• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Summon Night (DS/PS2)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Summon Night DS is revealed in the new Jump and there is some art for a new PS2 game as well. The DS version looks pretty different from the GBA games. Anyone care to translate? :)

Haunted

I've never heard of this game.

Wait, did you say Summon Nights?? Totally underrated GBA game that I loved (I only played Swordcraft Story 2). Had a great 'Tales of' battle system.

Interest +100.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yeah it's another spin-off in the series, I saw the scan posted 2 hours ago but nobody put it up. Hopefully someone will come along and give us details.

callous

If it plays anything like the GBA games, this is excellent news. Those are two of the most addictive games on GBA.

Edit: Looks like it plays nothing like the GBA games, but I'm still excited! :p

Haunted

jj984jj said:
Yeah it's another spin-off in the series, I saw the scan posted 2 hours ago but nobody put it up. Hopefully someone will come along and give us details.
cool. *pages jGAFfers*

callous

Pureauthor said:
Hm. Missed out on the GBA versions, so maybe I'll grab this one.
Get the GBA games while you wait. I assure you you won't regret it. This one looks like it's completely different.

callous said:
Get the GBA games while you wait. I assure you you won't regret it. This one looks like it's completely different.

Would if I could get the cash to spare.

In between saving up for Izuna, Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey, and Ouendan 2? Ow.

Ramune

It's a shame though, because there's a 3rd GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story game that won't get translated. And it's the best of the trilogy from what I hear too! But I'm looking forward to this!

justchris

Ramune said:
It's a shame though, because there's a 3rd GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story game that won't get translated. And it's the best of the trilogy from what I hear too! But I'm looking forward to this!

I don't see why not. The GBA is still selling stupidly well in the US, hopefully we'll get a few more GBA games before it dies out completely.

In reference to this story, I'm really looking forward to more Summon Night. I want English versions of the PS2 games. I know they're very different from the GBA ones, but if they're just as well crafted, they should be fun.

Bleh, can't get excited after spinoff disaster from Atlus. Bring one main entry, THEN some spinoffs if you want.

I'd kill Namco if they would release Narikiri Dungeon GBA games and not a single main entry. This is Atlus and not my beloved franchise so I'll just pass and whine.

WYWY

Roughly translates as 'Summon Night - Twin Edge: Chorus of the Fairies". Dated August this year. Says maker is Banpresto - which should be incorrect. Flight-Plan makes the SN games and Banpresto is the publisher. Unless something changed?

Select protagonist from either one of a pair of 'genki'(cheerful, active, optimistic, etc.-the usual stereotype) siblings - boy or girl.

A PS2 installment is advertised. Explicitly says that the protagonists for the PS2 game are 'mature adults'(You can see they are scarred). Which is good news to me. SN3 had adults as protagonists and ended up having one of the best stories I had ever experienced - as opposed to annoying, whiny "I GOTTA BELIEVE!/WE'LL NEVER GIVE UP!/OH OUR ADOLESCENT ANGST!" stupid kids that star in 9 out of 10 JRPGs.

Llyranor

So the Summon Night GBA titles are good games? All I know is that they're Tales-like. What else distinguishes them from other JRPGs?

duckroll

WYWY said:
Says maker is Banpresto - which should be incorrect. Flight-Plan makes the SN games and Banpresto is the publisher. Unless something changed?

Maker = whoever publishes the game. :p

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
The only real similarity the GBA games has to the Tales series is that it has a side-scrolling action based battle system. You only control one character at a time though, so it's a lot less havoc filled. Otherwise, they're pretty much just linear RPGs and have a tendency to feel a bit dungeon-crawly, especially the first game. There's a lot of writing, some of which is pretty funny, which is really the only upside of the series IMO.

The console games are tile based strategy RPGs, although they actually rely a bit more on tactics, as opposed to the character building of N1 RPGs. They're competantly made, but you're better off sticking to FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre to be quite honest. Summon Night really just cloned them and then added in (excessively told) anime-style storylines, while at the same time, removing the depth that made those really interesting.

discoalucard said:
The only real similarity the GBA games has to the Tales series is that it has a side-scrolling action based battle system. You only control one character at a time though, so it's a lot less havoc filled. Otherwise, they're pretty much just linear RPGs and have a tendency to feel a bit dungeon-crawly, especially the first game. There's a lot of writing, some of which is pretty funny, which is really the only upside of the series IMO.

The console games are tile based strategy RPGs, although they actually rely a bit more on tactics, as opposed to the character building of N1 RPGs. They're competantly made, but you're better off sticking to FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre to be quite honest. Summon Night really just cloned them and then added in (excessively told) anime-style storylines, while at the same time, removing the depth that made those really interesting.

Summon night has some very interesting systems in place that make it much more challenging and fun than some FFT clone. It's also full of rather charming characters who, although stereotypical at times, manage to be quite likeable. The series deserves way better than what you are giving it.

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 is a great game. The second one was pretty good too... it felt a little less original than the first in some ways (in setting and theme), but it improved other things. I'd definitely love to see a US release of the third one. It's too bad that no one is releasing anything for the GBA other than liscenced kid's games anymore... there's probably no chance Atlus will port the third GBA game. :(

As for the console SRPGs, there are like five of them now, right, with this upcoming one? Seeing any of them at all get US releases would be fantastic... they look pretty good.

A Black Falcon said:
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 is a great game. The second one was pretty good too... it felt a little less original than the first in some ways (in setting and theme), but it improved other things. I'd definitely love to see a US release of the third one. It's too bad that no one is releasing anything for the GBA other than liscenced kid's games anymore... there's probably no chance Atlus will port the third GBA game. :(

As for the console SRPGs, there are like five of them now, right, with this upcoming one? Seeing any of them at all get US releases would be fantastic... they look pretty good.
The upcoming game would be the 5th, and yes they are quite good. there is also an arpg/adventure game thats pretty fun.

Top Bottom