• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tollgate:London Subscription Details

Euro Pricing Announced
Flagship Studios are pleased to announce the pricing structure for its upcoming highly-anticipated action role-playing game HELLGATE: LONDON in Europe. For expectant players HELLGATE: LONDON will offer players two ways to play through Standard and Subscription accounts.

For all players, HELLGATE: LONDON comes completely free-to-play out of the box and will offer a secure online experience with features including the ability to play cooperatively with thousands of other players, trade items, join guilds and enjoy a host of gameplay and community features including voice chat and buddy lists.

For players with Subscription* accounts ( € 9.99 / £6.99 per month) , Flagship Studios will deliver exciting new ongoing content including new character classes, areas, monsters, items and raid content, new game modes (including Hardcore, Role-Play and PvP mode), and additional character and stash slots. Subscribers can found guilds, select to nominate an officer and will have access to guild and player housing. Other features include in-game email for items, web access to characters and a place in future beta lotteries

For more information about the game please visit www.hellgatelondon.com .

* Some subscription features will be available only after the release of HELLGATE: LONDON.

Ten Euros a month, insane. That's more than my wife's WoW subscription, and Tollgate is giving you far less than Blizzard is with WoW. You don't even necessarily get all the subscription features if you subscribe on day one-looks like some of the stuff will be patched in over time.

I used to have high hopes for this game, but this model is a sad fucking joke and an incredible attempt to monetize players even before they are customers. Ridiculous.

Mrbob

Really is a damn shame.

I was so excited for this game at one time.

Now I couldn't care less about it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ugh, why can't they stick with Expansions? Instead of trying to trickle it to the gamer. Its almost like paying for car insurance due to the off chance you'll get in a major accident. It reeks of "skimming off the top"

Victrix

*beard*
I've said this before, but I'll say it again just so the Hellgate devs can slump farther down in their chairs

This was a day 1 purchase, now it's a 'meh, wait and see', courtesey of all the lameass announcements they keep rolling out

BlueTsunami said:
Ugh, why can't they stick with Expansions? Instead of trying to trickle it to the gamer. Its almost like paying for car insurance due to the off chance you'll get in a major accident. It reeks of "skimming off the top"

You get more money per customer if you charge per month than if you try to sell and expansion. You also get way more demanding customers and way tighter release schedules.

I think for a studio like Flagship they would have been better with a simple expansion-based model. The problem with that is that would be way harder to make good money on in the Asian markets than a subscription model, if I understand things correctly.

calder

It's like they had some ideas for what to do with the financial model of this game but couldn't find one really logical thing to stick to. Then they made a few iffy decisions about what would work in the future for subscription models, then a few delays and since then it's been just a comedy of errors. Pity, once upon a time this game looked and sounded like an amazing - and potentially very innovative - experience.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
M3wThr33 said:
This game wouldn't be getting all the bad press if it was just an MMO without a 'free' version.

This is what I've been saying all along. They need to shit or get off the toilet. Right now the log is festering on the toilet seat. Either everyone has a fee or no one has a fee.

The way they are going about it just makes payers and non-payers angry. What a completely boneheaded buisness model.

Victrix

*beard*
TemplaerDude said:
so what the fuck do free players get to do exactly?

clean up subscribers shit?

20070511.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TrueReligion said:
Do not want.
It was a day one purchase until they announced the subscription nonsense.

Seriously. I don't get it. People were hyping themselves up for this game thinking it would be the 3D spiritual successor to Diablo II. And yet we're getting an MMO with a stripped down "free-to-play" option, and putting both sets of players on the same servers. It's retarded. I don't see how they believe this is a good idea.

White Man

M3wThr33 said:
This game wouldn't be getting all the bad press if it was just an MMO without a 'free' version.

Sure it would. Then it would be offering a pay for play model similar to what Guild Wars does for free. It would still be getting bad press if it was 100% pay to play.

People keep drawing comparisons to MMOs but...there's no persistent world/servers, right? That's pretty much the one thing that justifies the monthly fee of MMOs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
echoshifting said:
People keep drawing comparisons to MMOs but...there's no persistent world/servers, right? That's pretty much the one thing that justifies the monthly fee of MMOs.

From what I understand, it's setup like Guild Wars where there are persistant hubs while all the questing areas are instanced.

White Man

ZealousD said:
From what I understand, it's setup like Guild Wars where there are persistant hubs while all the questing areas are instanced.

Yup, the overall game structure, worldwise, is exactly like Guild Wars.

Acosta

These guys made Diablo. If this was Diablo 3 this thread would have 10 pages of people dying to give their money to Blizzard.

I am still up for this, if there are not region lockout I hope to party with some of you.

Acosta said:
These guys made Diablo. If this was Diablo 3 this thread would have 10 pages of people dying to give their money to Blizzard.

I am still up for this, if there are not region lockout I hope to party with some of you.

What people apart from Roper? How many? or was it the ex-Blizzard waterboy?

Cause the actual hacknslash bits of the game look awful (as does the art).

Ill have my DIII served by Blizzard thank you very much.

I3rand0 said:
So can f2p people JOIN a guild or is that a subscription bonus as well :lol

I think you can join a guild, you just can't be an officer in the guild. Think of it as the new feudalism-you want to stand out from the serfs, you have to pay homage to your king.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Fragamemnon said:
I think you can join a guild, you just can't be an officer in the guild. Think of it as the new feudalism-you want to stand out from the serfs, you have to pay homage to your king.

:lol

I like how Tollgate can be taken two ways; a clever pun on the name of the game or a clever pun regarding the scandal created by the subscription fees.:lol

I don't have anything else to say and I really have never cared about this game, I just liked the thread title.

Moderately related to Hellgate's subscription fees, I posted this in another thread earlier, about Mythos's subscription:

"Travis Baldree: We are intending a dual-economy system for revenue, similar to what Three Rings uses, whereby players can legitimately play and experience the full game without paying anything, but those of us without a lot of time on our hands can pay small amounts for items or features."

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Teknopathetic said:
"Travis Baldree: We are intending a dual-economy system for revenue, similar to what Three Rings uses, whereby players can legitimately play and experience the full game without paying anything, but those of us without a lot of time on our hands can pay small amounts for items or features."

Sweet, the Godfather model.

I really hopes this revenue model takes off so I can never worry about playing games ever again.

"Sweet, the Godfather model.

I really hopes this revenue model takes off so I can never worry about playing games ever again."

I think you're exaggerating something, but the paranoia and crazy in your post prevents me from pinpointing it.

Acosta

Fallout-NL said:
What people apart from Roper? How many? or was it the ex-Blizzard waterboy?

Cause the actual hacknslash bits of the game look awful (as does the art).

Ill have my DIII served by Blizzard thank you very much.

Bill Roper, Max Schaefer, Eric Schaefer and David Brevik.

That is, one of the Senior Producers (Roper) and all the design and project leaders of Diablo 2 (Scahefer Brothers and Brevik).

This is the core team of Diablo 2 no less, and suddenly they suck. Riiiight. Well, I doubt it, we will see.

The fact that it has such obviously talented people designing it and yet has such a terrible business model makes the whole thing sad, to the point of being tragic. :(

Cheeto

Fragamemnon said:
:lol nice

still kinda want

Top Bottom