• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody name your five (5) favorite DS games... or explain why others' choices suck

In order:

(1) Advance Wars: Dual Strike
(2) Age of Empires: Age of Kings
(3) Animal Crossing: Wild World
(4) Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime
(5) Worms: Open Warfare 2

So, that's the correct list. What does your (incorrect if different) list look like?

(I have a somewhat selfish reason for constructing this thread. I'm moving to Boston for grad school, and I've bludgeoned my wife into sending me care packages containing DS games on a regular basis. So, I want to see what everyone takes to be the DS's very best games.)

I see no Trauma Center, Sonic Rush, or Meteos.

I'm sorry, but your list is factually wrong.

Trauma Center is overrated. It is fun, but it gets less interesting as the game goes on. Someone make me a straight up motherfucking surgery game.

Sonic Rush is fine. Meteos is fine.

Zeed

Banned
DJLanglois said:
In order:

(1) Advance Wars: Dual Strike
(2) Age of Empires: Age of Kings
(3) Animal Crossing: Wild World
(4) Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime
(5) Worms: Open Warfare 2

So, that's the correct list. What does your (incorrect if different) list look like?

(I have a somewhat selfish reason for constructing this thread. I'm moving to Boston for grad school, and I've bludgeoned my wife into sending me care packages containing DS games on a regular basis. So, I want to see what everyone takes to be the DS's very best games.)
Your list contains Animal Crossing, and therefore is instant failure.

1. Ouendan 2
2. Mario Kart DS
3. Kirby Canvas Curse
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
5. Meteos

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ouendan 1
Ouendan 2
Phoenix Wright 1
Phoenix Wright 2
Phoenix Wright 3 (<--- I do not have this yet but it's not like it will be a disappointment. SPADA)

Red Scarlet

The only 3 DS games I have I would rate in this order:

1-Portrait of Ruin
2-Dawn of Sorrow (haven't finished)
3-FF3

Zeed said:
Your list contains Animal Crossing, and therefore is instant failure.

1. Ouendan 2
2. Mario Kart DS
3. Kirby Canvas Curse
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
5. Meteos

Ah, fuck. Actually, I probably should have included fucking EBA or Ouendan. God damnit.

Ah, well. Maybe they're 6 and 7.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
in no particular order:

meteos
new smb
dawn of sorrow
metroid prime pinball
megaman zx

lists that differ much from mine suck, because there aren't many more than five good games on ds.

Zeed

Banned
DJLanglois said:
Trauma Center is overrated.
If there is a gaming hell, you just bought yourself a one way ticket there.

Oh, and you forgot Castlevania.
You're right. Dawn of Sorrow deserves a mention, as does Trauma Center, EBA, Ouendan 1, and countless other games. Choosing a top five is like deciding which of your children to save.

1. Elite Beat Agents (Never played Ouendan)
2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
3. Phoenix Wright 1
4. Phoenix Wright 2
5. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (That's right, I liked it)

Nick

Tetris DS: First experience with a Tetris game. I know, shut up. I love it.
Kirbys Canvas Curse: It felt like a completely new way to play a video game. Maybe in my all time favorites list.
Brain Age: I felt like a better human being each day playing it. Still, little replay value.
Hotel Dusk: Except for the
chalk
puzzle, it was a brilliantly creative game.
EBA: It was exciting at the time, but still a classic.

Colonel Mustard said:
Age of Empires sucks becase you had a 50/50 chance of getting a defective cart.

Yeah, the busted ass copies are a bit less fun.

In truth, though, I believed that the carts were all bunk, and that some just never actually crapped out. (And, further, I thought that normally the carts tended to crap out if you did certain things: have a 3-letter name, or use the S&Q function, etc.)

Crushed

Fry Daddy
drohne said:
because there really aren't many more than five good games on ds
I'm surprised that even you could say that with a straight face.

TheGreatDave said:
Anybody that lists Sonic Rush double sucks.

Right dere RIDE ON right dere RIDE ON right dere RIDE ON

taco taco pete won't you slam on my face

Sonic Rush <3

Everyone saying that Phoenix Wright and/or Hotel Dusk are their fucking favorite game(s) on the system is a complete lunatic. It is one thing to have a little bit of fun with those games -- they are, after all, quite pleasant little toys -- but they're absolutely no the best games the DS has to offer. What the fuck?

iammeiam

DJLanglois said:
Trauma Center is overrated. It is fun, but it gets less interesting as the game goes on. Someone make me a straight up motherfucking surgery game.

I'm desperately hoping that's what this game is going to turn out to be.

