• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Says It Doesn't See 'Loot Boxes' As Gambling

Mattenth

From Kotaku's Jason Schreier: https://kotaku.com/esrb-says-it-doesnt-see-loot-boxes-as-gambling-1819363091

“ESRB does not consider loot boxes to be gambling,” said an ESRB spokesperson in an e-mail. “While there’s an element of chance in these mechanics, the player is always guaranteed to receive in-game content (even if the player unfortunately receives something they don’t want). We think of it as a similar principle to collectible card games: Sometimes you’ll open a pack and get a brand new holographic card you’ve had your eye on for a while. But other times you’ll end up with a pack of cards you already have.”

According to the ESRB’s criteria, “Real Gambling” is any sort of wagering involving real cash, while “Simulated Gambling” means that the “player can gamble without betting or wagering real cash or currency.” The spokesperson added that any game with real gambling will always receive an “Adults Only” rating, which would be poisonous for big publishers, as most big-box retailers will not sell A-O games in their stores.

Chris1

I don't think they're technically/legally wrong but I don't know why people expected change. Isn't ESRB american?

Go to Pegi if you want something done. The Uk/Europe is far better when it comes to this sort of thing than America is. Pegi might actually do something if pressures is put on them then we can hope that follows suite in other countries aswell, it's the best shot, IMO

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wow, industry self regulating body determines industry's newest way to manipulate customers for profit is not a bad thing.

TripleBee

I would say that even under their argument that some of the stuff on steam still falls under Actual Gambling.

Pay money for keys to open boxes -> Hope for valuable skin -> sell it on the market for money.

Granted I guess because you can't take the money out of steam (at least not in any legit way), that it's basically Disney Dollars in their eyes.

ViciousDS

Banned
player can gamble without betting or wagering real cash or currency.

eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

except they do bet or wager real cash for a chance to get those items

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that there's no real differentiation with card packs IRL. Regulate those!

I don't think they're technically/legally wrong but I don't know why people expected change. Isn't ESRB american?

Go to Pegi if you want something done. The Uk/Europe is far better when it comes to this sort of thing than America is. Pegi might actually do something if pressures is put on them.

Agreed.

America please can you tone down the money worship? It's ruining things for the rest of us?

Boke1879

Wow, industry self regulating body determines industry's newest way to manipulate customers for profit is not a bad thing.

I mean I really can't disagree with the reasoning here.

And ESRB is on for the NA market correct? Even if they did this would the Europeon and Japanese review agencies do the same thing or come the same conclusion?

Ploid 3.0

Well it's up to reviewers, and word of mouth for America. I wish America also required game companies to disclose the odds for items like China does.

giphy.gif

ps3ud0

And I presume converting real cash into in game currency to then gamble with is a loophole far enough to allow publishers to get away with it.

Least we know now that they aren't voluntarily interested in self regulation. No real surprise there...

ps3ud0 8)

Welfare

You are always guaranteed an item when opening a loot box, just like how you can open a TCG pack and not get the one thing you want.

Both are not gambling.

border

Stakes are generally not big enough for this to be really considered gambling that is in need of regulation.

ViciousDS

Banned
They're saying you can't get real money back out.

ah, that makes much more sense

the comparison to TCG's is a fair one.....I don't think we are arguing micro transactions its just we want more transparency on the odds and it done more well instead of some of the poor implementations of it

Sephzilla

It isn't necessarily gambling but it's still exploitative and feeds off of similar habits that lead to gambling addition.

Rellik

Go to Pegi if you want something done. The Uk/Europe is far better when it comes to this sort of thing than America is. Pegi might actually do something if pressures is put on them then we can hope that follows suite in other countries aswell, it's the best shot, IMO

PEGI are as useless as a floppy cock.

Beartruck

They're not wrong. Gambling has a chance of you ending up with nothing. Loot boxes at least give you something, even if its crap.

Deku89

It's almost worse. Pay money with no chance of cash return (rather than a tiny chance). I'm hoping the market will crash it, but I have little faith.

Pastry

Banned
I see nothing wrong with ESRB’s assessment of the situation and it pretty closely mirrors how I feel about the loot boxes. Don’t think it will go over well here though.

Nyoro SF

Disappointed. This is a new digital face on an old physical gotcha practice. The definition needs an update to include this anti-consumer practice.

kirblar

I see nothing wrong with ESRB’s assessment of the situation and it pretty closely mirrors how I feel about the loot boxes. Don’t think it will go over well here though.
Agreed. TCGs, Baseball Cards, these things have been around for eons.

dose

The spokesperson added that any game with real gambling will always receive an ”Adults Only" rating, which would be poisonous for big publishers, as most big-box retailers will not sell A-O games in their stores.
So because it would be 'poisonous' to big publishers, you won't class it as real gambling?

FHIZ

By strict definition sure. I can see the card collecting analogy as a decent example. The problem is that they encourage the tendencies that come with gambling. It’s a weird middle ground that absolutely should still be noted by ratings boards.

BUUUUUUUUT, the ESRB isn’t exactly objective so there’s that.

Top Bottom