• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 360...is there something we dont know? (commercial)

Just saw the VF5 commercial and I was totally expecting it to be a PS3 specific commercial this early in the game but at the end it said "coming soon for 360" and had the 360/LIVE logo along side the ps family logo. Wasnt this coming in like late august/early september? Is it coming sooner? Will it have live play? Its still February. Why have a spot in there for 360 6 months in advance?

If it's coming soon for 360 with Live I will cancel my preorder ASAP. Who the hell would want the offline-only PS3 version if the 360 one had Live capability?

llTll

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
Just saw the VF5 commercial and I was totally expecting it to be a PS3 specific commercial this early in the game but at the end it said "coming soon for 360" and had the 360/LIVE logo along side the ps family logo. Wasnt this coming in like late august/early september? Is it coming sooner? Will it have live play? Its still February. Why have a spot in there for 360 6 months in advance?

Live logo can mean anything. it can mean some ranking BS for all we know.

but i am surprised about the the X360 logo

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Stop getting hard-ons, it's not going to have online play. You're just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

SpacLock

Lyte Edge said:
Stop getting hard-ons, it's not going to have online play. You're just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I have yet to see a fighter done right online. I wouldn't get your hopes up even if it was coming to live. It's too hard because any lag at all ruins it.

the LIVE thing i figure more AI upload and stuff like that. Doesnt the arcade version do that? My main WTF is the fact that ITS FEBRUARY! :lol Will we see the 360 version sooner than we thought? Late spring early summer maybe?

I'd still like to see this commercial. Linky?

I cant link cartoon network/adult swim. :lol maybe when IPTV gets here.

llTll

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
the LIVE thing i figure more AI upload and stuff like that. Doesnt the arcade version do that? My main WTF is the fact that ITS FEBRUARY! :lol Will we see the 360 version sooner than we thought? Late spring early summer maybe?

I cant link cartoon network/adult swim. :lol maybe when IPTV gets here.

i think its 6 months exclusive for Sony.

neptunes

wow strange if true, even if it didn't have LIVE ONLINE

A third party advertising a game 5-6 months in advance is quite strange, unless....NAH.

edit: ok just saw it, the logo isn't as profound as I thought. They probably left it in to save them time from altering the commercial when the 360 version DOES ccome out.

SpacLock said:
I have yet to see a fighter done right online. I wouldn't get your hopes up even if it was coming to live. It's too hard because any lag at all ruins it.

I'd roughly estimate close to 80% of DOA4 matches I've played online had no noticable lag, 15% had tolerable lag, and 5% were unplayable. Not perfect, but still better than the alternative (no online play at all). Keep in mind nobody does competitions for cash prizes online, online play is about 1.) human competition rather than boring CPUs 2.) the social aspect of play games with other people. I know DOA4 and VF5 aren't the same game, but my point still stands.

Midas

Doesn't all Xbox 360 games have to have some sort of live function? Whether it's some leader board or online play?

Muppet345

SpacLock said:
It's better than not having any at all. Only a small amount of people are hardcore enough that slight lag will mess up their game so drastically. Like the dude above me said, no one does serious matches online - it's just fun.

SPEA

Kevar said:
It's better than not having any at all. Only a small amount of people are hardcore enough that slight lag will mess up their game so drastically. Like the dude above me said, no one does serious matches online - it's just fun.
agreed

Rorschach

Midas said:
Doesn't all Xbox 360 games have to have some sort of live function? Whether it's some leader board or online play?
It may just be "Live Aware"

Leaderboards wouldn't be so bad, though. It's more than the ps3 got.

Rorschach said:
It may just be "Live Aware"

Leaderboards wouldn't be so bad, though. It's more than the ps3 got.

cancel your PS3 VF5 pre-orders!!!!! you can appear on the Leaderboards on the 360!!! in September

SpacLock

Kevar said:

I guess you're right!

Tain

I hope they have the whole "download your past fights in video format" thing that I heard about during VF5 loctests incorporated into the console versions. That's all I ask.

Exactly how would leaderboards work for a fighting game aside from stuff like fastest Time Attack (big whoop)? Hopefully you can upload your character in the conquest mode and actually be able to play against someone else's.

SERIOUSLY SEGA, TWO GAMES IN A ROW NOW AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEIR COOL CUSTOM FIGHTERS BATTLE EACH OTHER!!!

It has also been on the official site.

The 360 version is a really good opportunity for Sega to take VF to the next level with the kind of sharing and updating that the arcades have, and also a good opportunity for MS to capitalize on how much friendlier their system is for online features. That extra 6 months and the Live emblem have me crossing all my fingers and toes but then again, it's Sega so... you know... :\

Manick Joe said:
Exactly how would leaderboards work for a fighting game aside from stuff like fastest Time Attack (big whoop)? Hopefully you can upload your character in the conquest mode and actually be able to play against someone else's.

