• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Folding@Home: GAF Team #51353. Time to get us back in the Top 100!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
fahmain.jpg

The official Folding@HOME with GAF thread

Cure cancer GAF. Make it happen.

It all started with this foldathon event:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=1336294

IT HAS BEGUN. PS3s rocking the science world
GAF TEAM homepage:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=51353

How to join you ask?

Click triangle when running the folding client and select Identity. There you can choose a name and a team. Make sure to put 51353 for team NeoGAF!

PS3 kicking Super Computer ass:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

Google link to allow you to fold and browse at the same time.
http://www.google.com

Milestones:
* World Record bitches!
* PS3 now doing Petaflops on its on :O
* WE HAVE REACHED A PETAFLOP (though now is sort of back and forth)
* we are in 133th place at the momment with a trmendous run since the folding program started.
* PS3 as a user (those that didnt supply their name), is in first place and has a wopping 804,530 Work units and growing, twice as much as the closest rival.
* 2CH@PS3 is the best PS3 only team at the moment. 44th place and projected to be 37th a month from now surpassing their own Team 2CH.

Funny Video, PS3 Self aware after Folding ...:
http://gamepro.com/video/player.cfm?vid=106060

Update from PS blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/03/foldinghome-update/
I just wanted to follow up on some comments from my earlier Folding@home post and provide some quick statistical updates.

Some people wanted to know what this “folding” is all about and why it makes sense on the PS3. To learn more about the project, you should visit the Stanford Folding@home site and have a look at the PS3 FAQ. But why PS3? First of all, there is no obligation to run the program, you can always ignore it if you prefer. The PS3 has two valuable things to offer researchers at Stanford: its powerful Cell Processor plus a large, dedicated PS3 community that is willing to help. These two things combined result in a significant contribution to the work that is done at Stanford to fight diseases.

There have been a lot of feature proposals. The F@h client on PS3 will be updated from time to time, and I am sure that we are picking up some of the suggestions. Stay tuned for details…

Many folks posted their WU scores - good work everyone! You probably know that there are statistics pages at Stanford where you can lookup your scores. But did you know that there are also other sites that take those scores and come up with a much more in-depth analysis? Take a look at Kakaostats or ExtremeOverclocking, just to name a few. You can figure out when you would reach a certain milestone, which rank your team would have a month from now, or review your contribution history. Some PS3-related highlights are below:

Folding@home program as the most powerful distributed computing network in the world and in Guinness World Records!!
Folding@Home recognised by Guinness World Records
Mark Androvich 21:44 (BST) 31/10/2007
SCE to continue supporting distributed computing projects
Guinness World Records has officially recognised Sony's Folding@home program as the most powerful distributed computing network in the world.
As previously reported, Folding@home surpassed the one petaflop computer milestone in early September, counting both PC and PS3 users. PS3 users alone reached the petaflop mark on September 23.
"To have Folding@home recognized by Guinness World Records as the most powerful distributed computing network ever is a reflection of the extraordinary worldwide participation by gamers and consumers around the world and for that we are very grateful," said Vijay Pande, associate professor of chemistry at Stanford University and Folding@home project lead.
"Without them we would not be able to make the advancements we have made in our studies of several different diseases. But it is clear that none of this would be even remotely possible without the power of PS3, it has increased our research capabilities by leaps and bounds."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30144
congrats to all involved.

Professor Pande, Associate Professor of Chemistry at Stanford University and Folding@home project lead, said it best:
“To have Folding@home recognized by Guinness World Records as the most powerful distributed computing network ever is a reflection of the extraordinary worldwide participation by gamers and consumers around the world and for that we are very grateful. Without them we would not be able to make the advancements we have made in our studies of several different diseases. But it is clear that none of this would be even remotely possible without the power of PS3, it has increased our research capabilities by leaps and bounds.”
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/01/foldinghome-recognized-by-guinness-world-records/

Sho Nuff

Banned
My PS3 gets no love ever. Time to put this beast to some actual good use.

edit: I just realized the foldathon isn't gonna do jack shit unless the PS3 can fold a complete work unit in 8 hours ("overnight"). Has anyone got any concrete times for the amount of time it takes a PS3 to do one complete work unit?

spwolf

Sho Nuff said:
My PS3 gets no love ever. Time to put this beast to some actual good use.

edit: I just realized the foldathon isn't gonna do jack shit unless the PS3 can fold a complete work unit in 8 hours ("overnight"). Has anyone got any concrete times for the amount of time it takes a PS3 to do one complete work unit?

probably few minutes or so...

