• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a fun little game. lttp etc

Picked it up the other day (MSRP is $25 bitches, go get it while it's in stock).

I've got about 11 or 12 Slimes now, and I just got the tank.

One question though, is it normal to see graphical glitches during screen changes? The screen will fade to black for a moment, then a nearby environment will load for a moment, then it'll switch to the new screen that it's supposed to be. It happens a lot, I don't remember ever hearing about it though.

Kazenone

AdmiralViscen said:
One question though, is it normal to see graphical glitches during screen changes? The screen will fade to black for a moment, then a nearby environment will load for a moment, then it'll switch to the new screen that it's supposed to be. It happens a lot, I don't remember ever hearing about it though.

Yes that happened to me as well. I had something similar FFIII when I closed my DS lid and re-opened it. Nothing to worry about I think.

Enjoy Rocket Slime, it's awesome and I put a good 30 hours into it before I got 100%. Crystal Chronicler ftw.

Awesome game, one of the better games GAF has ever made me buy. It was probably close to my favorite DS game last year behind Elite Beat Agents. The tank battles are just so much damn fun.

Edit: I can't remember any screen loading glitches. I did get stuck in a wall somehow at one point in the game though.

I just deleted my old file and will be starting to play through the game once again. This time round I want to get everything. All of the possible crew members, all of the weapons, and complete a run through the tank arena. It's such a fun, simple and intuitive game.

I never experienced any graphical glitches with my game. It's been a while since I played the game but I don't remember having any issues whatsoever.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rocket Slime was a fantastic ****ing game. The tank battles were among the best I've played when it comes to dual screen usage in a game.

Durante

Fun game indeed. It's way more entertaining than any "main" DQ game I've played. I also love the localization.

Dude, you now own one of the best titles of 2006. A brilliant and charming game with a fun little multiplayer mode. I really need to bust it out again.

If you know someone else with the game you have to have some local multiplayer sessions, they're such stupid fun and honestly become a real driver to get you to play through levels again simply to whore items for alchemy/ammo creation.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice to see more people discovering this gem... shame it gets overlooked so often, even in DS recommendation threads.

I bought this game about a week ago too and I'm loving it.

I do notice graphical glitches, when leaving some areas the screen will flash with the previous area while it's fading out. It all happens within a second.

The game is fun, simple, and funny.

Is the multi single-card? That's probably too much to ask... I'll have to let my girlfriend try my copy, maybe she'll want a copy herself.

jaundicejuice said:
I just deleted my old file and will be starting to play through the game once again. This time round I want to get everything. All of the possible crew members, all of the weapons, and complete a run through the tank arena. It's such a fun, simple and intuitive game.

I never experienced any graphical glitches with my game. It's been a while since I played the game but I don't remember having any issues whatsoever.

Is it possible to permanently miss something?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I have this game but haven't opened it yet. I'll get to it after I'm done with Final Fantasy.

Kuran

Banned
Isn't this one of the most lttp-ed games ever? Surely in the top 5.

Its great, though. I also had that glitch with the US version.

TiVo

jaundicejuice said:

Same here, Saturday morning. Already finished it. Now playing though the tank challenge mode.

How do I get more crew members?

CANLI

Yeah, I've finished the game too. Just lacked some receips.

It was my first Dragon Quest, I began to love and after, I bought DQ viii and Monsters Joker. I really liked DQ MJ. I'm waiting for the 9th!!

AdmiralViscen said:
Is it possible to permanently miss something?

Nothing that I'm aware of, you can always revisit previous levels. I just picked up the guidebook last week and haven't gone through it as of yet so I could be wrong.

TiVo said:
How do I get more crew members?

On top of the slimes? Capture 30 of any monster and visit its statue in the museum you'll find that monster type standing in front for you to recruit.

It seems pretty comprehensive just by leafing through it. You probably won't need the walkthrough given that the game is pretty easy, but it's got detailed information on eveything else. A beastiary, the types of monsters per level, lists on how to upgrade your tank (when you can and what items it will take), an alchemy list, detailed run downs on the ammo, a guide to the tank arena, and detailed run downs on all of the critters you can have crewing your tanks.

Looks to be about as on par with the DQVIII guide.

Kazenone

AdmiralViscen said:
What first game?

Rocket Slime is a sequel to to Slime MoriMori : Shogeki No Shippon Dan (IIRC). It never came out stateside, but it's basically Rocket Slime without Tank Battles on the GBA. It's really good and pretty funny.

How long is the game? I already have something like 12 freed Slimes. Will the game continue at this pace, or are the rescues frontloaded? There are 100 total, right?

Kazenone

AdmiralViscen said:
How long is the game? I already have something like 12 freed Slimes. Will the game continue at this pace, or are the rescues frontloaded? There are 100 total, right?

If you're a total comletionist, then probably 30hours+ to get everything! A quick run through wont take more than 10 hours. And yes, 100 slimes, but loads of things to collect at the end, also the Tank Battle arena.