TC dropped off my DS best-of list after the Wii version was so much better I can't go back to the DS version anymore.

My best five:

1.) Kirby: Canvas Curse
2.) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (Really, the whole series is awesome, and a lot of 3's appeal comes from knowledge from the previous 2, but it's the best.)
3.) Ouendan 2
4.) Picross DS
5.) Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Zeed

Banned
DJLanglois said:
Everyone saying that Phoenix Wright and/or Hotel Dusk are their fucking favorite game(s) on the system is a complete lunatic. It is one thing to have a little bit of fun with those games -- they are, after all, quite pleasant little toys -- but they're absolutely no the best games the DS has to offer. What the fuck?
If you preferred Animal Crossing to Phoenix Wright I don't think you're in much of a position to criticize other people's tastes.

Sonic Rush is overrated, actually. Especially since its really Sonic Advance 4, its not too far from the GBA titles, and actually has less multiplayer features...for shame.

Theres better looking, playing and more fun platformers on the DS, Rush is just..."Okay"

So yeah, I guess I can ut up my own

1. Mario Kart DS
2. Elite Beat Agents
3. Super Mario 64 DS (Yes, I am a master of the thumb strap method)
4. Planet Puzzle League
5. Phoenix Wright Series (Eh, I think I could put something else here, but these games are quite nice)

So, you hate God and eat babies and molest old nuns.

Oh, and you forgot Castlevania.

You have terrible taste in games. My Jesus.

Castlevania? Are you fucking kidding me? You seriously haven't gotten sick of them yet? Do you have memory problems? Did you just start playing the series last week? Do you hate enjoyable experiences and love unenjoyable ones?

I like the classic Castlevania games, and some fo the GBA games are alright. But, I swear to christ on a cross, I wouldn't blink if someone told me that the series was being killed forever.

DJLanglois said:

<3 Adventure games. Plus, they get points for having some of the best stories on the handheld.

DaSamba

Banned
1. Mario Kart DS
It is by far my most played DS game and before the online started to suck I had some amazing races.
2. Meteos
The first game on the DS that I was actually really looking forward to and it still remains one of the best in my eyes.
3. New Super Mario Brothers
It's just awesome.
4. Elite Beat Agents
I didn't expect to like this game at all and it sometimes really pisses me off but it is one of my favorites.
5. Advance Wars DS
I can play this game over and over and over.

Zeed

Banned
DJLanglois said:

Castlevania? Are you fucking kidding me? You seriously haven't gotten sick of them yet? Do you have memory problems? Did you just start playing the series last week? Do you hate enjoyable experiences and love unenjoyable ones?
Zeed said:
If you preferred Animal Crossing to Phoenix Wright I don't think you're in much of a position to criticize other people's tastes.
This needs to be reiterated.

Zeed said:

I'm in a special circumstance, though, regarding Animal Crossing.

You see, my wife plays Animal Crossing. My brothers (three of them) play Animal Crossing. And my mother plays Animal Crossing. So, during the holidays, we all sit around the fire (quite literally) and "play" this nonsense non-game, and have little competitions and trading festivals and shit.

Anyone who is in a non-similar situation and nevertheless has fun with Animal Crossing is probably a gigantic psycho.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
DJLanglois said:

I like the classic Castlevania games, and some fo the GBA games are alright. But, I swear to christ on a cross, I wouldn't blink if someone told me that the series was being killed forever.
I never played the GBA ones.

I love the classic ones, and I love DoS and PoR.

Honestly, saying you hate Trauma Center, Castlevania, and Phoenix Wright, then acting like you're some kind of bastion of good taste, is like calling the Godfather a piece of trash and then pretending to be a movie expert.

allen1982

Banned
My personal favorites you might want to try:

1) Jump Ultimate Star
2) Itadaki Streets DS
3) Final Fantasy 3
4) Harvest Moon
5) Professor Layton

Haly

DJLanglois said:
Phoenix Wright is superior than a lot of stuff you can find on handhelds or consoles. Great writing, great music, great design, great art (PW2 and onward). For what it is (a visual novel), it's almost perfect. All it needs is voice acting.

Livin_Lovin said:
<3 Adventure games. Plus, they get points for having some of the best stories on the handheld.

I like adventure games a lot, don't get me wrong. (Heck, I grew up on them, in large part.) But, I think that the DS hasn't nearly (nearly) reached its potential in that regarding, and I tend to think that both PW and HD are over-loved by people desparate for the DS to become a new adventure platform.

Also, the stories suck. I've never liked a video game story, and I don't understand how anyone does. It seems absolutely fucking crazy to me.

