• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

800,000 PS3 units sold in Europe

UK PS3 = £425
Current exchange rate is around $2US - £1GBP

UK PS3 is now around $850US and we still probably buy more of them than the US per capita!!

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
RubberJohnny said:
210,000 of those at least were from the UK.
So using percentages and advanced maths I can guess that it sold 65,000 units last week in europe (from the 17,000 uk figure).

Haunted

Steroyd said:
What the heck is Spiderman 3 got to do with this.

Can'ts read German.
Stringer confirmed the news (800.000 units sold in Europe so far) at the world premiere of Spider-man 3 in Japan.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I think it may be signs of a minor market shift, with europe moving more towards sony and japan moving more towards nintendo.

But I think we all know the important profit thing is software, although it appears sony isn't actually losing any money with people buying the weaker european ps3 for 850 US Dollar. Just think of if THATS what the PS3 had cost here. Good god.

Haunted

fortified_concept said:
Bububububu PS3 stopped selling in Europe after the rich people bought the first 600,000 units. This news must be incorrect.
Looks like there are more rich people in Europe than everybody thought. :p

mabuza

Banned
QVT said:
I think it may be signs of a minor market shift, with europe moving more towards sony and japan moving more towards nintendo.

But I think we all know the important profit thing is software, although it appears sony isn't actually losing any money with people buying the weaker european ps3 for 850 US Dollar. Just think of if THATS what the PS3 had cost here. Good god.
noithing is decided now, the wii is still insanely well and might keep selling or not that well in the future, but no one knows how things will pan out

Haunted

Battersea Power Station said:
You know when liberals complain about life in America and conservatives brag about how quality of life here is higher than anywhere else in the world?
life quality =! disposable income.
who am I kidding, it's exactly like that.
:lol

StevieP

Banned
QVT said:
I think it may be signs of a minor market shift, with europe moving more towards nintendo (with a bit going to Sony) and japan moving more towards nintendo.

Lest we forget, the 25k-17k just a week ago...

Hey, don't call a downward trend until it's at least a month in the making!

Wollan

I read in the OT forum that Spider Man 3 is the most expensive movie ever which is pretty crazy (~300m$). Titanic cost around 200m$. It's supposedly the best movie in the trilogy according to some early reviews which was a bit of a surprise after the crappy trailer imho.

Busty

Banned
Haunted One said:
wait, what? Spider-man3's world premiere was in Japan? :p

Yup. Both Spiderman 1 & 2 were masive hits in Japan. Stringer made a speech before the premiere to talk about his vision for Sony...

Evidently the first time that such a big film has had a free standing premiere in Japan.

... FYI, Sony Pictures weren't very happy about it.

Really? 300M? I have this bad feeling it's going to flop ever since I saw the first pictures/trailer. I LOVED the first Spiderman, but it kind looks played out now and Venom is just terribly designed played by the worst actor possible :/

chuchu.jpg

"what are my spinning options?"

Steroyd said:
What the heck is Spiderman 3 got to do with this.

Can'ts read German.
You should be glad. Focus' writing is so bad, it's unbelievable.

As Haunted has pointed out he dropped the numbers at the premiere of Spiderman 3 in Japan.

Luckyman said:
shipped lol amirite
Now that be an absolutely novel discussion :lol .

Not surprising to see these numbers. 600k for the first week and 200k for the next three weeks. Fits the UK sales quite good imo (165k - 25k - 17k - ??k).

Steroyd

Haunted One said:
Stringer confirmed the news (800.000 units sold in Europe so far) at the world premiere of Spider-man 3 in Japan.

Why the **** does Japan get the world premiere of Spiderman 3.

I'm used to it with games taking so long but movies to. Screw em' >_<

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Steroyd said:
Why the **** does Japan get the world premiere of Spiderman 3.

I'm used to it with games taking so long but movies to. Screw em' >_<

Piracy. They're showing it in Asia first so people wont be buying pirate cam dvds of our version. Its pretty stupid really, unless the movie doesn't suck. The hardcore group of comic fans in the US are probably just as likely to pirate it.

I don't get how people can even stand watching movies like that, a shaky cam on your computer screen. Bad enough to have to watch a Blu-Ray on a 42 inch tv.

Haunted

fortified_concept said:
I'm still in the "800,000 PS3 units sold in Europe" topic, right?
dude, Spiderman 3 debuted in Japan. World premiere. I still can't believe it.

Busty said:
Yup. Both Spiderman 1 & 2 were masive hits in Japan. Stringer made a speech before the premiere to talk about his vision for Sony...

Evidently the first time that such a big film has had a free standing premiere in Japan.

... FYI, Sony Pictures weren't very happy about it.
interesting. Thanks.

stalker

We told you price was not an issue for launch in Europe, but some of you wouldn't listen ;-)
We are not rich, we are just used to paying 500€ for launch period Sony consoles and 59€ for games.
Price will be an issue to get the mass market to buy the PS3, but this really depends on how much time does Sony need to go under 300€.
Anyway, Europe is not shifting towards Sony as I read earlier in this thread. If anything, Europe is changing from Sony total domination to Sony domination with Nintendo reaching some interest and relevance it has not had since the early 90s (which actually end up in total ignorance in the last 5 years. Except GBA for kids, Nintendo simply did not exist for mass market in those years). I do not see MS moving forward their position in Europe. They are where they were.

Haunted One said:
dude, Spiderman 3 debuted in Japan. World premiere. I still can't believe it.

I'm gonna say it: I don't even care about Spiderman. I'm way more excited about Sunshine and 28 Weeks After than Spiderman 3.
in before someone starts shooting me ~MMM whachyaa sayyyy~

stalker said:
We told you price was not an issue for launch in Europe, but some of you wouldn't listen ;-)
We are not rich, we are just used to paying 500€ for launch period Sony consoles and 59€ for games.
Price will be an issue to get the mass market to buy the PS3, but this really depends on how much time does Sony need to go under 300€.
Anyway, Europe is not shifting towards Sony as I read earlier in this thread. If anything, Europe is changing from Sony total domination to Sony domination with Nintendo reaching some interest and relevance it has not had since the early 90s (which actually end up in total ignorance in the last 5 years. Except GBA for kids, Nintendo simply did not exist for mass market in those years). I do not see MS moving forward their position in Europe. They are where they were.
Umm...The Wii outsold Sony in its weakest market last week. And it actually sold out. Again.

fortified concept said:
I'm gonna say it: I don't even care about Spiderman. I'm way more excited about Sunshine and 28 Weeks After than Spiderman 3. in before someone starts shooting me ~MMM whachyaa sayyyy~

Don't worry bud, I'm with you, along with the Obama thing. Sunshine was the da bomb.

Top Bottom