• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon D/P: A million sold in 5 days

link

One of the video game industry’s most celebrated franchises is officially hotter than ever. Within just five days of availability, more than 1 million copies of Pokémon® Diamond and Pokémon Pearl for the portable Nintendo DS™ have sold in the United States since Sunday’s launch; a faster rate than any previous Pokémon games since the franchise’s U.S. introduction, almost a decade ago. To date, more than 155 million copies of Pokémon games have sold worldwide.

Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl are poised to become two of the top-selling games of 2007 in the United States. More than one half million people pre-ordered the games before launch. Additionally, thousands of people attended the kickoff launch event in New York, and demand for the games continues to be off the charts. These latest versions of Pokémon games were introduced in Japan on Sept. 28, 2006, and have already been purchased by more than 5 million video gamers there.

The two games include a number of features that make them particularly attractive to gamers, including:

* More than 100 new Pokémon.
* A 3-D look that makes Pokémon jump off the screen.
* Worldwide wireless battling and trading using Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.
* Voice chat functions that let players talk wirelessly with their friends.

Later this year, these two titles will also help expand the Pokémon universe for the first time to Wii™, Nintendo’s new home video game system. Diamond and Pearl owners will be able to use their DS hardware units as controllers for Pokémon Battle Revolution (launching June 25), the first Pokémon game available for Wii. Players also will be able to export characters to the Wii game.

Avrum

A million strong...

...and growing!

Come now, I'm not the only one who grew up with Flinstone Vitamin commercials playing on TV eh? :)

Square2005 said:
Wait but Pokemon Gold/Silver did 1.4m in their first week back in 2000; this is not a record!

1M in 5 days = 200k per day = 1.4M in 7 days.

How big was GBC's userbase at the time? DS has been lagging in the US until 8-10 months ago.

Mar

pokemon.gif

Amazing sales. As if DS needed any help to sell more units. My god, this will be the biggest selling system in history at this rate.

HomShaBom said:
Ruby/Sapphire are an embarrassment to Pokemon.

I agree

Very glad it is back on form

Now we just need a remake of the greatest Pokemon generation to be made and i will be happy.

or

Let the Middle game enable you to revisit every Region.

Cum fiesta!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Out of curiosity, but what made Ruby/Sappire so poor and Gold/SIlver so superior?

:Me only played through FireRed:

Meier

Nazgul_Hunter said:
a faster rate than any previous Pokémon games since the franchise’s U.S. introduction, almost a decade ago.

For those who missed it..

p.s. I liked RuSa a lot. Oh well.

Haunted

Mar_ said:
classic.

Nobody should be surprised by these amazing numbers though. A new main-franchise pokemon game - we all knew it would sell like ****ing hotcakes. DS + Pokemon = teh win.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mar_ said:
Amazing sales. As if DS needed any help to sell more units. My god, this will be the biggest selling system in history at this rate.
And to think still have the price drop card...

u_neek

I'm thinking of buying one of the games since I've never really played a Pokemon title before. How big is the focus on story and characters? Is there even an actual overall story?

Filter

u_neek said:
I'm thinking of buying one of the games since I've never really played a Pokemon title before. How big is the focus on story and characters? Is there even an actual overall story?

yes, it is a tender love story.

u_neek said:

Story is meaningless. There's a bad group of guys you battle but for the most part you're battling other trainers, leveling up and earning badges,

Parl

Square2005 said:
Wait but Pokemon Gold/Silver did 1.4m in their first week back in 2000; this is not a record!

Install base is much different. I think that this game will have legs better than G/S compared to each game's respective launch week.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The story is a complex political drama.

You start off the game as a young soldier for your town, Twinleaf, which is actually an evil imperial empire. You don't yet know it though. Eventually you wander into the next town, Sandgem, where you meet Dr. Pokemanz, who is in reality a resistance leader but passes off his spare time by getting young kiddos to do important research for him. You do some small battling in the forests when you look up and see giant cruise ships heading towards Sandgem. With a giant blast, Sandgem is eradicated and your character stands in the forest screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" as all of its residents are obliterated.

Your character wonders to himself if it is all really worth it. Just then your Turtwig egg hatches-- a symbol of new life, of new hope, and of new opportunity.

Pokemon is a story of the international intrigue that occurs as you fight back against the evil empire you once called home, engage in intellectual debate with other trainers-- who are fellow resistance members, and collect "badges," symbols of fortitude that stand as proof of worth to the game's Big Sky Fairy existential god, from other members along the Underground Railroad. You can press A using the Explorer Kit to head to the underground railroad at any time.

At the end of the game, you discover your friend, who is so wisely named rival, has been orchestrating the entire operation. You battle him atop a skyscraper in Eterna City surrounded by a ring of fire.

It's all very complicated.

Drakken

I haven't really played a main Pokemon game since Red. I loved that game.

As for this news, it's not surprising.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

You start off the game as a young soldier for your town, Twinleaf, which is actually an evil imperial empire. You don't yet know it though. Eventually you wander into the next town, Sandgem, where you meet Dr. Pokemanz, who is in reality a resistance leader but passes off his spare time by getting young kiddos to do important research for him. You do some small battling in the forests when you look up and see giant cruise ships heading towards Sandgem. With a giant blast, Sandgem is eradicated and your character stands in the forest screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" as all of its residents are obliterated.

Your character wonders to himself if it is all really worth it. Just then your Turtwig egg hatches-- a symbol of new life, of new hope, and of new opportunity.

Pokemon is a story of the international intrigue that occurs as you fight back against the evil empire you once called home, engage in intellectual debate with other trainers-- who are fellow resistance members, and collect "badges," symbols of fortitude that stand as proof of worth to the game's Big Sky Fairy existential god, from other members along the Underground Railroad. You can press A using the Explorer Kit to head to the underground railroad at any time.

At the end of the game, you discover your friend, who is so wisely named rival, has been orchestrating the entire operation. You battle him atop a skyscraper in Eterna City surrounded by a ring of fire.

it really puts Matsuno to shame.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I can't wait for this to come to Europe. I could import it for a couple of pounds less than I could buy it here, bit I want to be able to trade/sell it eventually and despite the lack of region coding in handhelds, shops won't take US copies.

Anyway, what's the red/blue/yellow total? Any chance the DS games could move past them eventually?

Y2Kevbug11 said:

:lol Kev, don't ever change.

Thoren

Banned
Amazing how this game sells. I can't even get into it, it feels like a game I played years ago.

I did buy it though.. d'oh.

Bloodwake

This gen, there needs to be a Gold/Silver/Crystal gen remake for the DS, similar to the FireRed/LeafGreen remakes (which I need to go back and purchase)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd give D/P about a 0.00000001% chance of topping R/B or even G/S, but it should pass Ruby/Saph.

Do you have the totals?

I know R/B/Y sold a massive amount, but I didn't realise G/S/C sold so much that there's next to no chance the DS games could pass it either.

Top Bottom