• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My opinion is more important and therefore requires its own thread.

I'm talking of course about these threads that pop up on the forum like "MGS4: Interest Dissapearing". Threads started by one person with a differing opinion who sees fit to start a thread to get their opinion across rather than just post it in the relevant topic - in this case the "...ALL OVER MY OCTOCAM" thread about the trailer discussion.

What really is the point of these threads? Most seem just to put across a deliberately different viewpoint to troll or be antagonistic (although the one mentioned above doesn't), are these just to create controversy or is it that they can't express their opinion in the official thread for fear of being jumped upon by the fans of title X?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
People are going to complain about videogames.

What do you want:

a) The complaints to go in the threads where there's fans and attempts at thorough discussion rather than criticism.
b) The complaints to go in their own threads.

In either case you're considered to be trolling, so that's not the question.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I totally thought this was a mod stealth-edit on the title :lol

Ferrio

Banned
I agree

lettuce.jpg

FightyF

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
Threads started by one person with a differing opinion who sees fit to start a thread to get their opinion across rather than just post it in the relevant topic - in this case the "...ALL OVER MY OCTOCAM" thread about the trailer discussion.

Because they'll get raped?

Seriously, read the Killzone 2 thread. If you didn't think KZ2 was the best looking game at E3, you'd get lynched.

People would bring up valid and reasonable points, but the fanboys would jump on them and accuse these people of trolling.

pswii60

BocoDragon said:
I totally thought this was a mod stealth-edit on the title :lol

Yup same here, but then looked at the post count and thought 'that didnt take long' :eek:

Despite stupid overly opinionated OPs, some GAFers take this forum for granted. 10 seconds at any other forum is about all I can cope with.

FightyF said:
Because they'll get raped?

Seriously, read the Killzone 2 thread. If you didn't think KZ2 was the best looking game at E3, you'd get lynched.

People would bring up valid and reasonable points, but the fanboys would jump on them and accuse these people of trolling.

True. Sometimes it helps to know to keep out of these threads. I thought Killzone 2 looked great but I didn't think it was anything like the best looking game of E3, not that it matters what I think.

But instead of being able to discuss the GAME, instead the entire thread is full of people yanking their fanboy twangles over some developers comments on the workings of the lighting engine and rambling on about console differences.

Zeppu

While i agree on the pointlessness of the aforementioned threads i think that it's better to separate the whiners from the actual thread which may hold information/discussions.

Such posts would immediately start wars in the thread.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I still don't understand why some people want Official Threads to be trolled.

Moreover, I don't understand why disliking something is not allowed to be expressed. There's Fan Threads, so why not Anti-Fan Threads?

pswii60

dog$ said:
I still don't understand why some people want Official Threads to be trolled.

Moreover, I don't understand why disliking something is not allowed to be expressed. There's Fan Threads, so why not Anti-Fan Threads?

Just don't visit the official Lair thread.

justjohn

as a fan of mgs4. i would rather the trolls made their own threads and troll them so i can avoid them than entering the official threads and trolling it

pswii60

justjohn said:
as a fan of mgs4. i would rather the trolls made their own threads and troll them so i can avoid them than entering the official threads and trolling it

It depends whether they are being trolls or just offering genuine opinions. I mean, I was a huge Halo fan but even I thought the Halo 3 BETA looked like shit and said what I thought. There is being a fan, then there is being in denial.
MGS4 is looking great btw

RubberJohnny said:
I'm talking of course about these threads that pop up on the forum like "MGS4: Interest Dissapearing". Threads started by one person with a differing opinion who sees fit to start a thread to get their opinion across rather than just post it in the relevant topic - in this case the "...ALL OVER MY OCTOCAM" thread about the trailer discussion.

What really is the point of these threads? Most seem just to put across a deliberately different viewpoint to troll or be antagonistic (although the one mentioned above doesn't), are these just to create controversy or is it that they can't express their opinion in the official thread for fear of being jumped upon by the fans of title X?

You do realize that you made a thread because you personally don't like when people make threads about things they don't like, right?

pswii60 said:
True. Sometimes it helps to know to keep out of these threads. I thought Killzone 2 looked great but I didn't think it was anything like the best looking game of E3, not that it matters what I think.

But instead of being able to discuss the GAME, instead the entire thread is full of people yanking their fanboy twangles over some developers comments on the workings of the lighting engine and rambling on about console differences.

This is why I stay out of threads for games that I know I'll have any speck of a gripe about.

There's trolling, and then there's having reasonable opinions.

Busty

Banned
pswii60 said:
True. Sometimes it helps to know to keep out of these threads. I thought HALO3 looked great but I didn't think it was anything like the best looking game of E3, not that it matters what I think.

Just fixed that post for you. To even suggest HALO3 is anything less than perfection is punishable by death.

The Killzone2 thread is a delightful summer time romp in the park by comparison.

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
Scary stuff indeed.

I like it though. Gives the place character.

TDG

Banned
Busty said:
Just fixed that post for you. To even suggest HALO3 is anything less than perfection is punishable by death.

The Killzone2 thread is a delightful summer time romp in the park by comparison.
Whoa there. I think you might be a bit misguided there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Such threads should be closed (where there is already a thread going and the person feels the need to post his opinion outside the thread).

It should be a rule.

Tobor

No one has ever beaten the Kobyashi Maru scenario.

"Why did you start your own thread with this crap?"

"Don't post that garbage in here. Go start your own thread!"

Ranger X

Those thread shouldn't really be. Also, diverging opinions aren't necessarily trolling attempts. GAF is ****ing quick kjumping on people and there YOU are pushing less confident poster in making useless thread because they don't want to bother you in your supposedly "positive" threads.

Also, don't mix criticism with complains and/or negativity. One has nothing to do with the other.

ShinNL

Heh, I always thought those special threads for unreleased games with weird quotes were the official threads...

I like the LTTP threads though, where someone mentions a gem which everyone has forgotten about with a nice opening post of that person's discovery. However... creating LTTP threads only because the person is a few months late (with no region-release as reason) is the same as attention whoring D:

Top Bottom