• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

just rebought a nintendo DS (LITE!)... which of these games should i get?

hey fellas. i finally re-bought a nintendo DS. it was somewhat difficult to find... and by somewhat i mean barely. i went to best buy without luck, then eb games without luck, then toys r us with luck. all of these stores are in the same parking lot so it wasn't a big deal.

anyways, i bought a couple games (lunar knights and big brain academy), but i'm going to buy a few more on amazon while i play through these. here are the games i'm eyeing:

castlevania portrait of ruin
new mario bros
elite beat agents
FF VI (i'm getting this so case closed on one of the games)
metroid hunters
star fox
brain age

i figure i'll buy maybe 3 of those games, with FF VI GBA being guaranteed. so which for the other 2? also the following questions

1. is brain age that different from big brain academy? ill own both if its worth it
2. is MP Hunters a good single player game? multiplayer?
3. is star fox the n64 version?
4. if i already had and beat castlevania DS (whatever the first one was called) is it worth it to buy portrait?
5. any additional recommendations above those?

thanks ladies.

Mission

What exactly do you mean by re-bought?

Regardless, my wacky suggestion is Clubhouse Games. I'm sure nobody else is going to recommend it, but for a nice change of pace from the other games you listed (I have a few of them also) its a great collection of games... cards, boardgames, and there is pool, bowling, and darts too...

Ranger X

Castlevania and Mario shouldn't even be a question.
Elite Beat Agent is the best music game available on the platform.

Narag

FrenchMovieTheme said:
elite beat agents

FrenchMovieTheme said:
No, its a new game that furthers the storyline but plays like the cancelled Starfox 2.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
4. if i already had and beat castlevania DS (whatever the first one was called) is it worth it to buy portrait?
Definitely.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
Osu Tatake Ouendan is really worth it if you get and like EBA. Rocket Slime has dropped in price and is well worth checking out. Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright 1/2 are superb if you enjoy text adventures as well.

R0nn

FrenchMovieTheme said:
1. is brain age that different from big brain academy? ill own both if its worth it

1. Kinda the same idea/concept, but the execution is different.
2. Good singleplayer: No, not really. At least not compared to other Metroid games. Multiplayer: Kinda. You got some decent deathmatch action, but all other modes suffer from lack of player support online.
3. No, not really. It's the unreleased Star Fox 2 from SNES. It's Star Fox but with a tactical map to order pilots around and battles that play out more like 3D shooters as Rogue Squadron (ie. it's free roam instead of on rails). It's decent stuff.
4. Yes it is.
5. Meteos, Phoenix Wright 1 and/or 2, Trauma Center, Mario Kart DS, Age of Empires, Advance Wars, Kirby Canvas Curse, Yoshi's Island DS, Mario & Luigi, Final Fantasy III, Hotel Dusk

From your list I'd pick NSMB and either Castlevania or EBA (if you only pick two next to FFVI).

That's about it.

Regardless, my wacky suggestion is Clubhouse Games. I'm sure nobody else is going to recommend it, but for a nice change of pace from the other games you listed (I have a few of them also) its a great collection of games... cards, boardgames, and there is pool, bowling, and darts too...

How could I forget! You should get that too, it's surprisingly great. Definitely one of the most underrated DS games.

Alex

All of it is pretty darn good except for Metroid, oh god how I hate that game.

I would suggest NSMB the most, however

damn metroid sucks that much? i like prime a lot.

also, to explain, i had a DS about a year ago and sold it (this was before DS lite came out). i had advance wars, castlevania, mario kart ds, and a few other games. anyhow, thanks for the suggestions.

p.s. what is rocket slime like?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
FrenchMovieTheme said:
new mario bros
elite beat agents
metroid hunters
star fox
brain age

Crap. I own and would recommend any of those. And many, many more.

R0nn

FrenchMovieTheme said:
damn metroid sucks that much? i like prime a lot.

