• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Myst For DS

Blackbird

Myst is an immersive experience that draws you in and won't let you go. You enter a unique setting, venturing alone to varied times and places, the worlds that compose Myst. There are no instructions, and you encounter no living beings but soon realize your actions may help individuals who are somehow trapped in a parallel dimension.

You don't so much play Myst, as experience it. Of course you must solve a multitude of puzzles, mazes, and problems, but Myst's principal attractions are its environment and the underlying intrafamily drama that unfolds as you explore.

Unlike most adventure games, Myst offers no inventory, no death, and no dialogue. Although puzzles don't seem to have much direct connection to the game, they share a commonality. They take on many forms but follow a consistent thread. Some puzzles are very challenging, even obtuse, creating an odd paradox: many buy Myst, but few complete it. It is immensely popular, but most nonadventurers quit in frustration. Fortunately, Myst's popularity has spawned several online sites for hints, walk-throughs, and even saved games .

The nonlinear gameplay of Myst lets players go anywhere at any time. Unlike other adventure games, Myst has no inventory, and players never die. Incredibly detailed, Myst offers more depth than any other CD-ROM game to date.

Features:
- All source code has been re-written specifically for Nintendo DS performance and gameplay.
- A complete all NEW Age, the RIME AGE, to explore and uncover mysteries on DS
- NEW sounds, effects, and video clips added throughout. All newly created graphic sets for the added RIME AGE specifically done for the DS
- Newly re-mastered Video and audio
- Save Multiple games for various players.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Vic said:
no link equals failure

This thread needs some
4rc5iqa.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I call bullshit.

Why? Well, let's read GameSpot's PC Myst review:
Myst is an immersive experience that draws you in and won't let you go. You enter a unique setting, venturing alone to varied times and places, the worlds that compose Myst. There are no instructions, and you encounter no living beings but soon realize your actions may help individuals who are somehow trapped in a parallel dimension.

You don't so much play Myst, as experience it. Of course you must solve a multitude of puzzles, mazes, and problems, but Myst's principal attractions are its environment and the underlying intrafamily drama that unfolds as you explore.

Unlike most adventure games, Myst offers no inventory, no death, and no dialogue. Although puzzles don't seem to have much direct connection to the game, they share a commonality. They take on many forms but follow a consistent thread. Some puzzles are very challenging, even obtuse, creating an odd paradox: many buy Myst, but few complete it. It is immensely popular, but most nonadventurers quit in frustration. Fortunately, Myst's popularity has spawned several online sites for hints, walk-throughs, and even saved games (see GameSpot's Myst-links).

Now, let's look at this Amazon-based site selling Myst for a Myst feature list

Manufacturer Description
The nonlinear gameplay of Myst lets players go anywhere at any time. Unlike other adventure games, Myst has no inventory, and players never die. Incredibly detailed, Myst offers more depth than any other CD-ROM game to date.

And finally, where does the feature list come from? It rhymes with pong.
Myst for PSP

There are many new features available on Myst for the PSP. All source code has been re-written specifically for the PSP’s performance and gameplay. New additions to make the most of the PSP’s technology include sounds, video clips and effects. There is also an all-new age known as the Rime Age which gamers can explore and uncover many various mysteries. Another element is the ability to save multiple games for various players.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, wait, Midway cribbed their ****ing press release from a bunch of websites? That's even more embarassing than some random making it up and posting it on GAF.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Wow what is this Myst game? I managed to accidentally skip it over the last 15 years because it never appeared on a Nintendo platform but golly I always thought it looked cool and here's my chance to play it

Amir0x

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Wow what is this Myst game? I managed to accidentally skip it over the last 15 years because it never appeared on a Nintendo platform but golly I always thought it looked cool and here's my chance to play it

Plus with touch screen controls!

rikitikitik said:
If this is real, I finally will be able to find out what the fuss is all about.

:lol

Sho Nuff the psychic?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
using modern compression techniques, there is really no reason most of the game shouldn't fit just fine on a DS chip. that being said, if I'm never going to replay it on my PC from the 10th anniversary collection, I'm certainly not going to buy this.

Though for the three of you out there who have never played this game... Outstanding sci-fi adventure game. Actually the entire series up to 5 was amazing. 5 was simply ok.

mclem

Stumpokapow said:
So, wait, Midway cribbed their ****ing press release from a bunch of websites? That's even more embarassing than some random making it up and posting it on GAF.

Isn't it more likely that Midway have a generic blurb-for-Myst that they've been using for a while to describe the game - including for the PSP version - and the websites cribbed from that?

