• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Edge_Maverick noticed that Square Enix put out their annual report. I'll probably put up quite a few threads as I get through this.

In this section they mention:
- Final Fantasy XV was a blockbuster success
- Tomb Raider and Deus Ex were major critical hits and show the company can make great games
- Nier was way above expectations and they'll be working to build it into a major franchise going forward

These were all fairly obvious, but I thought people would be most interested in point 3.

Digital Entertainment Business Segment
In the fiscal year ended March 2017, the Digital Entertainment Business Segment posted net sales of ¥199 billion
and operating income of ¥33.3 billion, with both figures representing year-on-year growth. In the HD (High-Definition)
Games sub-segment, major titles such as “FINAL FANTASY XV,” “Rise of the Tomb Raider” for PlayStation®4, “Deus
Ex: Mankind Divided,” and “NieR:Automata” made major contributions to earnings. We released “FINAL FANTASY XV,”
the latest series title in the FINAL FANTASY franchise, simultaneously in all markets on November 29, 2016. Thanks
to your support, the title has been a major global hit enjoyed by gamers the world over. Since the game’s launch, we
have released DLC (downloadable content) and updates to ensure its many fans can continue to play it over the long
term. In the case of “Rise of the Tomb Raider,” we first released versions for Xbox One and Xbox 360 followed
by Windows in the fiscal year ended March 2016, before making it available for PlayStation®4 in the fiscal year ended
March 2017. The global response to the title has been excellent, putting it on par with “Deus Ex: Mankind Divided” as
a symbol of the high quality of our Group’s products. In addition, “NieR:Automata,” which we released
in February 2017, has proven a global hit far in excess of our expectations. It has not only reminded the world of the
high quality of Japanese games, but also demonstrated significant potential for future franchise development.
Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2017en.pdf

"major franchise going forward"

We did it, everyone. We became as gods.

L2bHidL.gif

Ferr986

Honestly, I'm kinda worried that they'll mess the IP if they gonna keep pumping NieRs, especially if they do direct sequels.

In this section they mention:
- Final Fantasy XV was a blockbuster success
- Tomb Raider and Deus Ex were major critical hits and show the company can make great games
- Nier was way above expectations and they'll be working to build it into a major franchise going forward
Ok. So can we stop calling it a bomb or financial disaster now?

I am really happy to see NieR achieving this success but I am also afraid that they might just kill it. They need to handle it efficiently and not just double down on sequels or mediocre games. That will kill the IP again.

Manu

I wonder if this means we'll only see Nier games in the future or stuff like Drakengard 4 isin the cards as well.

Smo21

As someone who owned the original Nier forever and finally played it leading up the Automata I am very excited to see Yoko Taro continue this series

Zukkoyaki

Good to hear!

It's nice to have Square Enix back. They've been releasing a ton of high quality and different games these past couple of years and have a great upcoming slate.

Fluloco

I have this feeling that Yoko Taro may bail if they're treating this like a real IP. It's not, it's Taro's baby (a giant super fucking scary baby that came out from a portal on the sky)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's fantastic news. Maybe that first one will get a proper re release.

Yoko Taro said a potential remaster could be on the table of Automata did well............ Hmmm. Now I kind of want a full remake with Platinum developing it instead. Fuck that'd be amazing. But only if they make Papa Nier canon.

CrazyHal

If you told me years ago that Nier would eventually become a huge franchise, i would have said that your full of it and slap you in the face.

Yet are we are.

Gator86

"Deus Ex was a major critical hit that shows we still make good games. We also killed Deus Ex."

Get fuuuuuuuucked, SE.

Nier was good. FFXV is still ass.

Opa-Pa

Here's hoping the series remains under Taro and SE doesn't end up mismanaging it. It may sound weird but most SE games/series I enjoy happen to be niche/low budget efforts.

I really don't want them to try to make the next game some western pandering open world™ nonsense.

Still, congrats on the success. Platinum x Taro was always a match made in heaven.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wonder how much ff14 turning into a success got them to pull their heads out of their assess on other fronts :D

was the bravely stuff successful too?

BadWolf

Awesome to hear about Nier and FFXV being major successes.

What happened with Nier is pretty much a dream scenario.

Top Bottom