• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 vs. 30 fps video comparisons...?

Chrono

Banned
Are there any direct comparisons between the two frame rates? I'm talking about the same game but in two different frame rates - like maybe a video encoded at 30 and another at 60. Or a PC game with different settings to achieve 30 and then 60.

You can do it in quake 3 or quake 2 (and I think unreal tournament and Half-life 2) by capping the framerate. There is also a NG xbox- PS3 comparison video floating around that has the xbox version encoded at 30fps, and the PS3 version encoded at 60fps. Do you have a computer fast enough to play 720p videos at 60fps?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm about to start encoding a low resolution (640x360) 60 fps version of the Virtua Tennis 3 video I've just put online. I guess it could do a good comparison.

JRPereira

There are a couple of configurable demos out there that allow you to test it for yourself. There used to be one specifically for 3dfx cards a long while back that provided a great example in a mildly detailed room with lots of things that were very noticeably affected by the framerate change.

Ranger X

Blimblim said:
I'm about to start encoding a low resolution (640x360) 60 fps version of the Virtua Tennis 3 video I've just put online. I guess it could do a good comparison.

Cool. I wasn't sure Virtua Tennis was 60 fps or not. Hard to tell only by the characters and ball. Will we really see a definite difference?

JRPereira

Ranger X said:
Will we really see a definite difference?

Things with even a moderate amount of motion seem blurry and harder to visually track at lower fps. Depending on your eyes and whether or not you're willing to accept that the human eye isn't locked to certain framerate, you may notice a large clarity increase even as you go past 60fps.

Ranger X

JRPereira said:
Things with even a moderate amount of motion seem blurry and harder to visually track at lower fps. Depending on your eyes and whether or not you're willing to accept that the human eye isn't locked to certain framerate, you may notice a large clarity increase even as you go past 60fps.

Yes but i think that 60fps will be a total conform point for like 99% of people. It already been tested by many that going over 60fps is basically useless. There's even a framerate that shouldn't be all that far from 60fps where we can't even have the reaction time to benifit the framerate i'm sure.
But 60fps over 30fps is normally a huge difference.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ranger X said:
Cool. I wasn't sure Virtua Tennis was 60 fps or not. Hard to tell only by the characters and ball. Will we really see a definite difference?
The difference is quite noticeable.

M3d10n

http://games.kikizo.com/

Haven't been there for years, but they used to put 60fps WMV videos online for 60fps games. Check their Outrun 2 and Virtua Fighter 5 videos. I think they also have a 60fps Super Mario Galaxy video.

But the main advantage of 60fps is that, in consoles, it matches the TV refresh rate. With 30fps the TV will blink the same image twice. So, remember to lower your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz for maximum effect when watching 60fps videos.

Odysseus

Banned
ffffframerates!

i'm not saying i can't tell the difference, it's just that i have never noticed or have never bothered to find out what games ran at which framerates in order to know if one set appeared any more or less smooth than the other.

so maybe a comparison video would actually open my eyes a bit. or not, who knows.

Ranger X

Tain said:
I thought the opposite of this was true, actually, assuming the display can handle it.

Well, more fps is better but it's because going over 60fps will only benifit an extremely tin percentage of people with like perfect vision and incredible reaction time. 60fps is simply the comfort point for pretty much anybody so bothering pulling out more fps is a bit useless. Just image that's there already people not realising the difference between 30 and 60... (wich is something i find hard to believe but if they say so...)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Am I the only one here who actually enjoys both 30fps and 60fps? I mean, both have their own feel that I like, so that one or the other is never a dealbreaker for me.

Pimpbaa

Tain said:
Pretty much. You'll either get skipping or screen tearing if a game isn't at 30 or 60.

Not if you use triple buffering. There are games on consoles that have variable framerates (the GTA series comes to mind).

camineet said:
24fps vs 60fps

http://www.kimpix.net/bin/60vs24.avi right-click, save. requires XviD codec.

I think they do 30fps vs 60fps also.

That's a nice video and all, but when they did the split screen I lost track of which was which and couldn't tell the difference.

Similarly, I couldn't tell the difference between Blim's videos when I ran them side by side, but noticed pretty fast watching them alone.

I guess this means I don't really care about framerate, which makes sense as I got used to playing most my pc games on terribly subpar rigs. 25 fps was a wetdream.

If any one has access to the original R4 they included a bonus disc running the original Ridge Racer at 2 options. One at 60 and one at 30. There was a major difference.

Run around in Animal Crossing DS (30 fps) then run around in Animal Crossing GCN (60 fps)

Easily my biggest problem with Wild World

Pimpbaa said:
Not if you use triple buffering. There are games on consoles that have variable framerates (the GTA series comes to mind).