Proc

It's a fun little time sink that would actually work quite well on the DS. Only problem is, once you beat it once, you can probably beat it in under 10 minutes lol.

phil_fish

teh RIME age was created for REALmyst.
im pretty sure its the only itteration so far to have it.

have to say, MYST on DS makes a lot of sense.

rikitikitik said:
If this is real, I finally will be able to find out what the fuss is all about.

you're too late now...the game is no longer the greatest in the genre...in fact...it's pretty awful in comparison

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
phil_fish said:
They waited for millions of girls to own a DS. I know this game sold a lot to the ladies, back in the days.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mclem said:
Isn't it more likely that Midway have a generic blurb-for-Myst that they've been using for a while to describe the game - including for the PSP version - and the websites cribbed from that?

You think GameSpot cribbled an entire review from a Midway press package?

The other two I can easily see being stock text, although it's exceptionally poor to repeat the exact same things verboten in the same order and not even edit for clarity (IE references to CD-ROM, etc)

dock

I wonder whether this is bullshit.

I don't understand why they don't republish Myst and Riven on the Wii.

I'd totally play those with the wiimote as a pointer, it seems like an ideal sit back and play game, one that people can help out with when watching. I've never played those games, but I know that I'd buy them on Wii.

phil_fish

a brand new myst game just for DS would be very very nice.
im sure you could push some pretty impressive graphics in a game where all the horsepower is spent on visuals. no AI, no physics, no enemy animation, bones, etc etc.

but of course...that would require actual work.

Chemo

Stumpokapow said:

The other two I can easily see being stock text, although it's exceptionally poor to repeat the exact same things verboten in the same order and not even edit for clarity (IE references to CD-ROM, etc)
verboten.jpg

JoeMartin

The "graphics" are going to be amazing because it doesn't really have graphics perse. Myst is a slideshow of prerendered scenes (granted, a whole ****ton of them) around which you can navigate. There were certain things in the environment which you can "interact" with, but it just triggers a movie that moves what needs to be moved within the scene. Should be perfect for the DS.

This was amazing back in the day because the CG was amazing and there were enough frames that you could navigate around to make you feel like you're really there. Granted the CG doesn't even look all that good anymore; I don't know how well it'll hold up on the DS. Hopefully they can maintain the same image fidelity.

This will definately be a walk down memory lane, though. I was one of the Myst freaks back in the day. Unfortunately, if you've already beaten the game before and you remember how to do it, you can literally beat the game in 30 seconds. Still one of the best puzzlers/thrillers ever made IMO (the whole series in general, I loved Riven). Some of the puzzles are absolutely ridiculous, and the Myst story/universe has some amazing lore. I think it's definitely something everyone should experience, if only on the DS.

Kuramu

I always wanted to get my dad to play Myst, since he loves solving things. He has a DS, so this is my chance

jesusraz

Good to see this confirmed as it was rumoured last year shortly after the PSP version hit. Wish something like Zork Nemesis or even Broken Sword would come to DS as well, though...

Kafel

Banned
jesusraz said:
Good to see this confirmed as it was rumoured last year shortly after the PSP version hit. Wish something like Zork Nemesis or even Broken Sword would come to DS as well, though...

It was said in development in october 2006.

mclem

Stumpokapow said:

I wouldn't put it past them...

More seriously, though, I got confused; I thought the text was from Gamespot's blurb page too, not from a review.

Blackbird

Stumpokapow said:
I call bullshit.

I agree on the CD-ROM part, yet I'm not the one spitting out PR like this. Didn't want me to let that part out just to make it more believable, would you?

Kafel

Banned
Neo Child said:
It's real guys. I've seen some really old dev shots (no I cant link you to them).

How does it look ? Do you know if the game has a sort of blank page to write hints ? ( it would be very useful )

Neo Child

Banned
Kafel said:
How does it look ? Do you know if the game has a sort of blank page to write hints ? ( it would be very useful )

This was about last year, screenshots didn't really reveal much. They were also quite small but they looked pre-rendered (or very impressive for DS). I really can't remember much about it. I thought it was vaporware until just now since nothing has been heard of it since. Sorry I cant remember more.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
All those features they mention were also mentioned for the PSP version. I wonder exactly what these new videos are, because from what I've played I didn't notice anything different (in the PSP version).
Surely they can't be messing with any of the story/character-related videos? I bet they've just added a couple of birds flying around on certain screens.

phil_fish said:
teh RIME age was created for REALmyst.
im pretty sure its the only itteration so far to have it.

Wrong, the PSP version has the Rime age as well.

And speaking of RealMyst, I think it's by far the best version of Myst, it's actually worth checking out even for people who have already played Myst (and enjoy the game, of course). It's the only Myst in real-time 3D with free movement and look controls (ie no static screens), and it still looks really nice. And has the Rime age, as mentioned before.

Linkup

ElectricBlue187 said:
you're too late now...the game is no longer the greatest in the genre...in fact...it's pretty awful in comparison

Like anyone has been keep track since then.

Top Bottom