• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD Nintendo Wii games announced for Nvidia Shield China version

creamsugar

Official site: https://www.nvidia.com/zh-cn/shield/

Source: Nvidia Shield event in China today.

Hardware: 1499 RMB (230 USD)
Software: 68 RMB (10 USD)

All Nintendo games are 1080P, digital only, will support motion control in future.

Game list form registered trademark:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Punch-Out!!
Metroid Prime (Trilogy?)

And Super Mario Sunshine (Yes, Nintendo confirmed there will be Game Cube games)

sPPDRYi.jpg

4BE4B5w.jpg

JP

If that is accurate, the most interesting thing about that is surely the similarity between the Nvidia Shield and the Switch chipsets.

JP

To be honest, without knowing the full context of those images they could have just been taken from a Nvidia event during the Tegra section.

To be honest, without knowing the full context of those images they could have just been taken from a Nvidia event during the Tegra section.

Still, that would at least mean that Switch versions of those games are coming right? That's pretty great news in itself.

JP

Still, that would at least mean that Switch versions of those games are coming right? That's pretty great news in itself.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned the chipsets. If Nintendo were releasing them for the Shield then it wouldn't really make any sense for them not to also release them on the Switch.

I'm trying to be cautious though until we get some more information on what's actually happening.

EDIT:
Not official but this Twitter feed seems to be what publications are listing as their source. @pdapandapda

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It does seem very un Nintendo to do a deal like this.
Nintendo takes its game exclusivity very seriously.

tkscz

It does seem very un Nintendo to do a deal like this.
Nintendo takes its game exclusivity very seriously.

This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has done this for China. From 2000 to 2015, China didn't allow outsider video games consoles to be released in the country and even Chinese companies weren't allowed to release their consoles everywhere. Not until 2015 were they allowed to sell consoles there and that was way past the Wii. Nintendo actually would allow Chinese companies to create consoles their games could run on. Even prior to the ban, Nintendo often did this more than they release their actual hardware in China. Look up the Ique player which is Nintendo licensed way for the Chinese to play N64 games.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This is really good for Nintendo, as is the spread of Nintendo-related emulation.

Because unlike Sony, Nintendo is very franchise and character based.
So something like this helps get more audiences used to Nintendo characters and franchises.

They can reach tens of millions of people that don't buy Nintendo consoles, and just suck them all in with big releases in the future.
It's awesome.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
To follow up on my post It would be silly to create such games and not bring them out on the switch.

Demand would be too great.

So long as they don’t have the switch tax I will buy them

Wonder if a digital download would take up much room?

They should sell the games at 9.99-15 would sell like crazy and give profit.

Hell a load of Wii HD and GCHD on the switch would be excellent and seriously could release them during quiet season keep the cash flowing in.

they could do a Classic 64 console , the the GC Wii Games could then be Download only on switch. as a Wii and GC classic console would have enough memory internally seeing as the NES/SNES are probably the same internals with 512MB storage . Nintendo wouldn’t have the memory to hold them all ok a classic console and it would drive the price up to have a large internal storage also with the switch the joy cons can sense movement so why make a Wii mini?

Wait ....please , oh that’s what’s going to happen isn’t it?!? I mean if Ninte so have sense.

Do it.

To follow up on my post It would be silly to create such games and not bring them out on the switch.

Demand would be too great.

So long as they don’t have the switch tax I will buy them

Wonder if a digital download would take up much room?

They should sell the games at 9.99-15 would sell like crazy and give profit.

Hell a load of Wii HD and GCHD on the switch would be excellent and seriously could release them during quiet season keep the cash flowing in.

they could do a Classic 64 console , the the GC Wii Games could then be Download only on switch. as a Wii and GC classic console would have enough memory internally seeing as the NES/SNES are probably the same internals with 512MB storage . Nintendo wouldn’t have the memory to hold them all ok a classic console and it would drive the price up to have a large internal storage also with the switch the joy cons can sense movement so why make a Wii mini?

Wait ....please , oh that’s what’s going to happen isn’t it?!? I mean if Ninte so have sense.

