• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a nintendo DS! tell me some great non traditional games!

So I finally decided to pick up a Nintendo Ds Lite after planning to get one for a long time. The new Pokemon game above anything else is my main reason for me buying the system. and i figured considering it's comming out soon, that i might as well buy it now.

So what are some good games for the system that are unique and non traditional? i'd like some fresh new game experiences.

I know the final fantasy and castlevania games are good already, but i'd like some recommendations for titles that go outside the box, such as wario ware and elite beat agents.

I picked up Elite beat agents with the DS. so far it's pretty cool, i haven't had much time to play it yet though. but i can see it getting hard!

the craziest thing was the DS in this town, Fort Mcmurray Canada. Was sold out almost everywhere.. the only place we found one was at roger's Video... 2 months after xmas when you'd think an older system would be easy to walk in and buy.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
edwardslane said:
2 months after xmas when you'd think an older system would be easy to walk in and buy.

ds-prints-money.gif

I had fun with Brain Age for a month. You must buy Phoenix Wright. I heard Hotel Dusk is pretty cool too. If you like puzzles, Meteos uses the touch screen well.

Mrbob

Elite Beat Agents
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright Justice for All
Brain Age
Big Brain Academy
Cooking Mama

Hotel Dusk sucks.

ThomPayne

jj984jj said:
Problem is they are only worth $5... combined.
How is this a problem? Getting at least 2 great games (I haven't played Pic Pax) for what you say is worth $5 is awesome! I really recommend Cooking Mama and Hotel Dusk. Elite Beat Agents and/or Ouendan are good too.

Akala

Add more votes for Hotel Dusk, Cooking Mama, Pheonix Wright and (since i didn't see it mentioned) Zoo Keeper.

I was addicted to Brian Age for about a month, not bad for a $20 purchase. I still boot it up now and then to play the sudokus, of which there's a bunch.

Ouendan is absolutely fabulous and great fun even though I suck at rhythm games. (Note: Does anyone know how to open the harder difficulty levels? I've beaten all the songs on easy and spiky hair, but with shitty B and C ratings. Do I have to get all As?)

Both Phoenix Wright games are great fun if you you know what you're getting into: humorous, well-written comedy mysteries that are a little light on actual "gameplay."

Brak

Meteos and Kirby:Canvas Curse (don't worry if you've never played a Kirby game before, it's a totally new experience).

Giard

Brak said:
Meteos and Kirby:Canvas Curse (don't worry if you've never played a Kirby game before, it's a totally new experience).

Yep. Haven't played Elite Beat Agents, but everyone's saying good things about it, so you could try it out.

keanerie

Elite Beat Agents is one of the best games of 06, easily. Hotel Dusk is interesting and unique, but certainly flawed. I think the surest shot is EBA.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
**** non-traditional, you can get some of the best traditional games this generation!

Here's what I have so far:
1. NSMB - platforming greatness. Just easy enough to encourage exploration without punishment. I love the new power-ups. This game is a perfect re-introduction into SNES-style gaming, and what I believe might become the second (would it be the third, now?) golden age of videogames.

2. Children of Mana - a great, somewhat tedious, aRPG dungeon crawler with great art and even better music. 20 hours-ish. More for the Mana-completists and people that enjoy the genre, which I really do.

3. Yoshi's Island - exponentially harder than NSMB, with super-cute art, a nice multiple-character system, and a lot of replayability (which I will never persue). Pretty good music. I hate the ****ing "grades" at the end where it tells you how much shit you missed. ****!

4. DQH: Rocket Slime - Oh hell this is a fun game. I just got it for myself (for $13 on eBay!) and it is simply wonderful. Honestly, it has me hyped for DQS on the Wii because it has shown me that the side-projects get the full treatment and attention that the main series gets as well. The slingy-slangin' stages are fun, but the tank battles are brilliance in a box. I love this game. The music, that monsters, the artwork. It's the definition of fun.

Next Up
1. Castlevania - DoS/PoR. I'll get one of these to see what I'm missing. I'm hoping they're not too difficult because I tend to give up on very punishing platformers that make you replay the same ****ing level a billion times before advancing.

2. Lunar Knights - Yumm. Vampires, space things. aRPG. Sold!

In the future
1. FFXII Revenant Wings - omg omg omg omg. Seriously. omg!
2. Heroes of Mana - this is being completely overlooked by this forum but it will become greatness. I know it!
3. DQIX - omg omg jesus omg omg omg. Seriously ****ing hell. omg!!

tokkun

PantherLotus said:
Next Up
1. Castlevania - DoS/PoR. I'll get one of these to see what I'm missing. I'm hoping they're not too difficult because I tend to give up on very punishing platformers that make you replay the same ****ing level a billion times before advancing.

