funny in an anime trope sort of way.

I’d pick it up on Switch for the right price.

A version of Code of Princess on the go that doesn't run like shit and the online works could be interesting, campaign was boring bht playing as enemies was kind of neat

LordKano

Wonder if these games will be overpriced too. So far they had some sort of excuses with the games they've released.

duckroll

Wonder if these games will be overpriced too. So far they had some sort of excuses with the games they've released.

I feel it's quite clear that Nicalis' market here are collectors who are already big fans of the games and want to double/triple/quadruple dip on physical copies. They don't seem very interested in selling more copies to a larger audience by offering cheaper digital options.

If it's anything like the Steam version, don't get too excited.

What? There's a Steam version of this game? I heard it's by Treasure's former developers. They made Guardian Heroes. It can't be that disappointing, can it? I know the 3DS version suffers from slow down.

For some reason I have a feeling the MM Zero looking one in the middle is that 20XX MM rogue-like game.
Probably wrong, but that's the closest indie thing I can think of.

LordKano

I feel it's quite clear that Nicalis' market here are collectors who are already big fans of the games and want to double/triple/quadruple dip on physical copies. They don't seem very interested in selling more copies to a larger audience by offering cheaper digital options.

That's my understanding as well, but it will be fun to see the twisted PR they'll use to justify why The End is Nigh on digital will be twice the price of the steam version for no reason.

ggx2ac

What? There's a Steam version of this game? I heard it's by Treasure's former developers. They made Guardian Heroes. It can't be that disappointing, can it? I know the 3DS version suffers from slow down.

The Steam version has been out for over a year.

The frame rate is 60fps.

The game looks like an upressed 3DS game because that's basically what it is, they even stuck the top and bottom screen from the 3DS version onto one screen side by side.

Okay, checking YouTube footage you could have only one screen up while playing, I don't remember using that option.

It's an okay Beat em' up but it's not amazing or anything and I like Beat em' up games.

duckroll

It's bad. There are I think 2 guys who worked on Guardian Hereos who worked on this. But the project was clearly very low budget and a mess management wise. You can tell they sort of have the ingredients to make a good game, but no one on the team gelled it together. The graphics are a mix of nostalgic Guardian Heroes style spritework and really ugly pre-rendered sprites. The basic mechanics for controlling and brawling are sound, but the encounter design and character movesets don't do anything remotely interesting with it to make it a satisfying action game. I felt it was repetitive, boring, and honestly a waste of my money.

Top Bottom