Do it.

We all know it will be more like 19.99 - 29.99... or even more.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
How can motion control come later for a game like Mario Galaxy, which is pretty much impossible to play without it...? Hmm...

And Metroid Prime 3 was only motion control.... Wha?

Give givem e 1080p HD Metroid Trilogy on Switch Nintendo. Why are these asshats so odd when it comes to making money...

Vitacat

I hope for switch versions too.

Is the shield as powerful as the switch ?

Yeah, same SOC (System 0n a Chip) inside (Nvidia Tegra X1).

FWIW, I happen to own both a Shield TV and Switch, and love them both. The Shield TV is a killer emulation and media/streaming device, and the controller (the newer model) is remarkably good with a brilliant dpad. Basically anything the Shield can do, the Switch should be able to do, and visa versa.

LordOfChaos

Whaat.

Very curious. Is this an official deal between Nintendo and Nvidia? They're already working together so I guess that's possible. Streaming or local? So many questions!

Also given that it's pixel for pixel the same SoC as the Switch (albeit the latter at lower clocks), some work could be transferable.

MrKeinov

Is it the same Tegra X1 shield? So these will be in play store basically geo-locked to china? I would bet someone would leak the APK and the games would include english.

Whaat.

Very curious. Is this an official deal between Nintendo and Nvidia? They're already working together so I guess that's possible. Streaming or local? So many questions!

I think they are closely working together. Perfecting the Wii/GC emulation on Tegra X1 chipset would benefit Nintendo so much there's no doubt its for mutual benefits. Meanwhile Nvidia gets killer app software to sell the lackluster Shield, and this was speculated for a while. But its likely they'll never release this on other markets.

There's also no doubt Nintendo used libraries provided by Nvidia to implement the capture function to switch. They also stated before that partnership between the companies will last more than a decade, so this is just the tip of the iceberg.

lestar

Holy shit this is huge. The implications for Nintendo on other platforms !

I doubt it, this must be a kind of deal between Nintendo and Nvidia only, like the Nintendo and Philips deal with the CD-i.

The implication of this if is ture, is that eventually, switch will have a WII HD VC, maybe the contract between Nintendo and Nvidia, gives nvidia a temporal exclusivity of Virtual Console for the shield, that could explain why Switch has no any VC yet.
Switch has the same chipset, with more memory and metal API, Dolphin runs quite well in the shield TV, and that is an unofficial emulator running on android. An oficial emulator could run perfectly on X1 chipset, even better on metal API.

How can motion control come later for a game like Mario Galaxy, which is pretty much impossible to play without it...? Hmm...

Give givem e 1080p HD Metroid Trilogy on Switch Nintendo. Why are these asshats so odd when it comes to making money...
The same way people play Wii games on PC without motion controls? Map buttons to different functions. Most Wii games play fine with a controller.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
If they did this outside of China I bet the Shield would be flying off the shelves. There are a ton of games available on Shield that aren't on Switch and vise versa. I'm surprised MGS: TTS isn't listed as one of the GC games on the list with the other titles in the series available. It seems like a natural fit.

Edit - Playing VC games is one thing, but what could this mean for games having cross-compatibility (Shield games on Switch or Switch games on Shield) in the future? IIRC the internal hardware is identical, but what about the OS or just game compatibility in general? Would this be a relatively simple process or is there too much code that would have to be re-written?

DonF

ohhh damn! Come on! both machines have the same SoC! At least we know its doable...

Edit: "Wii games on Shield will cost RMB 68." Thats 10 freaking dollars...If nintendo ports wii games to switch with a $10 price tag I would buy every.single.one of those ports

Taker666

Switch versions have to be coming.

Fingers crossed they port Endless Ocean 1&2 as well (although I'd prefer a sequel)

RootCause

I'd buy them all day one if they release them on switch. Hell, I'd double dip, and get it for my shield tv. Lovely system.

entremet

It’s not that hard to update those controls.

Shifty

So, odds on APKs of these appearing all over the internet a day or so after release?

I'm thinking fairly high unless they've put some fancy DRM in place.

Top Bottom