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
careksims said:
8 hours? Geeze I can leave it on for that long as long there's some fans running.

I have left it on for longer. Also there was a recent hacking contest where the left the PS3 running linux for months (they claimed it Unbreakable ). I wouldnt worry too much.

disappeared said:
Sweet christ.
well its true......your average j6p aint gonna care about folding proteins or whatever...they just wanna download games to play on the playstation3....its a good PR move for sony, but it really doesnt benefit gamers too much

Sho Nuff said:
Really? For comparison, my Pentium 4 2ghz takes about 2 days per work unit.
Apparently the Cell shits all over most home PCs for this kind of work. There was a link to a graph in the PS3 Folding @home thread that showed how much work the couple hundred PS3s that were testing this internally did VS what work was being done with the other platforms and the performance was pretty impressive.

frAntic_Frog said:
well its true......your average j6p aint gonna care about folding proteins or whatever...they just wanna download games to play on the playstation3....its a good PR move for sony, but it really doesnt benefit gamers too much
Your not making sense. Are you trying to say that the average Japanese gamer won't care about contributing because they'd rather leave their PS3 off when their not playing instead of helping out, even if a little?

What world did you grow up in? I guess it's such a bad idea to use that extra time.
-----------------------

And can someone explain to me why every thread these days needs to be derailed into a "not enough", "viral", "doing for profit"?
-------------------

This is a neat idea. I wish I had a PS3 to contribute. Gotta wait a bit longer lol, oh well my P4 will do the Gaf folding team one.:D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Oh, and this is not about Cancer, rather protein related issues like Alzheimer's.
Regardless, the results can be used in research in many applications, and the data is available to all.

Ploid 3.0

I really need to learn how to use linux, and i'm glad it won't take 8 hours to do one fold. I kinda thought of backing out when I read that guy say that in this thread.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Hmm we should do PC to PS3 comparison charts. Hopefully it's really well optimized for the PS3.

I really need to learn how to use linux, and i'm glad it won't take 8 hours to do one fold. I kinda thought of backing out when I read that guy say that in this thread.

Why do people keep saying Linux???? Nothing to do with LINUX!!!! Launches straight from the XBM...

clav

You guys can help even more by putting this on your PCs.

I have had Folding@Home running since 2004 on both of my desktop PCs at home.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
For those who can already access it, does it have a place to input a team number?

frAntic_Frog said:

Because video game players are far more important than cancer patients.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
This advance utilizes the new Cell processor in Sony’s PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) to achieve performance previously only possible on supercomputers. With this new technology (as well as new advances with GPUs), we will likely be able to attain performance on the 100 gigaflop scale per computer. With about 10,000 such machines, we would be able to achieve performance on the petaflop scale. With software from Sony, the PlayStation 3 will now be able to contribute to the Folding@Home project, pushing Folding@Home a major step forward.

Should be about 30-50x faster on the PS3 than most people's computers. 10,000 and we reach the petaflop scale. Pretty amazing. Spread the word.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
frAntic_Frog said:

BTW this Sunday Night Foldathon has nothing to do with Sony. It's actually the PS3 community getting together and being a force in the project.

Suikoguy

g35twinturbo said:
So how do I join? Do i just use that number somewhere?

Well, I'm in the US so I can't use the PS3 version. This is from my experience with the PC version.. perhaps it's impossible to input a team number on the PS3?

Edit: I thought for a bit that people saying "I'm in" were people in europe that already had the new firmware... Sorry for the confusion.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've been folding with my PC for almost 2 months now, I think. I'll join Sunday night with my PS3 as well, I suppose. Any problems running both at once?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Suikoguy said:
Well, I'm in the US so I can't use the PS3 version. This is from my experience with the PC version.. perhaps it's impossible to input a team number on the PS3?

hmmm I'm from the US also, well I will see what I can do tomorrow when its released.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Suikoguy said:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm confused.

Big-E

I will do this Sunday for sure. I got a paper to write so the proteins will be unfolding while my paper is taking shape.

One thing i REALLY like about Home is how we can all walk around in that virtual world in a 3D enviroment..i think thats really cool, i cant wait to mess around with this..

Actually this could lead to alot of cool things

Top Bottom