Better get DoS then. Better level design and less difficult than PoR.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mrbob said:
Elite Beat Agents
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright Justice for All
Brain Age

Big Brain Academy
Cooking Mama

Hotel Dusk sucks.

The 4 games are great, highly recommended

justchris

I just want to chime in and say that Meteos needs much more love than it's getting. It's right up there with Magical Drop as far as addictive puzzle games go. Definitely pick up the original if you can find it. I haven't tried the new version (Disney Magic) yet, so I can't vouch for it.

Mudhoney

I really like Electroplankton, so I'd recommend trying that out. I just realized while searching around for a good deal to link here, that the game has apparently become really hard to find and is going for $50-$60 on ebay... this is news to me. If you can find it at a regular price (I payed $20) then grab it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Father_Mike said:
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - just played it. wow.

It seems that people are still getting the Phoenix Wright buzz 17 months after it came out, impressive.

It makes me happy because number 2 sold pretty good from the NPD numbers we got and number 3 will likely be announced soon.

Mardak

edwardslane said:
I picked up Elite beat agents with the DS
If you like that, try importing Ouendan (and Ouendan 2 when it comes out.)

I'm not sure why people are suggesting Phoenix Wright - it's not anything too special for the DS other than being on the DS. If you're looking for something that makes the best use of DS features such as dual screens, touch screen, microphone, WiFi, etc... Phoenix Wright games won't be near the top of that list.

But if you just want an excellent game, Phoenix Wright should be on the list.

And on the same line of thinking. Daigasso Band Brothers is an excellent game that originally had GBA roots (initial development started on GBA but never was released). It also has insane multiplayer with 8 player single cart fun.

bigswords

Mardak said:
And on the same line of thinking. Daigasso Band Brothers is an excellent game that originally had GBA roots (initial development started on GBA but never was released). It also has insane multiplayer with 8 player single cart fun.

There's an infinity mode for unlimited players to join in :D

Scenester

Hcoregamer00 said:
It seems that people are still getting the Phoenix Wright buzz 17 months after it came out, impressive.

It makes me happy because number 2 sold pretty good from the NPD numbers we got and number 3 will likely be announced soon.

Yep Its gonna be sweet once we get PW3. PW was one of the best games I played last year.

I can't wait until they finish porting the old GBA Phoenix Wright games and we get the new installment designed for specifically for the DS.

yayaba

keanerie said:
Great god. So...many...juniors.

Nice constructive post.

Man, reading this thread makes me love the DS anymore but then I realize I've had my DS for over a year now and I've still barely scratched the surface of it's game library.

Scenester

ErinIsADrunk said:
I can't wait until they finish porting the old GBA Phoenix Wright games and we get the new installment designed for specifically for the DS.

It looks great huh. The graphics are... better

Vard

Elite Beat Agents looks fun enough... but when I look at the tracklisting, it's so hard for me to buy it. Sum 41, Avril Lavigne (aka Advil Lasagna), Ashlee Simpson, Good Charlotte, and Hoobastank. Those are major red flags for me... :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Vard said:
Elite Beat Agents looks fun enough... but when I look at the tracklisting, it's so hard for me to buy it. Sum 41, Avril Lavigne (aka Advil Lasagna), Ashlee Simpson, Good Charlotte, and Hoobastank. Those are major red flags for me... :(
At least they aren't the originals...?

Scenester

Elite Beat Agents is an amazing game. Sure a lot of the music isnt very good, but that doesnt really matter in the context of this title

You just need to pick up Kirby's Canvas Curse man, for me it's the top game available. Also, greatly underrated is Pac-Pix. Hella fun if you can find it for a decent price.

Mudhoney

Vard said:

I thought the same thing. The game is, however, awesome enough to transcend my dislike for many of the artists on the tracklist.

Moz La Punk said:
Hey question: is it better to import the original Elite Beat Agents because of the soundtrack?

that depends if you prefer kitchy j-pop or top 40 hits from the 60s-now.

from a musical perspective you are between a rock and a hard place.

Hm, I'm into stuff like Tool, NiN and Deftones and some punk like the Clash, so I think I'll steer well clear of the US version. J-Pop can't be that bad, can it?

Muppet345

Moz La Punk said:
Hm, I'm into stuff like Tool, NiN and Deftones and some punk like the Clash, so I think I'll steer well clear of the US version. J-Pop can't be that bad, can it?
No, it's pretty much the Japanese equivalent of what Elite Beat Agents had. Some of it is truly, truly awful. But that's not the point. You'll enjoy playing the levels because they're so well made and entertaining, and the music becomes catchy and compelling right along with it. I'd never, ever listen to some of the stuff on Elite Beat Agent's soundtrack, but I like it while I'm playing.

Top Bottom