Except you get control delay when using triple buffering since the frames are, as the technology implies, being buffered before being displayed. And control delay is my worst enemy.

luoapp said:
The reason they said movie @ 24fps is acceptable is because of motion blur. Does that mean for this generation, 30 fps will be good enough since motion blur is (almost) in every game?
60 fps is preferrable still, but there are some games that run at 30 with motion blur that look rather spiffy. dead rising and lost planet are the best examples off the top of my head. not as good as proper 60fps, or indeed, 60 fps with motion blur, but still nothing you'd sniff at.

momolicious said:
i think only pc gamers know the difference between 30 and 60fps, console gamers will find out soon.. if they havent already

I'd say most people can tell the difference. Even my mom can. The minority that can't have incorrectly wired eyes/brains.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Play God Of War/II on PS2, then look at the videos of the PSP game. You'll notice it easily.

Pimpbaa

AtomicShroom said:
Except you get control delay when using triple buffering since the frames are, as the technology implies, being buffered before being displayed. And control delay is my worst enemy.

More of an issue with some games than others. Something you wouldn't want to implement in a fighting game.

I hate the argument that movies are fine at 24 fps because of motion blur. Any fast moving pan shot looks instantly choppy. The truth is, a 60 fps movie would look more crisp, but the industry is too entrenched in the old format to change now. Although, a 60 fps movie would be a great case for a next gen disc format as movies would more than double in size, keeping the resolution at 480p.

M3d10n

Tieno said:
Why don't we see like 45fps games? Or 50fps games? Something to do with TV hz?

Yes, it has to do with the TV refresh rate and vertical synchronization. On 60Hz displays, a 60fps game will display a different picture at each update. A 30fps game will always repeat the same frame twice, creating a slight choppiness, specially during camera rotating/scrolling.

By the same logic, you can have 20fps games (by repeating the same frame 3 times) and 15fps games (repeat 4 times), with perfect v-sync. Any other number (like 45fps) will require a non-constant number of repeated frames over time (sometimes 3, sometimes 2, for 45), creating extra choppiness if v-sync is on, or will cause screen tearing if v-sync is off (because the TV will always update at 60Hz, and it might display frames that haven't finished updating).

plagiarize said:
60 fps is preferrable still, but there are some games that run at 30 with motion blur that look rather spiffy. dead rising and lost planet are the best examples off the top of my head. not as good as proper 60fps, or indeed, 60 fps with motion blur, but still nothing you'd sniff at.

That's because the more realistic motion blur featured in 360/PS3 games makes the 30fps material look closer to film, either FMV or CGI, which always featured a similar effect. This kind of blur is sometimes called "temporal antialiasing".

Since movies traditionally ran at 24fps, 30fps games look more "cinematic" than 60fps ones (they look like home videos). But since sport broadcasting is done at 60fps, racing (specially F1) and sport games look more "realistic" at 60fps.

Also, the vast majority of the 2D games during the 8-bit and 16-bit era ran at 60fps, so 2D games look strange when running at lower framerates.

On an interesting note, I wrote a motion blur experiment app years ago, in which the framerate was selectable. At 60fps, it was very hard to notice the blur, since the motion between each frame was very small unless the object was moving real fast.
(unfortunally I lost that app years ago... it'd be an interesting example of 30fps vs. 60fps, with and without blur).

momolicious said:
i think only pc gamers know the difference between 30 and 60fps, console gamers will find out soon.. if they havent already

Oh, but many have. There was this thing called "Dreamcast", which brought 60fps games yo our home TVs. Hmmm, Crazy Taxi.

And before that, there were these things called "Arcades", where the vast majority of 3D games ran at butter-smooth 60fps, ruthlessly reminding us our consoles sucked.

M3d10n said:
Oh, but many have. There was this thing called "Dreamcast", which brought 60fps games yo our home TVs. Hmmm, Crazy Taxi.

And before that, there were these things called "Arcades", where the vast majority of 3D games ran at butter-smooth 60fps, ruthlessly reminding us our consoles sucked.

Let us not forget that almost all the 2D 8-bit and 16-bit era titles also ran at 60fps. It's not like it's new to the TV world.

Also there was F-Zero on N64 as far as 3D 60fps games are concerned.

blackadde

JRPereira said:
There are a couple of configurable demos out there that allow you to test it for yourself. There used to be one specifically for 3dfx cards a long while back that provided a great example in a mildly detailed room with lots of things that were very noticeably affected by the framerate change.

i remember this. the room simply revolved - half the screen was the room @ 30fps and the other half was at 60fps. a real eye-opener if there ever was one.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
60fps is nice, but it's kinda unncessary unless you're dealing with a very fast-paced game. Basically, 60fps adds an extra level of smoothness, which can help in PC shooters because of how fast you can change perspective or in action games like Devil May Cry because it allows you to see the full breadth of the animations. It also helps alot in fast-paced racing games like F-Zero because it makes the game feel much faster because of the smoothness.

60fps is one of the few graphical enhancements that can actually have an effect on gameplay, but it's not very useful for slower games. I don't think anybody really needs 60fps in Tetris or Final Fantasy.

ZealousD said:
60fps is one of the few graphical enhancements that can actually have an effect on gameplay, but it's not very useful for slower games. I don't think anybody really needs 60fps in Tetris or Final Fantasy.
i would say its good to have the framerate at 60 for tetris, though

Top Bottom