Does all the collecting at the end serve a purpose other than arming up your tank?

I'll probably stick to the main game. You need to save all 100 Slimes to beat it, or is it like Mario 64?

edit: The map in this game is perfection.

Neo Child

Banned
jj984jj said:
Did you try a tank battle?

No, I didn't get that far. They did look fun but I was kind of bored so I just gave up. How much of the "collect the people and get them into town" is there? Tank battles do look fun though..

Really all of the collection aspects are only necessary if you're anal rententive and have to have everything or you want to kick ass in multiplayer.

Neo Child said:
No, I didn't get that far. They did look fun but I was kind of bored so I just gave up. How much of the "collect the people and get them into town" is there? Tank battles do look fun though..

You get the tank within 40 minutes of playing.

You collect people and objects to arm the tank, which integrates that task into the game a lot better than it first appears. And the little trolleys are everywhere, so it's not a big deal.

monkeylite said:
Don't forget the side quests needed to upgrade your tanks and gain additional recipes.

I really didn't do too much upgrading either my tank or ammunition,I just did the bare minimum and did okay in the main game.

Kazenone

AdmiralViscen said:
Does all the collecting at the end serve a purpose other than arming up your tank?

I'll probably stick to the main game. You need to save all 100 Slimes to beat it, or is it like Mario 64?

Collection of items/alchemy is pretty much all for your tank at the end of the game. You need all 100 Slimes to beat the game as well (end-credits), but you can still play after that; collecting things, alchemy, tank battles.

Neo Child

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
You get the tank within 40 minutes of playing.

You collect people and objects to arm the tank, which integrates that task into the game a lot better than it first appears. And the little trolleys are everywhere, so it's not a big deal.

I must be pathetic at the game, I'm sure I played it for an hour (or what seemed like it), and I didn't encounter a tank battle. Damn, I might give it a go later, the witty dialogue and presentation reminds me of Mario Superstar Saga 1+2.

Neo Child said:
I must be pathetic at the game, I'm sure I played it for an hour (or what seemed like it), and I didn't encounter a tank battle. Damn, I might give it a go later, the witty dialogue and presentation reminds me of Mario Superstar Saga 1+2.

Did you get to the desert area? Your first task there is to get the tank.

Maybe I just played quickly.

Neo Child

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Did you get to the desert area? Your first task there is to get the tank.

Maybe I just played quickly.

Erm, don't think so I did. What exactly makes them fun? Do you use the D-PAD or Stylus?

dasme

This is one of my favorite titles on the DS period. Something I droned on about quite often during early episodes of the ds:life podcast.

The game play may be a bit on the simple side, but that was the charm. It was damn addictive trying to unlock all of the townsfolk, never mind when you get into the tank battles.

Nothing is better then firing an enemy back at their base and managing to destroy their tank while they float helpless through the air. This game screams SEQUEL!

Neo Child said:
Erm, don't think so I did. What exactly makes them fun? Do you use the D-PAD or Stylus?

D-pad. You can fire in a high or a low arc. You have pairs of ammo-spitters in three locations on your tank, and you need to collect all the doodads you sent to town and fire them at the other guy. You select the makeup of your arsenal before the battle, from the stuff you've accrued. You can fit 30 things, but they keep refreshing, kind of like Mega Man Battle Network's chips.

Go on a little further, and you get crewmen too, drawn from the Slimes you saved. Each one has two special attributes, like firing the top gun, healing, keeping out intruders, or invading the enemy tank. You can also upgrade your tank using specific doodads you've found, like FF8's weapon mod system

Your opponents will sometimes rush your tank and start fires that damage you, so you need to take them out, and when you take their HP's tank to 0 you have to run over and take out their engine by yourself.

It's fun and frantic, you should really try one before putting the game down for good.

AdmiralViscen said:
This is already one of my favorite DS games.

And another has seen the light. maybe you won't be late at picking up Joker now?

stalker said:
Would buy, but I live in Europe :-(

The DS is region free, what's stopping you from importing this game from North America?

Neo Child

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
It's fun and frantic, you should really try one before putting the game down for good.

Defo, sounds really good. I loved the style but the repetetive "find em, chuck em" gameplay really put me off, and I thought the whole game would be like this. Gunna start again (new game).

jaundicejuice said:
And another has seen the light. maybe you won't be late at picking up Joker now?

Is Joker coming out in US/Europe anytime soon. I might pick it up, looks like a nice Pokemon-esque RPG.

The controls are fairly simplistic, but the gameplay has a fair bit of depth to it. At least a lot more thanI expected.

Edit: This fall, supposedly, Joker is coming out in North America. I have no idea about a European release. I imported the Japanese version and liked what I played of it, it's like the Monster Arena mode from VIII only you have more direct control over your critters. I gave up because I was essentially just muddling around, I can't read Japanese.

Top Bottom