• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TECMO just dragon punched me in the eye: Rygar Wii is just a porting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It seems that, as Tecmo stated in the new Famitsu, Project Rygar is in fact a much smaller effort than what I for one was really hoping for: It'll be just a Wiiport of Rygar PS2 with some new goodies like one new character, a new "battle arena" mode (IGN calls it Muscle mode), a general overhaul concerning enemies and items position over the map and a -not clear how much or how so -beefed up graphics bells and whistles.
IGN raises the doubts even concerning the possibility of classic control for the main adventure with wiimote gestures relegated to the new arena mode (where you essentially have close combat wiimote swings per strike): there still some hopes because other bloggers say that IGN mistranslated this bit and it is in fact still unclear how the game will control over story mode.

Booooooo!

I liked the idea of a new Rygar for Wii... now not-so-much.

Edit: back up source IGN http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803338p1.html

2nd Edit: confirmed (again) by Famitsu's scans
th_46720_Project_Rygar_1_122_837lo.jpg

AniHawk

RYGAR: The Battle of Argus
Fact Sheet

Title: RYGAR: The Battle of Argus
Publisher: Tecmo®
Platform: Nintendo® Wii
Genre: Mini-Game Compilation
Ship Date: Q4 2007

Product
Overview: Grab your Diskarmor and swing into action on the Nintendo® Wii as the legendary warrior, Rygar! Immerse yourself in Greco-Roman mythology as you journey through the sundered Island of Argus. Intuitive use of the Wii remote allows you to deftly and effectively control the use of the powerful Diskarmor to destroy enemies and maneuver on, around, over, and under obstacles to save Princess Harmonia!

Features:
• Innovative Play Mechanics: The legendary Diskarmor shield can be used for attack, defense, or transportation all with the intuitive use of the Wii-mote

• Action Packed Adventure Mini-Games: The action-adventure platforming games span various unique zones and requires vanquishing the enemy and light puzzle solving

• Intense Combo Attacks: Multiple Diskarmor weapons are available to be found and upgraded with elemental power-ups such as fire, ice, and lightning. Engage the enemy with over 30 different devastating combo attacks before time runs out.

Sounds good.

The End

I mean, Rygar was a pretty good game, all things considered.

It's not like the gamecube had some overabundance of real 3rd person action games either.

Core407

Banned
To all the people who didn't believe me when I said it would probably end up being a port of Rygar to the Wii; EAT MY TAINT.

Edit: And soon Tecmo will anounce true sequels for the PS3/360.

USD

Are you serious? And this game was supposed to a sign that at least some developers cared a little about the Wii. Yowzers if true.

Narag

Tecmo E3 2007 Rygar Fact Sheet said:
Riveting Story: A story set in the Greco-Roman era surrounding a noble warrior attempting to save his Princess, bring the Island of Argus back to peace, and annihilate the Titans using only his wits, fabled Diskarmor, and captivating looks and charm

Wikipedia story synopsis for the PS2 game said:
Rygar: The Legendary Adventure takes place on an island in the Mediterranean Sea called Argus. Rygar is about to receive a wreath from Princess Harmonia in a ceremony for a victorious naval battle, when Titans suddenly attack. Icarus captures Harmonia and Rygar falls into a pit torn open in the ground. Inside, he finds the Diskarmor, a legendary shield of the gods. Then he must rescue Harmonia and bring peace to Argus

Hmm. :(

Wow. This E3 is like a gigantic kick in the balls to Wii owners. First, Iwata basically says "you guys are whining bitches... get used to all of our games being this way" (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit with that)... and now this. Disappointmenton total.

Sharp

BrodiemanTTR said:
Whoa wait a minute. This is pretty lame news, but all of a sudden its a bad E3 for Nintendo fans? I'm pretty satisfied.
Yeah but only 'cause you're a Nintendo fan.
CrushDance said:
Yes, because DS is the way to go.

* rolls eyes*
Yes? I realize the current GAF thing is that Nintendo doesn't make games, but the DS library, whether we're talking about games or nongames, is absolutely incredible.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stormbringer said:
If I recall correctly, didn't Tecmo state themselves during the presentation that this was NOT a port of the PS2 game ? And where is that IGN article this source is talking about ? That's weird.

Here is IGN's blog of the announcement:

"Based on the classic NES/Arcade game (which also made a glorious stop on PS2), this game starts the franchise anew with new characters and settings. Kikuchi wants to make a game that people can easily get into through the Wiimote, and the Wiimote will be your main control device for Rygar's Diskarmor. He hopes to be able to show more of Rygar some time this year"

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BrodiemanTTR said:
Whoa wait a minute. This is pretty lame news, but all of a sudden its a bad E3 for Nintendo fans? I'm pretty satisfied.

yeah, i don't know how anyone can watch the mario galaxy and metroid prime 3 trailers--as a nintendo fan--and be disappointed. both look phenomenal, and early gameplay reports are saying they play equally well.

the conference itself was brutal though.

.dmc

Banned
Can't wait for the Factor 5 Wii game to be announced as a port of Rogue Squadron with chibi-star-wars-racer tacked on.

yoopoo

Banned
Stormbringer said:
If I recall correctly, didn't Tecmo state themselves during the presentation that this was definitely NOT a port of the PS2 game ? And where is that IGN article this source is talking about ? That's weird.
1up says it built from ground up for wii.
ign says:

Little is know about the game, but the motto of the title is: New Hero, New Enemies, Swing Action. The title has a new lead character and all-new gameplay based entirely around the Wiimote controller.

But that could be old info.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
so that brings the wii's total of legitimate third party games to...well, let's just round it off to zero

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
To the person who was arguing with me about the hardcore appeal of Rygar: I hope you buy the game this time around. :lol

donny2112

fistfulofmetal said:
This has been a bad E3 for Nintendo fans.

Obviously that depends on your perspective. I'm more pumped following this year's Pre-E3 Conference than last year's.
Thank you, WiiFit!
However, I also fall into the "hardcore gamer who really likes the so-called non-games" category. :lol

godhandiscen said:
No hardcore gamer can survive this gen with only a Wii.

:lol

Overstate much?

Pureauthor said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

This E3 is awesome.

On so many levels. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:
I'm not a nintendo fan and I don't think this has been a horrible E3 for nintendo fans.

The conference was bad, overall I'm relatively satisifed. Metroid and Galaxy are winners. That's awesome

I realize that this is the official jump-to-conclusions board but if this is just a PS2 port then what the hell was all that new artwork they released about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom