• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Redeems Themselves.

Tsubaki

Sangokushi Taisen DS

box.jpg

After a string of bad to ok games, finally the Sega I used to love is coming back. Based on the arcade hit in Japan, Sangokushi Taisen DS is more or less a port of version 2.0

The arcade game was unique in that it utilizes real cards on a flat surface as a method of controlling units in the game. With the DS version, you mimic that control by moving cards around the touchscreen with a stylus.

What is it?

Sangokushi Taisen DS is a real time strategy game using cards as the interface. Imagine a vertical field with your base on one side, and your opponent on the other. There's no alternate bases. No resources to collect. Simply a battle for superiority.

You'll be sending in troops across the field to attack the enemy base. Whittle their defenses down to nothing, and victory is yours. But of course, they're trying to do the same to you. Skirmishes will occur as your armies cross paths. You'll be blocked by terrain and fortified walls.

And get this. It's a Nintendo Wi-Fi game.

game1.jpg
game2.jpg
game3.jpg

Strategy?

Different unit types have different strengths and weaknesses. In typical strategy fashion, rock-paper-scissors plays a big role. Calvary will slaughter archers. Spearmen will take down calvary with ease. And archers will mow down spearmen. Other units are more neutral. Each of the unit types have their own movement speed as well.

But each unit is managed by a general with his/her own attributes. Some are better at physical combat, and other weaker generals can cast some incredible spells. A magic bar will fill up with time, so take advantage of it. Generals even have special abilities that give bonuses to certain stats.

Unlike most RTSes, even if your units die, they will respawn after a certain amount of time. So your goal isn't necessarily to destroy your opponent's units, although it could be a part of your strategy. Your goal is to take down their base.

game4.jpg
game5.jpg
game6.jpg

Cards?

The cards are used more as an interface than anything else. Unlike most card games, there isn't really a random factor. The cards you choose to be in your deck are the units available to you for the battle. But there's a catch... you can have anywhere from 3 units in your army to 8 different ones. Each card has a cost from 1-3 orbs. Your army can only be comprised of a maximum of 8 orbs. Generally the higher the cost, the more powerful the unit. So you build your army/deck however you choose, and can store up to 8 different ones.

The cards are also used for movement. They are not cast, but simply placed on the map before the battle begins. When the game starts, you slide the cards across the touchscreen to tell the units where to go. This functions just like a mouse does on a computer RTS. The cards do the most damage where they're facing, so you can even rotate the cards to have it face a particular direction even when moving. Your card placement shows the endpoint of where you want your unit to move, so if you encounter an enemy along the way, your unit will fight, but will continue to press on toward that endpoint. The fighting is mostly automatic, as you play more of a guiding role.

But occasionally, if you collide with the opposite army directly, you'll encounter a "Single Challenge" where you tap the screen to a certain timing to determine the outcome.

When you finish a battle, whether win or lose, you will gain an additional card. And just like CCGs, there are commons, uncommons, rares and very rares. They also include an exclusive real card with the game that can be used with the arcade.

art1.jpg
art2.jpg
art3.jpg
art4.jpg

Impressions?

It's fun. I like that it's a simple, no-nonsense 1v1 game. Just take down your opponent. But it also has depth. You can develop strategies with your unit/deck choice. Utilize terrain on the battleground. Cast spells at opportune moments to turn the tide in your favor. Flank your opponent on one side or keep their army separated. It's all up to you. And best of all, a game is not a 2 hr long investment like some computer RTS fights. It's arcadey, so you can finish a match in about 10 minutes.

I also got a chance to try the wifi mode and got promptly beat down by a Japanese player with a much better deck and even more better grasp of all the strategies available. Ouch. But just like other WiFi games, you can set up friend codes/lists, or if you have friends in the area, you can do WLAN play. Not sure if you need two cartridges tho... will report back later.

Sangokushi Taisen DS is exactly what the DS needs - a strong, unique game with great use of DS features and addictive competitive play. Don't overlook it.

Ichirou

Banned
Tsu and I saw this game when we were at the Sega GIGO in Ikebukuro. There's a Gundam game that uses cards as well, I think...

I came in here to post "so they're shutting down in the interest of not ruining another one of my favorite franchises?" but it turns out to be something niche so that'd be totally inappropriate. Laaaaaaaaame.

P.S. But seriously, I still can't wrap my head around the idea of using cards in any non-card genre. It just doesn't work for me. I liked Pokemon Card Battle for the GBC, but that was basically just the actual card game so I don't even know if it counts.

Aristotlekh said:
I came in here to post "so they're shutting down in the interest of not ruining another one of my favorite franchises?" but it turns out to be something niche so that'd be totally inappropriate. Laaaaaaaaame.

Jeez Aristotle, it's Sega, not Plato. Drop the bitter hate already!

Tsubaki

Aristotlekh said:

Considering that it totally took the arcade world by storm, reinforced (re-established?) Sega as Japan's #1 Arcade powerhouse, and there's tons of people playing/watching it, I'm not so sure it's niche.

Tsubaki said:
Considering that it totally took the arcade world by storm, reinforced (re-established?) Sega as Japan's #1 Arcade powerhouse, and there's tons of people playing/watching it, I'm not so sure it's niche.

USA = only country in the world, duh

(But yeah, it still looks pretty niche for a US audience. People aren't really eating up card games over here, especially with franchises they haven't heard of.)

Tsubaki

Smiles and Cries said:
are these cards in game, or sold in sets like old pokemon cards?

Er... if you play the arcade version, you can buy a starter pack with real cards. And then when you play the arcade, you get real cards after your battle.

On the DS version, everything is in game. You can't put real cards on top of the touch screen... it's not even big enough for one. But it does come with one real card that you can use with the arcade version.

ethelred

AVclub said:
does anybody else hear "Sega redeems themselves" and not think of a DS card trading game?

Did anyone else skim Tsubaki's post to such an inadequate degree that they somehow got the impression that he was talking about a nonexistent card trading game?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
ethelred said:
Did anyone else skim Tsubaki's post to such an inadequate degree that they somehow got the impression that he was talking about a nonexistent card trading game?

I thoroughly read the OP and the game sounds neat, but there is something about card games that turns me off. And I was just wondering if anyone else had this affliction. See, I really want to like card based battle systems, but I've never found one that wooed me. Maybe this one will *shrug*

KTallguy

Banned
Kodiak said:
does anybody else hear "card game" and immediately lose interest?

This game is definitely not a traditional card game.

The arcade game is quite genius, because moving cards around the field to control your army is just really intuitive and smart, and you can position cards in certain formations to perform pincer attacks and flanking.

The DS controls are probably not as good, but hell, it's the only platform really possible for it.

Vashu

I've seen this game while I was in Japan, and the popularity amazed me. Not only that, but I can confirm that there is in fact a similar type of game using Gundam, Ichirou. Every (Sega) Arcade I went in to, there were people sitting there and playing this game, with large stacks of cards close to them. This is a pretty amazing game, and it's a shame it's not released in the west yet.

By having said that, the chances of this arcade game, or the DS game, every being released over here (in either Europe or the US) are pretty much non-existant I'm afraid. It's probably too niche, which is a damn shame. Nice post Tsubaki, and you've pretty much given me another reason to pick up on my Japanese language study.

bluemax

Banned
Kodiak said:

Me. While I am sure that games based off card games or using cards or whatever can be fun I have no interest in anything card related (Although I did just buy Phantom Dust).

The card based battle mechanics are what kept me from buying Baten Kaitos. Cards kept me from getting into Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories as well.

Tailzo

Sounds interesting, but I guess importing the DS game in Japanese isn't an option to non-japanese speaking people like me.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
bluemax said:
Me. While I am sure that games based off card games or using cards or whatever can be fun I have no interest in anything card related (Although I did just buy Phantom Dust).

The card based battle mechanics are what kept me from buying Baten Kaitos. Cards kept me from getting into Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories as well.

I like them, but only "virtually". Try Culdcept on PS2 or 360, it's great. Baten Kaitos and KH are pretty boring.

I wish this game would come here :(

KiNeSiS

Banned
Total Dissapointment I thought I Was Gonna See A New Comix Zone!
Was about to buy genesis collection for psp just to get that game today but it was 30 and the other games stunk but if it has golden axe 1-3 then I'm sold on it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hmm I still think the battles look muddy, but I want to see it in motion. If it's any good I might be optimistic about importing it. It's an arcade game, so is probably less text heavy and more pick up and play than other RTS's and I could possibly find translations for cards online.

Srider

Banned
I've actually been playing this game pretty seriously non stop lately.

The only complaint I have is the tiny viewing screen of the battle field. You really can't get the same sense of visual control since you have to manually zoom around the map. I also wish the card data are better represented somehow, because in order to make it work on the DS tiny screens, they had to shuffle around the data that's displayed on the screen.

Anyways, highly recommended if you can understand Japanese. A fast paced, competitive strategy vs game that's much much more in depth than it seems.

