• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Elder Scrolls game needs a rock climbing skill

People have been bitching that Oblivion and Skyrim cut back the number of skills available to the player. So here's a new one: rock climbing. From the get-go, players can climb fucking everything just like in Breath of the Wild. Not only would this give players even more freedom than the series gives them already, but having that ability would influence the world design. The devs wouldn't need to focus on making plains or cut down the number of mountains; they could put mountains everywhere, thus making a more varied and surprising environment to explore.

This isn't some sort of light suggestion that I'm making here. If TES:VI does not allow the player to climb almost every surface in the game like BotW does, it will seriously hamper my enjoyment of the game.

Put that shit in, Todd. Put it in.

Well, Daggerfall already had a climbing skill, so there's a precedent. It'd certainly be neat if they brought it back, though personally I'd like to see levitation return first.

This probably will break things more often than not if it were actually in. Though I suppose it couldn't hurt to have it, but you'd also need to modify the design a bit so that the game wouldn't be subject to sequence breaking. Or not (it probably doesn't matter)

salty_piers

Neo Member
If rock climbing were implemented, I'd hope gear would be involved that would have to be maintained. But mostly BoTW-style climbing doesn't need to implemented in every open-world game.

Mr Git

^

I was gonna say Daggerfall had it. Problem is TES games are regressive and Bethesda constantly shed nuance and the well, good bits.

Man, I hope they add a climbing skill to Elder Scrolls when they make the third game, Skyrim was my favoritest game ever on the Xbox 360

Skyrim had tons of mountains and I thought it was done fine. It also creates a barrier of where they want players to explore--not everything needs to be climbed.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
You can already climb almost everything by glitch jumping up surfaces :p

Jumping on city roofs and then out of the map into low poly hell was like my favorite passtime.

(A dedicated skill would be cool)

The next Elder Scrolls needs a lot of things that Breath of the Wild did, including getting rid of things like the magical quest marker that directs you to everything in the game (turning it off is not an option because the game is fundamentally designed around it). The industry seems to be shocked that their audience doesn't need to have their hands held like idiots, which is a shame because Bethesda's open world games should've been proving that this whole time instead of streamlining it to the point where you could be brain dead and still end up being the leader of all the factions in the game on a single character.

Morrowind vs Skyrim said:
"Nuleno Tedas gave me directions to Urshilaku camp. The camp is due north from Maar Gan, but high ridges lie in the way. Follow Foyada Bani-Dad, a deep ravine just north of Maar Gan, northwest to the sea. A shipwreck at the seamouth of the ravine is a landmark. Swim east around the headland. Pass east through the ruins of Assurnabitashpi Shrine. Urshilaku Camp lies east of the ruins, inland in a low hollow."

vs

"stare at your compass and point towards the quest marker then hold W for 10 minutes (assuming you hadn't stumbled onto it earlier allowing you to fast travel)"
LWszG2P.png

ASaiyan

Banned
"Breath of the Wild had a good idea other open-world games should steal."

This sentence evaluates to true, lol. Climbing stuff in BotW honestly was really cool. Especially when you've been climbing for like ten minutes, take that last little jump unsure if you're actually going to make it, and then boom, you're at the top, and you get a nice view and a Korok seed!

Mr Git

Skyrim had tons of mountains and I thought it was done fine. It also creates a barrier of where they want players to explore--not everything needs to be climbed.

It wasn't done fine. It meant awkward jumping and sliding for half an hour and then realising there was a meandering path but fuck paths.

Unicorn

ES needs to look long and hard at what BotW introduced to the open world rpg.

System-based interactions and physics based problem solving is the big ticket item, imo.

Of course, Bethesda needs a revamped engine and animations department to have something feasible.

Mesoian

There's a lot of stuff in BOTW and Horizon Zero Dawn that Todd is going to have to consider very closely for TES6

120v

depends on the world layout. climbing in skyrim would've had you stuck in a rock hell for like half an hour in some spots

i wouldn't mind it but the incline in recent bethesda games are alright, imo

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
depends on the world layout. climbing in skyrim would've had you stuck in a rock hell for like half an hour in some spots

i wouldn't mind it but the incline in recent bethesda games are alright, imo

The inclusion of climbing would necessitate a different take on designing the world.

