• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intrusive ads

kingbean

Hey, what's going on with the ads popping up ads trying to install malware on my phone?

Every damn topic I click on opens up a page telling me my device is infected with not having this virus installed.

This is only happening on my galaxy s8 and only on this site.

Ubername

Banned
I can live with the banner ads but whenever the ad takes over my phone it starts to be a problem.

If it continues I could see people turning to ad blockers. Just saying.

I don't know, I don't think there's any way to look at them other than an intrusion on what you're currently doing. I can come up with jokes but at the end of the day advertising is insidious and it is absolutely not free and everything about it is bad barring how it is essential to the economics of everything. So yea, it is fucked up when the ad takes over your entire phone, I agree.

OrionFalls

I'm sorry but this is just bullshit. If you're using the service that is being offered, the very least you can do is to display the ads so a revenue can be generated.
Allowing us access to post on the forum does not give them the right to force adverts on us that take over our phone. It’s annoying and obnoxious, and we shouldn’t have to put up with it.

llien

Just noticed that ads are coming from google. Site is probably not in control of exactly which ads wil get shown.

There are buttons to block and report an advertisment in the right top corner of it (at least on desktop)

Grinchy

Banned
After the exodus, I re-enabled ads and even started using the mobile site on regular Chrome instead of the adblock browser. I haven't had any issues yet, but the first time it does one of those fake virus pop-ups on my phone or tablet is going to be the last time. I mostly use desktop, though.

Zog

Banned
By definition all ads are intrusive. The main goal is to steal your attention. That people have learned to tune them out doesn't change that goal.

RSP

Allowing us access to post on the forum does not give them the right to force adverts on us that take over our phone. It’s annoying and obnoxious, and we shouldn’t have to put up with it.

In a way, it does. If you're using something for free, then you are the product being sold. But that was not the point being made. He was putting it like "I'll turn off my ad-blocker when I deceide you've earned it".

Blam

I mean I don't know what is up with you guys but at least for me the only ads I get are the hyper x ones and I'm on Chrome.

Top Bottom