• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's Tokyo RPG Factory makes $2.2 million profit, up from $2.3M loss

BadWolf

Interesting, didn't like Setsuna but do think that the team has potential so hopefully they will get better and better.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Makes sense to have losses early on while you're basically in free fall spending mode with no income coming in. They should be good to go from now on.

FiveSide

Banned
That's awesome. I was concerned about the financial viability of this studio, but it seems like they've kept the budget tight enough to turn niche sales into profits. Hopefully this allows them to continue pretty much indefinitely.

I still think this team will eventually get handed a 2.5D Chrono Trigger remake.

vareon

From just one product (or several if you count the different platforms)? So the first loss was just counted as investment?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Good to hear, I'm hoping that after Lost Sphear, their next title has a bit more ambition and budget behind it.

Archtreyz

Setsuna gets a bad rap I think. The game was short enough, and fun enough, and I enjoyed my time with it. I hope this means they get greenlit to do more cool throw-back style stuff.

BiggNife

I wonder how well IAS sold on Switch. I feel like there was definitely some buzz around it since it was the only RPG available at launch.

Aters

I don't see much potential in this studio honestly. They seem to be content in making games that remind people of CT rather than games that are actually as good as CT.

Good for them. Hopefully it was just a shakey start-up to initial start up costs and lack of products to sell.

I am Setsuna wasn't amazing, sure, but it showed promise, and once they get into the swing of things, I'd not be at all surprised to see some modern classics come out of the studio.

Give them Final Fantasy remakes
We have this and we really REALLY like it
Android_FFVI_09(1).jpg

Enthus

Give them Final Fantasy remakes

Yep, maybe alternate them with new games in order to keep expanding the JRPG output Square has. I'd be fine with them tackling FFI,II,V,VI remakes so long as they don't mess with the combat/progression systems and polish the presentation a bit from Setsuna.

Good news since I was a bit worried going by their previous FY performance. Lost Sphear looks pretty good, so I'm hopeful it'll do even better for them.

(and who knows, Matsuda might be trying his "law of 3 titles" with TRF, meaning they could get an increase in budget and scope in the next game if LS does well).

Malyse

Actually, that is kinda better. Make it SNES/NES RPG's and we'll really have something. Like, I would love some 3D Dragon Quest and Star Ocean along with Mana, Final Fantasy and Chrono.

Controversial opinion: I would like a Chrono *Cross* HD Demake in the style of Setsuna/Lost Sphere (HD because of the assets, demake because it would be closer to Trigger than Cross in execution)

Top Bottom