• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Broken Sword- The Shadow of the Templars, a lovely well-aged Adventure game

Tizoc

My first exposure to the Broken Sword series was getting the 2nd game on PC many years ago (I think I still own that boxed copy...), I had heard of the series around that time I think but never got to play the first game.

During my current PnC Adventure Sabbatical, I finally got around to experiencing the original game, thanks to GOG offering it (Steam users can get the original games alongside the Director's Cut) and despite some issues I have with it, I found it an overall great and fun game.

First let me list the stuff I didn't like, so here are the CONS
1- Movement feels slow: George mainly walks around in much of the screens, if you don't know the proper actions to take in order to progress you'd prob. waste minutes just walking around until you managed to trigger a progression flag (looking at you Lobinue[sp] Baphomet dialog triggger!)

2- While the game has excellent dialog, sometimes you'll get stuck and not know what to do in certain points in the game unless you interacted with specific objects which could give an idea of what to do next, such as the vent-like gate next to the bar in Ireland.

3- End game was the weakest part of the game to me, but this isn't a major issue since the journey up til then is pretty good.

4- ALWAYS SAVE WHENEVER YOU CAN. Being an old game there of course wasn't auto save, and if you trigger a death scene you can reload your last save so if you hadn't saved in a while, get ready for some backtracking :p

That's about it off the top of my head, so now, onto the PROS
1- The visuals are superb: The colors, the art and design the screens and buildings and backgrounds and surroundings, all of them are fantastic. Revolution Software went all out with designing the game and the entire look of the game is timeless to me.

2- The voice acting and characters are fantastic. While there were some odd accents on a few characters in Paris, the general voice acting is ace.
Rolf Saxon gives a PERFECT performance as George, who is having the time of his life just going around trying to solve the mystery of the explosion that nearly took his life, and tricking doctors and museum guards alike along the way to do so.

3- The overall gameplay is actually pretty simple; there aren't many puzzles, and while there are death scenes, the game's main gameplay simply relies on you interacting with objects and characters until you can find a trigger that lets you progress. Granted there might be times where you'll be lost but hey nothing the usual 'click and try every unlikely combination of items til you get somewhere' never fails.

4- One neat thing I noticed is that you will usually have about half a dozen or so items on you through out the game and I found I wanted to talk about everything and every item I had with each character just to hear their reactions and enjoy the voice acting.
Also George wanting to Buzz every person he meets never gets old

5- The game's animated scenes may be hit or miss for some but I overall found them pretty charming. George also gets some interesting reaction faces in certain points too

6- Ultar is awesome. If you're playing the og game through Steam, consider screenshotting his dialog, some good stuff in there.

7- Ireland was prob. my fav. part of the game, I really enjoyed talking with the people there.

So yeah in closing, the game I feel aged well, you just want to take your time a bit and just stomach the slowness of it and you're bound to enjoy it. I'll be playing BS2 soon so I can re-experience that game, and while I don't plan on playing the Director's Cut anytime soon, i may just play it someday just to critique it.
This game gets the Agent Cooper Thumbs Up of Approval
rvKFwxD.gif

Also
Boo!
Broken_Sword_Goat.png

Beelzebubs

I loved this game, the humour, everything about it. Got it on PS1 first then hunted down every version when I became a PC Gamer.

A goddamn classic. Although I disagree with you on Ireland. That goat puzzle was just bad.

I liked the second one too, but never played any of the ones after that.

Staf

I love this game. Love love love. Haven't played the latest one, is it worth your time if you like 1 and 2?

By the way, fuck that goat! I was stuck at that puzzle for weeks when i was a kid!

This is a gorgeous game, with one of the most likeable duos in adventure gaming and spot-on voice acting for the leads. The puzzles can be pretty darn unintuitive, though, and if I remember correctly one item was used a bit too much.

I thought the second one ramped up the beauty quite a bit more. There are some screens in that one that are pure works of art. Unfortunately the third one and the switch to 3D was a pretty significant step down. Not a waste of time, just not a classic.

