• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worms: Open Warfare 2 (DS) IGN review

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Now THIS is more like it, Team 17.

Color me impressed. Sounds like they addressed just about every single complaint with the first one. Totally new game engine with improved graphics, better controls, fully online. They even added achievements. I'm in.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/817/817155p1.html

Closing Comments:
IGN (Craig Harris) said:
The Nintendo DS and its tiny screens may not be the best outlet for the classic Worms experience, but THQ and Two Tribes managed to bring it all together for the handheld gamers. Worms: Open Warfare 2 is a massive upgrade to the original game, so much so that it really should have been its own brand instead of "Number Two" of the 2005 release. Awesome single player campaigns, fantastic multiplayer support, and some unexpected treats specific to the unique features of the handheld. It absolutely trounces the first game in every category and finally gives the Nintendo DS the true Worms experience.

Second Opinion:
IGN (Mark Bozon) said:
I’ve been a huge Worms fan since the very beginning, which is why I feel I owe it to both myself and you – our readers – to throw in my opinion as well. There hasn’t been a truly impressive Worms game in quite some time, and then here in the last few months we’ve gotten a very true-to-form effort on Xbox 360, and now Worms: Open Warfare 2; both classic franchise offerings in their own regard. As far as Open Warfare goes though, this game really pulled me in over the last few months by delivering not only spot-on Worms gameplay, but also a ton of additional DS-specific modes and options that added depth to a series that - quite frankly - hasn’t changed too much over the years. As far as this reviewer is concerned, Worms: Open Warfare 2 feels less like “Another good Worms game,” and more like a definitive compilation for fans that also happens to be portable. Tie that in with online, tons of customization, and impressive presentation and you’ve got what I feel is one of the best DS games of this year, period. If you’re a Worms fan, this one’s a no-brainer.
9.0 Presentation
Vastly improved sequel that "resets" the game for players unfamiliar: fantastic tutorial to ease newbies in, and a structure that encourages singleplayer in a multiplayer focused design.

8.5 Graphics
Beautiful blend of 2D and 3D with that familiar animated Worms charm. The DS screen makes things a little claustrophobic...we'd trade a more dynamic camera over 3D backgrounds anyday.

8.5 Sound
Those charming worms retain their voices in the Nintendo DS game, and the new background tunes are pretty upbeat and memorable.

8.5 Gameplay
It might be a little slowpaced for action freaks, but this DS Worms game retains all the fun of the PC design. Some older weapons got the axe, but that definitely isn't a game killer.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
The multiplayer focus is extended with some awesome online functions. And if you want to play by yourself there's a TON to do.

OVERALL

It got an 8.7. Why'd you create a review thread and then not put the score in your first post? That's just lame, man.

had the psp version been reviewed?

i want that one.

the first one was so disappointing. they should have had so much more. this one sounds much better.

I will be buying :)
First DS game i will have bought in quite some time. There are so many good DS games out this autumn. Kinda bad since i just got a Wii. No money for me!

meppi

I'm so glad they corrected the mistakes that were made with the first one.
I bought it and was so disappointed that I traded it back in for something else, which is something I don't usually have to do.

Looking at the review, looks like Team17 are forgiven for the first game.
I'll be sure to pick this one up soon.

nli10

blame space said:
:( Now I have to buy this.

And so do I... If I'd read this earlier I'd have it by now :D

Looking for something to balance out the Pokemans (would have Anno 1701 by now normally, but I'm all strategied out).

Some interesting sleeper hits on the DS in the Uk at the mo.

Yoschi

i already played the game and it's really well done. the only thing thing i miss in the game is (like they say in the review) the zoom function. other than that it's amazing, i was really impressed how they pulled this off compared the the first shitgame, it's fun how a worms-game should be fun.
and the music is so great, i absolutely love the track from the video on the 2nd page of the review (it's the same one from the psp-demo). i hope there's a soundtrack coming if the rest of the songs are so great and chilly like this one!

in case anyone of you has a psp here's a link to the demo:
-> link to worms2 psp demo <-
in contrast to the first game this one feels the same on both consoles (exept that you have no zooming on ds wich you get used to quickly)

Vard

I knew they wouldn't let us down with the sequel.

They don't mention the Hot Seat mode in the review (although you can see it mentioned in IGN's "Game Details")... it's in the game, right? I'm talking about the multiplayer mode which allows you to take turns playing on one DS.

RevoDS

Online + back to sources + shitload of weapons = me buying this next weekend :D

XSX > I read somewhere that there is download play, though it's in a Polarium-like fashion: you send the demo to your friend, then the multiplayer is one of the options in it.