I love the Prime games, but it's nothing like that. Only thing it has in common with the main Prime games is the first person perspective. It's stripped from almost everything that made Prime 1 and 2 such great experiences. Hunters is mostly a straight forward corridor shooter, nothing more.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
hey fellas. i finally re-bought a nintendo DS. it was somewhat difficult to find... and by somewhat i mean barely. i went to best buy without luck, then eb games without luck, then toys r us with luck. all of these stores are in the same parking lot so it wasn't a big deal.

anyways, i bought a couple games (lunar knights and big brain academy), but i'm going to buy a few more on amazon while i play through these. here are the games i'm eyeing:

new mario bros
elite beat agents

metroid hunters
star fox
brain age

i figure i'll buy maybe 3 of those games, with FF VI GBA being guaranteed. so which for the other 2? also the following questions

thanks ladies.

If you *must* leave one of those three behind, I guess I'd say Castlevania, since you've already played DoS.

Lobster

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

new mario bros
elite beat agents

metroid hunters
star fox
brain age

1. is brain age that different from big brain academy? ill own both if its worth itDifferent. Both Worth it...but BBA has more lifespan
2. is MP Hunters a good single player game? multiplayer?No and No..but its a decent game
3. is star fox the n64 version?Nope..and I fear you won't like it.
4. if i already had and beat castlevania DS (whatever the first one was called) is it worth it to buy portrait?Yes
5. any additional recommendations above those?Tony Hawks American Sk8land is very enjoyable

thanks ladies.

Jiggy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
new mario bros
elite beat agents
metroid hunters
star fox
brain age
Those two. Outside of Japan, they're the best two games DS has to offer not named Advance Wars. (If you oust one for AW, make it Castlevania, not EBA. Partially because you already played CV DoS, but more because EBA just owns that hard.)

1. is brain age that different from big brain academy? ill own both if its worth it It's very different, yes, but BBA is already the better game, so... there's not necessarily a need to get Brain Age unless you like Sudoku.
3. is star fox the n64 version? No.

sosuke

I just got a DS Lite after 1 year of being out of a DS and picked up
and
FF VI

both of which are amazing, my wife wants us to pickup brain age as well :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I dunno about Brain Age. It was an interesting novelty that unfortunately wore off pretty quickly for me. Big Brain Academy is at least more of a proper game, one which I found enjoyable to actually play. But then, there's always the argument of the game being cheap I guess.

keanerie

Elite Beat Agents would have been my GOTY 06 if Zelda didn't exist. It's such an intuitive, wacky, soulful and just plain fun game, it's really a must buy.

NSMB is a pretty decent game - just a bit too easy and waaaay too short. I'd say it's still worth it.

Brain Age is okay, if you know what you're getting into. It's really a game designed to be played only for a few minutes a day. Pick it up, do some equations, play some Sudoku, put it down. It's great for commutes, or just for some toilet seat fun. Big Brain Academy has more longevity and a better fun:time spent ratio. The games are more involving and are less about "training" your brain than challenging yourself to get higher scores and perform better. Both are cheap.

My Ranking:
#1 Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
#2 New Super Mario Bros
#3 Brain Age: Different enough from BBA. Only $20 anyway.
#4 Elite Beat Agents: I liked Ouendan more. Only a few of the EBA songs were enjoyable to me and I felt the game was too slow on normal. I'll probably enjoy the harder difficulties more, but I think I have to unlock them first.
#5 Metroid Hunters
#6 Star Fox

There appears to be a serious lack of HOTEL DUSK YO.

A much easier to get into point and click adventure that focuses more on dialogue, which is key to beating the game, if you arent a smooth talker, Kyle will get tossed out of the hotel! (And thats NO good)

d[-_-]b

Banned
GET POKEMON! or DIE!
no seriously it comes out in April it's a must have :D.
EDIT: OMFG no more junior member? hax!

ant1532

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
hey fellas. i finally re-bought a nintendo DS.
Welcome back to the party, theres still some donuts left.

DSC05844.jpg

seat

EBA, Mario Kart DS, and Meteos are the absolute must-haves for the DS right now. Kirby Canvas Curse is fantastic too. NSMB is also incredible, albeit kind of short.

Top Bottom