• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie contributes column for Cnet, talks innovation, Breakfast Bars.

http://news.com.com/Nintendo+on+the+latest+technical+divide/2010-1041_3-6180215.html

Great work is being done to narrow the gap between the technical haves and the have-nots across the planet. At MIT, Professor Nicholas Negroponte seeks to equip every child in the developing world with a laptop. In Kenya, the government is supporting assembly of inexpensive PCs as part of university curricula, ultimately designating those computers for distribution throughout the African continent.

At the same time, on the most granular level, I wonder if a similar technical divide exists inside your own home. One person is probably expected to provide solutions when it's time to install the wireless network, redirect the satellite dish, or retrieve a lost document. The have-nots sit and wait.

Several years ago, we noticed this same kind of dichotomy beginning to separate active core consumers from potential consumers in my own industry, video game entertainment. While ardent players reliably responded to ever-advancing technology and complexity, those same attributes consistently chipped off potential new players from the total market, narrowing the consumers into a smaller niche.

For the frustrated, it simply wasn't worth the investment of time or money in the midst of a life ever-busier with work, family and other obligations. The players happily jousting inside the castle walls didn't see the moat outside widening.

For us, this raised two fundamental challenges that I believe now, or someday soon, will confront almost every consumer-facing technology business. First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak?

The snap answer is obvious--"innovate!" It's a popular prescription, but not a simple one to follow. Harvard professor Clayton Christensen outlines one distinct course of action for innovation: Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use.

Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress. Toyota is performing this juggling act right now, touting world-class hybrid technology with the Prius, while simultaneously offering traditional horsepower and towing capacity to new pickup truck buyers.

But technology companies may not have the luxury of expanding product lines to address both audiences. I would suggest that for them, "smaller/cheaper/easier" is a far more likely road to riches, while "more of the same" eventually proves to be a dead-end street. It doesn't mean innovation stops--just that innovation turns to ideas like simple user interface and interactive experience rather than faster system speeds and feeds. The next generation of R&D should balance what's under the hood with what users want to hold in their hands.

A recent McKinsey study looks at this a different way. It claims there may be a middle ground--one reaching new customers and building new revenue streams without abandoning key products or core competencies. It describes "white spaces," or markets that exist (perhaps unrecognized) between typical product categories. They "fuse consumer benefits" by combining "brands, technological breakthroughs or insights" in new ways. A decidedly non-technical example is the repurposing of traditional breakfast cereal into the "breakfast bar." The result? A new, highly profitable category--"on-the-go nutrition."

A couple of years ago, we at Nintendo began to telegraph the nature of our new game console, the Wii, in terms identified by professor Christensen: "smaller, less expensive, easier to use." It is purposely so simple and intuitive that anyone in a household can use it. It also incorporates functions like a photo browser, an Internet browser, and custom news and weather channels, which lead some people to wonder what these elements have to do with video games. In fact, this is a conscious move into "white space"--in this case, that sizable gap between technophiles and technophobes where consumers just want an understandable way to catch up with the times.

These days, any forward-thinking company will consider tools like MySpace. But it may be equally vital to search for potential consumers lurking in the "white spaces."

Interesting application of Nintendo's strategy into the rest of the tech field.

Dilbert

The thread title is inaccurate. Clayton Christensen has written The Innovator's Dilemma and The Innovator's Solution, but Blue Ocean Strategy has a different thesis and is written by different authors.

Tieno

It's interesting but so far it seems to/for me the Wii has swung too much towards the other side.

Avrum

There are times (many times) where Reggie comes off as nothing more than a PR microphone, but then there are times such as this piece here where he makes a lot of sense and I think drilling the point home by making comparisons with other hit products in other industries was a great way to further outline the point.

Evlar

Banned
Reggie's a marketing guy through and through. A very good one though, and someone with a background in introducing hot new products that people want (at Pizza Hut, for instance). Interesting to hear him talk like this, about whole product categories rather than just Wii and DS.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
-jinx- said:
The thread title is inaccurate. Clayton Christensen has written The Innovator's Dilemma and The Innovator's Solution, but Blue Ocean Strategy has a different thesis and is written by different authors.

Yup, thread title change required.

He is so full of himself as he puts the industry right back into the hands of those who abandoned it the last time and caused the market crash.

Tobor

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
He is so full of himself as he puts the industry right back into the hands of those who abandoned it the last time and caused the market crash.

He's giving the industry back to Atari?

Tobor said:
He's giving the industry back to Atari?
I was writing a well thought out and resoned response (which was way too long). This sums up my entire argument is 1/10th the space. Awesome work.

mollipen

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

You don't at all understand why the industry crashed the last time that it did, do you?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Mhm. Can I get a copy of your newsletter?

incorrect.gif

Tobor

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Casuals, dumbass.

Oh, so you mean the casuals who had nothing to do with the industry crashing the last time. Got it.

Nothing to see here folks, He officially has no clue.

Ryu

It also incorporates functions like a photo browser, an Internet browser, and custom news and weather channels, which lead some people to wonder what these elements have to do with video games. In fact, this is a conscious move into "white space"--in this case, that sizable gap between technophiles and technophobes where consumers just want an understandable way to catch up with the times.