BS1 is a top ten P&C game for me, I agree with every point you made.

Additionally I loved the dialogue puzzle in Ireland where you have to talk to multiple people about various things to move forward, and the soundtrack is superb. Barrington Pheloung is a genius when it comes to setting the tone with the BGM.

What's Revolution been up to these past few years? Loved the 2D Broken Sword games.

Made Broken Sword 5, a 2D broken sword game. It's ok, FAR better then 4, but nowhere close to as good as 1 & 2. Average puzzles and forgettable characters. Rex is great as George as usual, and the soundtrack is good.

Tizoc

A goddamn classic. Although I disagree with you on Ireland. That goat puzzle was just bad.

I liked the second one too, but never played any of the ones after that.

It's actually pretty easy
Pretty damn easy
Click on the Ladder, then quickly click on the object on the far left
Then just go back to the right and hey presto
Goat is a problem no more.
Hell it is among the VERY FEW instances in the game where George runs!

I love this game. Love love love. Haven't played the latest one, is it worth your time if you like 1 and 2?

By the way, fuck that goat! I was stuck at that puzzle for weeks when i was a kid!

Skip 3 and 4. I liked Ep. 1 of BS5, but Ep. 2 left much to be desired IMHO.

Shiggy

Made Broken Sword 5, a 2D broken sword game. It's ok, FAR better then 4, but nowhere close to as good as 1 & 2. Average puzzles and forgettable characters. Rex is great as George as usual, and the soundtrack is good.

But that was in late 2013/early 2014 already. Now it's almost 2018.

playXray

Ah I loved this game, and the second one. Haven't played any others so passed on 5 when it was released on PS4. Would love an HD collection of them all.

One of my favorite adventure games, along with Blade Runner.
It's pretty much Tintin: the Videogame.
Too bad I never really enjoyed any of the sequels even tough 2 is perfectly decent.

And it's one of the few cases where both the english and french dubs are equally hilarious for different reasons.

Chedsorr

Neo Member
Its one of my favorite games.
First time I played it was way back when I got my Playstation 1, didnt get to play it on pc till years later.

Great atmosphere, music and art.
Really wish they still had the original assets to give us a high resolution version.

Bluehound

Neo Member
I bought the trilogy from Steam's summer sale and haven't played it yet. Need to check it out though because most of old point and click adventures are geat.

I bought the trilogy from Steam's summer sale and haven't played it yet. Need to check it out though because most of old point and click adventures are geat.

Make sure you play the original version of BS1 and not the terrible DC. I believe steam gives you both now.

I totally agree. I really enjoyed this have when it came out. It's a great port on android. If you haven't played I recommend this version for ease of use

Played this for the first time some ten years after it's initial release, and thought that it felt pretty timeless then. My username is a combination taken from this game.

Agree with OP that the voice acting in this game is fantastic.

Tizoc

If you own the games on Steam, just check the DLC content for BS1 and BS2 and you will find the original games as dlc which you can add then download at your leisure...along with the DC versions which you should be able to delete and play the originals stand alone :p

afroguy10

One of my favourite game series. Still love playing them every few years. Gave me a knowledge and an interest in the Knights Templar years before the Dan Brown novels came out and that part of history kind of exploded.

I don't even mind 3 and 4 to be honest, they're the weakest of the bunch but they're still alright.

Always blew my mind when I was younger that the first game finishes in Bannockburn in Stirling, it's where my dad was brought up, where I was born and still only about 5 minutes from where I currently live.

The voice over in the trailer for the first game is still awesome as well.

It's actually pretty easy
Pretty damn easy
Click on the Ladder, then quickly click on the object on the far left
Then just go back to the right and hey presto
Goat is a problem no more.
Hell it is among the VERY FEW instances in the game where George runs!

Skip 3 and 4. I liked Ep. 1 of BS5, but Ep. 2 left much to be desired IMHO.

It's easy when you already know the solution. It's one of like 2 timing puzzles in the whole game. There's a reason it's notorious, it's just badly designed. The game as a whole is fantastic though and easily one of my favourites.

Top Bottom