SERIOUSLY SEGA, TWO GAMES IN A ROW NOW AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEIR COOL CUSTOM FIGHTERS BATTLE EACH OTHER!!!
They could have ranks of the players with the most overall wins, the best ratio, most vs wins, etc.

Rorschach

gutter_trash said:
cancel your PS3 VF5 pre-orders!!!!! you can appear on the Leaderboards on the 360!!! in September
ugh...I'm not saying it's worth the wait or that you should get it over the ps3 version, but for those who don't have a PS3, it's nice to have leaderboards or maybe even sharing your characters/stats with people. It would also be nice if they would allow you to take your characters to a friend's house.

goldenpp72

Arent they kind of hurting potential sales by avertising a version that isnt out for like 6 months?

Well it is sega..

i think they did it just incase ps3 sales dont do as well as expected personally. Theres no reason they couldnt release it sooner unless sony paid for exclusivity. I just cant see why a "big timed exclusive" would already be promoting the competitions version 6 months in advance. The "commercial editing" thing doesnt jive with me.

goldenpp72

Well I think its more of a 'sega just decided to do it and now they gotta port it' so its gonna be awhile.. sonic on 360 released befor the ps3 one by a couple months and I doubt it was an exclusive deal with microsoft.

It just seems like from a business perspective, not showing people the 360 version would maybe sway them to buy a ps3, but now some people might just wait.. which is fine, but companies dont seem to like doing that.

Dali

WasteLand Soldier said:
wow. fn youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5K6PTc0h3I

i dont think in the history of gaming we've seen a commercial plug for something 6 months ahead unless they just want to promote awareness for the larger userbase. I mean come on. if its exclusive/timed 6 mo whats the point of mentioning it? wouldnt that kill potential ps3 sales? Then again this is SEGA.

I hear FF XIII plugs were shown in Japan.

polyh3dron said:
If it's coming soon for 360 with Live I will cancel my preorder ASAP. Who the hell would want the offline-only PS3 version if the 360 one had Live capability?
The Live icon comes standard with any 360 commercial. It doesn't really confirm that there's online matches in it.

You know, all the blame seems to be shifting to Sega, but there's always the chance Microsoft "convinced" (cue huge bag with dollar signs printed on it) Sega to also promote the upcoming 360 version, even though it's some months off, in an attempt to at least weaken any "PS3 Exclusive" hype that might've otherwise been generated by the commercial.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Probably just Sega wants to promote awareness of the game and try to get the word out to X360 fans it's ok to not hate VF5.

Jonnyram

Midas said:
Nope. No Xbox Live logo on Ninety-Nine Nights or Project Sylpheed.

Nameless

Makes sense. With a game going multiplatform, 3rd parties have little vested interest in a specific platform. Sega now they has message board fannies like us, speculating on the release date and online play, overall increasing the hype for the game.

Dali

Jonnyram said:
Nope. No Xbox Live logo on Ninety-Nine Nights or Project Sylpheed.

I thought that was true. Like the all must have custom soundtracks stipulation. Maybe J-developers get some slack.

If people are too stupid to accept the games designer's word for the fact that it will not have any online play then let them build it up and feel like idiots in six months.

Nameless

OokieSpookie said:
If people are too stupid to accept the games designer's word for the fact that it will not have any online play then let them build it up and feel like idiots in six months.

I'm not expecting online play by any stretch, but I would be suprised to find out that Sega never atleast worked on a multiplyaer infrastructure for VF. And of course its better to deny and deny, until they get it right, instead of promising it and have it constantly not pan out. *cough*gran turismo*cough*.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Perhaps they didn't want to do two versions of the commercial and since it's been confirmed it's going to be released on the 360 - they did what they did. I also don't think this means there will be online play. They've been pretty adamant about that for a long time now.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Even though the commercial showed a lot of gameplay footage, the voice-over was just crap and it didn't really excite me for the game at all. FAIL

Dazzyman

The live bit will only mean downloadable content, they have already said countless times to the media it wont go online for fighting as they wont entertain the game with latency as it changes the dynamics of the game.

shuri

Banned
I'm turning 26 soon. I have a life, and so do my friends. When we meet; we dont sit down to play videogames. And for some reasons, I dont think that they want to buy a console and learn a very complicated fighting game like vf5 just to play with me.

Online support would provide me with a steady flow of competent players at any time of the day, forever. I'm not even going to buy the game since it wont be online, even if I know that it is a good game. I can't be arsed; especially for a 360 game; it would be a waste of time and money.

Also the whole 'sega says its impossible' thing is just bullshit and a byproduct of lazyness and lack of foresight; a bunch of AMATEURS managed to add ONLINE SUPPORT on kaillera for games ranging from mother****ing PACMAN to MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 without having access to the source code, or anything, using mame and kaillera, and that for about A DECADE with more than decent results

Don't give me that bullshit, sega.

Top Bottom