This is definitely not JUST a CARD GAME. The cards actually just represent the type of units you have and their power ratings. There is no turns or anything like magic the gathering. The cards are simply a physical commodity that represents the units available that you can trade with people and earn through playing the game.

Vashu

Srider
(Today, 12:57 PM)

This is definitely not JUST a CARD GAME. The cards actually just represent the type of units you have and their power ratings. There is no turns or anything like magic the gathering.

mentalfloss
(Today, 02:33 PM)

Isn't there already a game like this called Magic: The Gathering?

I sometimes wonder.... Is it that hard to read?

AdmiralViscen said:
It's going to take way more than one game for them to redeem themselves.

It's gonna take at least a new console.

Seriously though, a Saturn collection on PSP including the Panzer Dragoon and Shining Force/Holy ark games would work for me :).

Tailzo

the thoroughbred said:
What was so bad about the Sonic game on the PS3. It looked totally new and exciting from what I saw.

Mostly loading times in the towns from what I've heard. In the demo, the controls were a little bit over-sensitive, but I felt I could get used to it, and it was actually fun to run through the level. I didn't have any major problem with the camera either, but I never played in any of the town levels, as I've only tried the demo. That and maybe the Sahdow / Silver levels were crappy. Everyone says the game is awful, so I haven't thought about buying the full version.

For Sega to redeem themselves? Release a new console Sonic game in 2d, one that is as great as Sonic 1 / 2 / 3 & Knuckles were. And release Shenmue 3. That would make me belive the old Sega is back.

jiji said:
SOMEbody didn't post the card with Tsukasa Jun's art! Time to fix this!

ss_0621.jpg

Tsukasa Jun rules. Only reason I actually played that AirForce Delta game for the PS2 as he did the art.

Oh and Sonic PS360 actually had some good moments. But once you factor together the load times, the awful "final stage/boss" the repetition, and the sloppy game design, you have one of the worst games of 2006. The soundtrack is awesome though, probably the main thing that kept me going.

Razorwind

I am currently playing this....having tons of fun with it. I have poured my monies into the arcade machine before, so i know what it is like.

A rough comparison is that the DS version plays EXACTLY like the arcade imo. Cards can be easily dragged , flipped, or even grouped. The only bad thing is u really have to squint to see the actual units in the battle. And most of the times, u have to remember which card is what unit. I got a lot of ultra rare cards that i could not have got with my measly income, and having a great fun with it.

Note: I have to say this again, the DS controls are just as good. (Of course you dont get the feeling of the card in your hand, tearing the foils etc, but hey, u save USD$2.00 everytime u get a card in DS, rather than in arcade.)

Tsubaki

Kodiak said:

Well I personally love card games when done correctly, like Culdcept, and even Rockman EXE/MMBN series. The ability to customize your deck to suit your own strategy + luck element makes every game unique. Then again, I grew up with MtG.

But I didn't know what Sangokushi Taisen DS was like until I got it, and it's not like a card game at all. I specifically wrote my initial post to clarify that.

Tailzo said:
Sounds interesting, but I guess importing the DS game in Japanese isn't an option to non-japanese speaking people like me.

I generally don't understand this mentality. I would say that the majority of games, even text-heavy ones, are highly playable even if you don't know the language. The learning curve is higher, sure, and most people may not want to put in the effort.

But as an example, when I first played Sakura Taisen, my Japanese knowledge was almost non-existent. I couldn't read the battle menu options, but you try things out and associate what you see happen with menu positions or even Japanese characters. You still may not be able to actually read the command, but you know what it does. It quickly becomes second nature just as any other game does.

I'm not saying that Sangokushi Taisen DS is necessarily easy to play for someone who doesn't know Japanese. It mostly is: unit types have pictoral icons, strength/intelligence stats are in big western numbers, army groups are color coded, etc... spells/effects will present more of a challenge. But I am talking about that huge mental block to importing Japanese games in general.

mackmoney

How import unfriendly is this really? I am interested in giving this a shot but not if I will have to wade through pages of walk-through translations or spend a considerable amount of time trying to make mental associations by trial and error.

johnl

CurseoftheGods said:
I thought Sega redeemed itself with Virtua Fighter 5?
And then came another ridiculous Sonic game...

Aristotlekh said:
P.S. But seriously, I still can't wrap my head around the idea of using cards in any non-card genre. It just doesn't work for me. I liked Pokemon Card Battle for the GBC, but that was basically just the actual card game so I don't even know if it counts.
You're obviously not Japanese, it's as simple as that.

Top Bottom