• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming controllers for disabled people?

shuri

Banned
A friend of mine asked me if I knew where someone could buy or have custom-built gaming controllers for disabled people; especially for people who only have to use of one arm. This is a serious question, no 'LAWLZ MASTURBATION' jokes , I'm sure there a solution for disabled gamers out there? We have so many posters here, theres bound to be a few disabled folks in here who could help me out with this.

eXistor

I do remember a one-handed controller, but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. Might I also suggest the first 2 Suikoden games (or was 3 like that as well?). They have a one-handed control scheme.

/edit: actually I can't remember if I'm just making shit up, but I could swear the Suikoden games have it.

There is a custom built 360 controller available for people with one arm by Ben Heckendorn.
With the receiver this will work with PC games also.

Not sure how comfortable it is over extended periods of time.. but some gaming is better than no gaming.

dock

There were some single-handed controllers for the PSone which may still work for a number of PS2 games, and even other consoles with adapters. I believe they're mostly digital though, so they might not be fully compatible.

MutFox

Banned
You could probably make one yourself, cutting a regular controller in half, extending wires,
and have one part controlled by the hand and the other by the foot.

Alpha_eX

There are a few but it's best to contact the console manufacturers, i'm pretty sure some guy at my old school had one for the N64 as he couldn't really use his other hand.

Hands-free controller on the right.

NOA-M160003.jpg

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm... I know that there were speciality controllers for the NES and (I believe) the SNES, made by NOA...

I'm suddenly curious about Wii games for single handed folks... how many Wii games can be played with just the Remote in a "pointer" configuration?

DavidDayton said:
Hmm... I know that there were speciality controllers for the NES and (I believe) the SNES, made by NOA...
I remember Mangod going on about these. They were originally designed so you could smoke and play in Japan.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there was an nes controller with tubes you'd suck on or blow into -- i remember seeing it in nintendo power

edit: that might be it in cheesemeister's picture

jvm

Gamasutra.
Earlier this year I cut my left hand badly and severed one tendon on the back of my thumb completely and another partially. Surgery reconnected the tendons, and I have 90% of my flexibility back, but for a while I could not play any games with a controller.

My solution was to get some decent Nintendo DS games which were stylus-only.

I enjoyed time with Zookeeper, Kirby: Canvas Curse, and Brain Training (Sudoku). There are some other stylus-only games out there, but those were the ones that kept me sane.

For what it's worth, as soon as my hand was taken out of the brace and I began therapy, I was told I could use my PlayStation 2 in addition to my regular strength and flexibility exercises at home.

eXistor said:
I do remember a one-handed controller, but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. Might I also suggest the first 2 Suikoden games (or was 3 like that as well?). They have a one-handed control scheme.

/edit: actually I can't remember if I'm just making shit up, but I could swear the Suikoden games have it.

cant remember if its in 3, but I know for certain it's in 1, 2, and 5. not 4 though, because 4 has the user-controllable camera

i love that about the suikoden games.

I came in here expecting some fool to make fun and a joke but i am actually pretty surprised and happy to see that there are controllers for disabled people in order to allow them to play video games, actually made me smile to think that it is possible.

saunderez

Why not get them a Wii? I remember several stories of disabled people enjoying it.

The Wii is about the worst possible controller for someone with a disability. I've got a good friend who only has a stump for a right arm and he can play any console with a regular gamepad just fine (he's also a gun on the PC). But the Wii remote + nunchuk is useless. We talked about making a foot board for him for the nunchuk buttons and affix the analog stick from the nunchuk to a lap board - but it would be a big undertaking.

saunderez said:
The Wii is about the worst possible controller for someone with a disability.

This blanket statement is absurd. There are many different kinds of disabilities, each with its own difficulties. No one controller is going to be the best or the worst for all of them.

Lee N

Membre
the DS is pretty friendly for the disabled. Obviously not all games, but there are quite a few that can be played with just one hand (holding the stylus). Even Phantom Hourglass can be played from the beginning to the end with just one hand.

I remember looking into this for some clients I worked with a while back. I remember seeing quite a few "sip 'n puff" switches, but no one-handers like some of those displayed here. You're looking for "adaptive <console> controllers" if you're looking for google search terms.

Although, you could always do what my acquaintance did. He has no use of either arm, but one day came in to excitedly tell me he had beaten Halo 2 (it was well known around the office that I took a week's vacation on release day). I asked him how in the hell he did that, and he said:

"With my feet."

Dude used a PS2 controller with both feet and kicked the crap out of Halo 2. I wouldn't have believed it, but another staff member had watched him play. Crazy stuff.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised by all the serious responses. I came in here expecting to see 20 posts of the girl with the "Wii Helmet" or just a picture of a Wiimote.

xbhaskarx

Ollie Cromwell said:
Although, you could always do what my acquaintance did. He has no use of either arm, but one day came in to excitedly tell me he had beaten Halo 2 (it was well known around the office that I took a week's vacation on release day). I asked him how in the hell he did that, and he said:

"With my feet."

Dude used a PS2 controller with both feet and kicked the crap out of Halo 2. I wouldn't have believed it, but another staff member had watched him play. Crazy stuff.

Wow, that is really impressive.

saunderez

This blanket statement is absurd. There are many different kinds of disabilities, each with its own difficulties. No one controller is going to be the best or the worst for all of them.

For a wide variety of disabilities the Wii controller is the worst possible solution. Any disability which results in loss of fine motor function in a limb or total loss of limb will be extremely hard to play on a Wii controller.

Loss of fine motor function pretty much removes the use of the pointer and various motion gestures. Loss of a limb removes the use of the nunchuk which results in no nunchuk controls (obviously) and any motion detection required by the nunchuk. Even in my friends situation (missing right arm) we couldn't work out a solution that would allow him to have motion control on the nunchuk side of the controller. Therefore Zelda: Twilight Princess is unplayable by him. Which is why he wanted a Wii in the first place.

I have been working with 2 close friends about how they can continue gaming with their disabilities and this the major finding I have made. It is not a blanket statement whatsoever.

Top Bottom