• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2: First look at sequel's next generation cast.

SpaceWolf

Banned
From Entertainment Weekly.

The first of four sequels to James Cameron’s game-changing blockbuster won’t hit theaters until 2020. But EW has the exclusive intel on the troupe of young actors who will join stars Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana on Pandora (first photo below).

The forest-dwelling offspring of Avatar‘s human–turned–Na’vi hero (Sam Worthington) and his fiery love interest, Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), will play a crucial role in the long-long-long-awaited follow-ups to the 2009 blockbuster, the first of which began filming on Sept. 25 (and are called the Avatar Sequels, by the way).

The young actors playing Sully’s family are revealed here for the first time, along with the children from another Na’vi clan, called the Metkayina, who dwell on giant oceanic atoll reefs under the rule of a leader named Tonowari (Cliff Curtis of Fear the Walking Dead).

Of course, in the above photo, you’ll have to use your imagination a bit to picture the cast in CG character as lanky blue cat-eyed Na’vi. That is, with one exception — Javier “Spider” Socorro (played by 12-year-old Jack Champion, who’s standing on the right in a blue shirt in the above photo). Spider is a human teenager born at the Hell’s Gate military complex, a crucial location in the first film.

According to producer Jon Landau, the kids of Avatar 2 represent the biggest focus shift from the original movie. “We never had this youthful element before, and that brings a different kind of energy to the film,” he says. “They represent the future generation of Pandora and play a very significant role — not just in this movie but throughout all the movies.”

Hoping this franchise won't become too kid-centric.

Eat my eyes for jujubes if old.

T.v

I was incredibly hyped. Imagining the movies being focused on kids is an incredible disappointment. I sincerely hope it will be kept to a minimum.

Sanke__

Stranger Things?
It?

Yes those are two examples of it working

So the chances of this being good are about 2 in a million

Edit: terminator 2 and Aliens both have one child as a supporting character, that is not even remotely similar to something starring a group of children

Snaku

Banned
Outliers, in all honesty. The majority of kid-centric stuff sucks

I don't have faith that Cameron can do a good kid-centric movie. Although he did do T2, but I don't know if he can strike that oil again

The Goonies?
Aliens?
The Monster Squad?
ET?
T2?

I think some of you still suffer from Phantom Menace PTSD or something. The only real outlier here is the fact that films featuring children made by talented filmmakers are few and far between. Are we honestly going to pretend James Cameron cannot get good performances out of child actors after he's already done it multiple times?

SeanC

A massive big-budget sequel to the biggest Box Office movie of all time and you cast a diverse cast of children to focus a lot of the story and plot on...

...dude say what you want but that's friggin bold. I give him props for that.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
My enthusiasm for Avatar took a dive with this cast. Is Cameron doing a Phantom Menace here?

Busty

Banned
Given how much the film industry has changed (cinematic universes, rejecting 3D, etc) since the first Avatar was released it's going to be interesting to see whether Cameron's epics will reinvent the wheel again or simply get crushed underneath it.

KoopaTheCasual

Wait, so EVERY single kid in that picture is a CG alien, except for the one pale white boy in the blue shirt?

Lol... so much for diversity.
A massive big-budget sequel to the biggest Box Office movie of all time and you cast a diverse cast of children to focus a lot of the story and plot on...

...dude say what you want but that's friggin bold. I give him props for that.
They're all CG, except for the white kid. I shit you not.

Yeah, I know, but even in 1991, who looks at BART SIMPSON and goes "yeah. I want that in live action. But whinier and shittier."

I mean, I guess James Cameron does. But I don't think it was a particularly great call.

Top Bottom