(Now, when I was a littler guy, I loved Phantasy Star 4's story. But, that was different.)

Zeed

Banned
DJLanglois said:
I like adventure games a lot, don't get me wrong. (Heck, I grew up on them, in large part.) But, I think that the DS hasn't nearly (nearly) reached its potential in that regarding, and I tend to think that both PW and HD are over-loved by people desparate for the DS to become a new adventure platform.

Also, the stories suck.
Someone get this man a straitjacket.

DJLanglois said:
I've never liked a video game story, and I don't understand how anyone does. It seems absolutely fucking crazy to me.
What exactly is it about the gaming medium that you believe makes it impossible to convey an enjoyable story?

Haly

DJLanglois said:
Phantom Hourglass hits America in a few months.

Also, PW is not adventure.

I never played the GBA ones.

I love the classic ones, and I love DoS and PoR.

Honestly, saying you hate Trauma Center, Castlevania, and Phoenix Wright, then acting like you're some kind of bastion of good taste, is like calling the Godfather a piece of trash and then pretending to be a movie expert.

Well, I don't hate them. But, I did really get turned off by Trauma Center's weird fucking alien/arcade shooter turn. I wasn't expecting it, and it made me sad. And, I love the old Castlevania games.

But, c'mon. Advance Wars? Age of Empires? Worms? Cuuuuuum.

DJLanglois said:
Also, the stories suck. I've never liked a video game story, and I don't understand how anyone does. It seems absolutely fucking crazy to me.

Then that would be the defining factor behind your reasoning.

Zeed said:
Someone get this man a straitjacket.

What exactly is it about the gaming medium that you believe makes it impossible to convey an enjoyable story?

I don't think there is anything about the gaming medium that makes it impossible to convey an enjoyable story. Did I say that? No.

I do think, though, that just about 0 talented writers and directors are working in the games industry, and that I've never seen a video game which contained a narrative that even came close to the quality of good film or television, for instance.

koam

Meteos sucks. It's such a lackluster puzzler. I bought it for $2 (bless the system!) when it came out (brand new too!) and i played it like 3 times. Tetris, Picross and hell, even Virus buster in Brain Age 2 are wayyyy better.

Zeed

Banned
Next he'll be saying that Silent Hill is overrated, Dead Aim is where survival horror is at.
I'm starting to suspect that he's trying to make himself the next AniHawk, except he lacks anything resembling subtlety and humor.

DJLanglois said:
I don't think there is anything about the gaming medium that makes it impossible to convey an enjoyable story. Did I say that? No.
Well actually to be precise you said it was "absolutely fucking crazy" for a video game to have an enjoyable story.

I do think, though, that just about 0 talented writers and directors are working in the games industry, and that I've never seen a video game which contained a narrative that even came close to the quality of good film or television, for instance.
Then your experience with games is incredibly narrow, you simply have god awful taste, or you're trying to rile people up.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
koam said:
Meteos sucks. It's such a lackluster puzzler. Tetris, Picross and hell, even Virus buster in Brain Age 2 are wayyyy better.
beelzebozo said:
gotta concur. meteos disappointed me.

1187813309522.jpg

Crushed

Fry Daddy
koam said:
It's true though. It's "okay" if you don't compare it to anything, but it's not close to the best puzzler on the DS.
I went in with no expectations, and it blew me away and addicted me for months.

Tetris DS didn't compare for me.

KiticanaX

Banned
I can't number but I'll just say my favorite 5.

Yoshi's Island DS
Jump Ultimate Stars
Contact
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All

Zeed

Banned
koam said:
It's true though. It's "okay" if you don't compare it to anything, but it's not close to the best puzzler on the DS.
No other DS puzzler I've sampled has come close to achieving what Meteos did for me. It was helped by the fact that it came out during a critical drought period, but that game kept me in a trance for well over a month. The flawless fusion of colors, music, and interactivity had an almost hypnotic effect for me. I suppose it comes down to a matter of opinion, but Meteos still remains some of the most fun I've had on the DS to date.

There are 10 different types of people.
Those that have Advanced Wars:DS on their list, and those that wonder why I don't have eight other categories listed.

Tain

What a douche.

I mean, I can't even begin to make a post like this, and believe me, I've tried. Nice work and all, but damn.

Anyway, Phoenix Wright is one of my favorites on the DS. It's probably one of the few adventure games I like as much as the old LucasArts titles. Hell, it's the only game that I know, without a doubt, would be in a top five DS game list of mine. Everything else that pops in my head is kind of "good but not great." Stuff like Ouendan.

Top Bottom