An interesting point, but it's my guess the vast majority of technophobes they are trying to reach out to do not have access to this content due to the fact that they don't have access to a wireless access point...

Eteric Rice

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Casuals, dumbass.

Actually there were two big reasons.

1. To many consoles (there were like 8 consoles out at the same time).

2. Inexpensive PCs being advertised as something you can play games on, AND prepair your kids for college with.

3. Flood of shitty games.

It had nothing to do with casuals.

Dumbass. :p

Tobor said:
Oh, so you mean the casuals who had nothing to do with the industry crashing the last time. Got it.

Nothing to see here folks, He officially has no clue.

Casuals bought the 2600 and for a time enjoyed it. They later got bored with gaming and gave it up. Nintendo resurrected the industry and moved it into a direction that most older gamers still enjoy today. You can disagree all you want but there is no denying that lapsed gamers are the casuals who are buying the Wii. Flame all you want to, fanboys. Nintendo simply went back and grabbed those who moved on and got them hooked again.

Muffins is so right. My mother, who now plays animal crossing and nintendogs, single handedly let a small army of consumers to destroy the 80's video game market. Oh wait up, no they didn't. He's talking bollocks.

Eteric Rice

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Casuals bought the 2600 and for a time enjoyed it. They later got bored with gaming and gave it up. Nintendo resurrected the industry and moved it into a direction that most older gamers still enjoy today. You can disagree all you want but there is no denying that lapsed gamers are the casuals who are buying the Wii. Flame all you want to, fanboys.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

theBishop

Banned
In a period where more people than ever are growing up with computers and video games, I have to think this group of "technical have-nots" is shrinking by the day.

As for "what users hold in their hands", there's absolutely no reason this comes at the expense of what's under the hood.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Casuals bought the 2600 and for a time enjoyed it. They later got bored with gaming and gave it up. Nintendo resurrected the industry and moved it into a direction that most older gamers still enjoy today. You can disagree all you want but there is no denying that lapsed gamers are the casuals who are buying the Wii. Flame all you want to, fanboys. Nintendo simply went back and grabbed those who moved on and got them hooked again.

Nintendo didn't move the industry to where it is today. They moved it to where it was in '95 and Sony took it to today, complete with millions more casuals than Nintendo brought in with NES/SNES.

Eteric Rice said:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Just keep repeating that. The level of denial in this thread is funny. If the Atari 2600didn't reach the level of mass market success (which you need the casual market to have) and then subsequently die due to their lack of interest (which is covered by the exact same things you guys list)............:lol

Tobor

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Casuals bought the 2600 and for a time enjoyed it. They later got bored with gaming and gave it up. Nintendo resurrected the industry and moved it into a direction that most older gamers still enjoy today. You can disagree all you want but there is no denying that lapsed gamers are the casuals who are buyin g the Wii.

/sigh

Again, nothing to see here folks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983

Nicktals

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Isn't that what they're doing now? Moving the industry into a new direction that people will enjoy for years to come?

theBishop

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

By all accounts, Wiis are nearly impossible to find in stores.

If you scour messageboards for Wii-spottings and rumors of shipments in order to purchase one, you are not a casual.

Salmonax

They "fuse consumer benefits" by combining "brands, technological breakthroughs or insights" in new ways. A decidedly non-technical example is the repurposing of traditional breakfast cereal into the "breakfast bar." The result? A new, highly profitable category--"on-the-go nutrition."
bennet.gif

Tobor said:

Lets see............massive new market opens up.

Everyone and their grandmother gets into gaming (which means hardcore, casual, etc).

Companies rush to market with new product to meet incredible demand.

Mistakes were made.

Casuals lose interest.

Only the hardcore remain.

Today Nintendo picks up those same people who everyone else gave up on.

We are saying the same things here. You just don't like how I'm saying it or the conclusion I draw from it. Your link even backs up my generalized comments.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Lets see............massive new market opens up.

Everyone and their grandmother gets into gaming (which means hardcore, casual, etc).

Companies rush to market with new product to meet incredible demand.

Mistakes were made.

Casuals lose interest.

Only the hardcore remain.

Today Nintendo picks up those same people who everyone else gave up on.

We are saying the same things here. You just don't like how I'm saying it or the conclusion I draw from it. Your link even backs up my generalized comments.

So the casuals didn't kill the market, the industry did? K thanks for clearing up your ignorance.

RiskyChris said:
So the casuals didn't kill the market, the industry did? K thanks for clearing up your ignorance.

You must have missed the part where people stopped paying money for goods. K, thanks for clearing up your ignorance.

Grok4Spock

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Casuals, dumbass.
Ohhh.... Casuals right... Are these the same casuals who bought the PS/PS2 just to play Madden? So using Jack Thompson logic Sony caused the video game market to crash... 10 years before they even released any type of gaming hardware... :lol... Dumbass!!

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
You must have missed the part where people stopped paying money for goods. K, thanks for clearing up your ignorance.

The industry made mistakes and thus lost customers. I don't see how that's the fault of the consumer.

Either the companies put up or shut up -- kinda like how most markets work?

Top Bottom