Honestly, there's a ton of things the next Elder Scrolls game needs and this is only one on a very long list.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd rather a total combat overhaul but that would most likely also require redoing other parts of the game live movement in general so its probably easier for something like climbing.

How would you make climbing interesting in first-person though? Staring point-blank at a rock-surface wouldn't be very fun. If we're talking verticality, I'd like to see normal mantling for a start - then maybe they could add some interesting spells like reduced gravity, conjure strong updraft, blink, or even walk on walls.

I do think we'll see increased vertical design for the next Elder Scrolls, even if just a superficial implementation - vertical-design is slowly becoming almost a buzzword. They need to fix so many things before they do that,

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
um, you do realize far cry had this long before zelda right OP? botw itself took a lot from the open world genre and put it in the zelda context, not the other way around.

with that being said, the next elder scrolls should do that so i dont have to jump up a mountain at an almost 90 degree angle just to get where i want to go

Glazed

The next Elder Scrolls needs a lot of things that Breath of the Wild did, including getting rid of things like the magical quest marker that directs you to everything in the game (turning it off is not an option because the game is fundamentally designed around it). The industry seems to be shocked that their audience doesn't need to have their hands held like idiots, which is a shame because Bethesda's open world games should've been proving that this whole time instead of streamlining it to the point where you could be brain dead and still end up being the leader of all the factions in the game on a single character.
please, no

Catshade

Naah, I'd rather swimming become more useful, along with more interesting underwater locales.

Edit: If you want verticality that bad, they should bring levitation spell back.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How would you make climbing interesting in first-person though? Staring point-blank at a rock-surface wouldn't be very fun. If we're talking verticality, I'd like to see normal mantling for a start - then maybe they could add some interesting spells like reduced gravity, conjure strong updraft, blink, or even walk on walls.

I do think we'll see increased vertical design for the next Elder Scrolls, even if just a superficial implementation - vertical-design is slowly becoming almost a buzzword. They need to fix so many things before they do that,

Zoom out in 3rd person like it does for horseback riding. Boom.

please, no

Why no climbing? You'd rather glitch your way to where you need to go?

ASaiyan

Banned
Please no what?

You'd rather mindlessly follow a quest marker than have the location being described to you in the quest log?
I think open-world games should do both, honestly (which is what BotW does). Have an "idiot marker" to places you to need to go to advance the main quest for people like me, and then maybe have less guidance or some riddles or something for the optional sidequests.

CHC

If for no other reason than the side-splittingly hilarious animation glitches, which would inevitably happen.

Please no what?

You'd rather mindlessly follow a quest marker than have the location being described to you in the quest log?
Yes

I would be fine if they used that for hidden treasures and specific quests like in BoTW. Having it be the main source of navigation for questing would just be frustrating.

Mesoian

I guarantee you, if they did that, Skyrim wouldn't have been remotely the success it was.

The general masses would have ended up getting lost somewhere and giving the game up much in the same way that most people stop playing online multiplayer after a week. Once the reward dries up, people's interest goes elsewhere.

Please no what?

Considering the complete lack of quality in those AWFUL treasure map missions, absolutely.

Bethesda does not do nuance.

GHG

Yes

I would be fine if they used that for hidden treasures and specific quests like in BoTW. Having it be the main source of navigation for questing would just be frustrating.

This is why we can't have nice things.

The google maps generation.

Zoom out in 3rd person like it does for horseback riding. Boom.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that! I'd always presumed that Bethesda were strict about only implementing things that worked in both first and 3rd - not wanting players to be drawn out of their preferred view. But I guess they've already abandoned that, doubly so with the 3rd person conversations in Fallout 4.

I'd be happy to see them imp climbing from Zelda, but I'd rather not see them build the whole game around that sole mechanic. A magician rock-climber is the sort of dissonance that I really want to see Bethesda avoid. Ideally you could spec traversal in a character appropriately:
- Grappling hook/Rope for Archer like in FarCry 4,
- Rock climbing + increased jump for Warrior,
- Blink/defy gravity/updraft/levitation for Mage.

GhaleonEB

The time to add that would have been Skyrim, where we climb lots of rocks and mountains by bunny hopping. Making a game set amidst mountains without any consideration for how we navigate them is a very Bethesda thing to do.

Top Bottom