• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix: Path Of Neo design doc, confidential info, foolish idiocy - uncovered!

MeowthMan

The full story on Angry Gamer.

Apparently someone who worked on the game put all the documentation on their private website...welllll not so much private, thanks Google!

Some interesting notes, from what we've been able to find from the 450MB of text, images and designy goodness:

* It was originally going to be a game based on Seraph, not Neo.

* You were going to be able to perform rail slides. That could have been cool.

* It was going to hold a decent frame rate and be playable.
Apparently Peter Cheung's work in The Animatrix is not considered to be canon. Funny, I say that about the last half hour of Revolutions. Take a look at some of the notes from the Warner production people - it's pretty obvious the movies they made and the movies they released are different beasts.

lol this is great. Shame the game sucked.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To be fair Peter Chung's Animatrix short was insane.

rkenshin

Still found it funny how they introduced the last boss fight..

I thought it was a decent game worthy of a $10 purchase that is..

glaurung

This makes me a sad panda.

It also reminded me that I never bothered to play any more than to the point where Neo crouches behind the secretary's desk in the lobby and hides from the agents. I somehow did not bother to continue from there because I had already been bored to hell and back.

Juice

SiteSucker.apping it now...

Interesting perspective. Documentation almost a bit too much... who was this for? Custom design, like they had to sell the game to the publisher each iteration over again.

If this was for internal communications or even inter-publisher communique, an enterprise Wiki instance would make a lot more sense.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
" 31. All civilians are white. This should not be extreme. Total homogeneity would raise suspicion within the human mind and therefore question the constructed system. Therefore, there would people of varying races, just weighed heavily toward Caucasian – think middle-American suburbs. Of course, Zionites are extremely multi-cultural (rebels).
1. One exception is in china town where we have Asian civilians. Rebels come in all breeds and sizes. See above notes. "

Wow.

Juice

BocoDragon said:
" 31. All civilians are white. This should not be extreme. Total homogeneity would raise suspicion within the human mind and therefore question the constructed system. Therefore, there would people of varying races, just weighed heavily toward Caucasian – think middle-American suburbs. Of course, Zionites are extremely multi-cultural (rebels).
1. One exception is in china town where we have Asian civilians. Rebels come in all breeds and sizes. See above notes. "

Wow.

Amazing that needed to not only be communicated, but persisted onto the interweb

Emotional States

This is a sample list of possible emotional states.

Abandoned

Abhor

Ablaze

Abominable

Abrasive

Absorbed

Absorbed

Absurd

Abused

Abusive

Accommodating

Acknowledged

Acquiescent

Acrimonious

Admonished

Adoration

Adored

Adventurous

Umm...?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Under what circumstances would a designer need to reach for a list of random emotional adjectives?

The moment a publisher demands it.

I had to do an entire design document for a publisher that looked like a Brady Games guide, as if the game was already done. It took months of work, and the coders and artists had a tough time making head or tail of it. Sometimes Publishers ask you for weird ****.

bluemax

Banned
Oh man this is better than the Chris Taylor design doc template I have. After my final tomorrow I'm so reading through this.

Vashu

bluemax said:
Oh man this is better than the Chris Taylor design doc template I have. After my final tomorrow I'm so reading through this.

Nothing can top the CT design doc, understand? Nothiiing

Mason

I actually like the game. It's the only game I've played all the way through in the past couple of years, if memory serves. Beat it during a rental; it's nothing amazing but for Matrix fans, you really can't go wrong. Much better than Enter the Matrix.

Remember when the Matrix was supposed to unseat Star Wars and was allegedly for smart people who thought it was "deep" and had "meaning"?

That was awesome. :lol

methane47

BocoDragon said:

Wow.

I have NO FRICKIN COMMENTS for this quote...

Count Dookkake said:
Remember when the Matrix was supposed to unseat Star Wars and was allegedly for smart people who thought it was "deep" and had "meaning"?

That was awesome. :lol
i hated those days so much. neo used to be my handle long before the films were even in production. i had to change it because a million other people suddenly had the same handle and it was impossible to hold a conversation in IRC. someone would say 'that's awesome neo!' and about ten people would say 'did you mean me?'. the 'depth' of the films was as i recall 'did you know Neo is an anagram of ONE!?!?' and 'Trinity... that's like the holy trinity and Neo is kind of like jesus!'

when the second one came out, i called the 'lets all be friends' ending the third would have. everyone was still hopeful then. the second asked all these unanswered questions... the answers could be awesome!

but they weren't. they were so far from awesome that i have no guilt in saying i loved the third film, since it vindicated everything i'd said about how the first is a terrible origin story for a super hero (still a good movie in and of itself) and how the answers to the second weren't going to be fulfulling.

bits of the animatrix were awesome. the rise of the machines segments espescially.

the final boss encounter of path of neo was hilarious, but then so was just about everything in path of neo. i'll never forget that first batch of awful awful screenshots they put out for it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If you were playing Unreal Tournament in 1999, every other name was a variant of Neo.

bluemax

Banned
Vashu said:
Nothing can top the CT design doc, understand? Nothiiing

The Chris Taylor doc I have is a good resource for writing your own doc, but its more of a template than what this is. This is a finished design doc so its kind of cool to see, at least for me. Maybe more so in an entertainment way than an educational way.

dark10x said:

The resource I have is something I got in a production class I took 2 years ago. I guess I could upload it when I get home.

Top Bottom