Edit: Duh, it's in the review lol

IGN said:
If you only have one copy of the game you can send a demo version of the game to the systems connected for a random matchup with random team members. Connect to other systems with their own copies of the game and you'll be able to use your custom teams.

I got this for £5 with my new DS :D
It is good. You get to customise a team, even to the extent of the noise they make when the worms die, and you take them online.

Awesome.

My friend code is 4553 7636 3836
Let me know if you add me

I love Worms. Love love love it. But I have the 360 game, and I don't know how much mileage I'd get out of this. Online play on the 360 is cool enough as it is.

It's out in Europe...along with the PSP version. A friend told me that the higher res, widescreen ratio, and ability to zoom means the PSP version whips the DS one, but that both sequels are a real upgrade over the respective Open Warfare releases.

We need to see this on XBLA stat. Until then, seriously consider the PSP version if you have a PSP. If not, of course get the DS version.

Oh, and the PSP version has headgear for your Worms.

XSX

Do you guys think enough people will be playing this online? Either way, Im gonna try and buy it. I'll definetly add my FC to the list once I get rid of this cursed 46k connection.

ibu

jj984jj said:
It turned out much better because Team 17 outsourced it to a better company. I'll be sure to pick this one up. :)

He is right on the money there, Worms on the N gage that two tribes produced was also actually very good. I would play it now but, I gave the N Gage QD to my Ex... your right there I hated the bitch she deserved that crap

JYKSTA

Definitely on the "buy" list this week. Need something to keep me busy when I'm not home playing Prime 3.

XSX

I'm gonna go to blockbuster today and see if they have it. I'll let you guys know how it is, if they have it.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wow, 12000? That's a pretty darn good start. I have sooo many RPGs and SRPGs on my backlog, I need a nice quick blow things up game like worms. Wait... That many and the game's not even shipped till tomorrow. The review copy folks must be playing the crap out of it.

I kinda wanna see how the PSP version does, too.

Thomper

Of course this version's better - it was developed by the Dutch! We know what makes Worms-games good. Which is why I'm liking this game so far too.

XSX

uh, just realized it's only out in Europe right now, so theres no way in heck blockbuster is gonna have it.

Dammit, why did Europe get it early? :lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wait, the review says its online, but the boxart doesn't have thw NWFC logo...

Keep in mind that if it's online, my dream of a portable, global worms fight will have finally been fulfilled.

I picked it up on Friday but have only played it a handful of times because of work. :( Didn't get to try any of the single player stuff, just dove straight into the online. To my great relief, there seems to be a good number of people online, generally it takes about a minute to find someone to play with.

The few matches I've played online have been great. Had an epic battle with a German fella that went right to the wire, very tense stuff but incredibly good fun. It runs very smoothly in 2p, but haven't had any luck with a 4p game yet. We're going to have a bit of a Worms party this weekend, so definitely looking forward to some 4p action.

One thing I'm dying to mess around with is the level editor, from the quick glance I had, it looks to be jam packed with just about every option you need to make great levels. Seems very easy to get to grips with as well. Need more time to play and less for work, definitely recommended.

Kafel

Banned
xsarien said:
Wait, the review says its online, but the boxart doesn't have thw NWFC logo...

Keep in mind that if it's online, my dream of a portable, global worms fight will have finally been fulfilled.

It's online.

Buy Worms 2, not the first one.

Danielsan

XSX said:
uh, just realized it's only out in Europe right now, so theres no way in heck blockbuster is gonna have it.

Dammit, why did Europe get it early? :lol
The developer is based in the Netherlands so that's why :p

Played very briefly too; a 4p online matc h with strangers which was great; first one to win 2 rounds wins, many options and gametypes to vote on (like "race!"). 3p friends match, friends matchmaking is a bit meh. You have to choose 2, 3 or 4 players and can't decide who you want to play (or maybe I'm missing something). Other than that, it's quite awesome. Own Team names, custom Flags and Levels only with friends, but it uses the MP:Hunters idea of Rivals, too! You can play ranked games to climb up the online ranking (can be sorted by friends etc) and view the rankings for things like disconnects :)D) and awards.

The Touchscreen-minigames are so-so; a fun diversion... Fun Campaign with scenario-levels.

You can also play on one DS Hot-Seat style which is great. Downloadplay 2p only :/

For weapons etc, visit the webpage...

decon

Thanks for the tip on the demo. There's actually quite a large number of PSP demos out there, just no place to put em all in one place *cough*

XSX

Chibbi Brady said:
a 4p game yet. We're going to have a bit of a Worms party this weekend, so definitely looking forward to some 4p action.

Gaf needs to have a 2v2 tournament when this comes out.

All ordered.
Will stick my FC up in the matchup forum or something once it has arrived. Someone needs to make a thread if there isn't one already.

Top Bottom