• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big HOME beta update (with new screens)

theBishop

Banned
Someone on the Console-Exploits message board has posted information on a recent Home beta update along with some sweet-looking pics. I'm at work now, so I won't be able to test it until this evening (ugh...). This is unconfirmed, but I imagine someone (Wollan?) will be able to confirm/deny quickly.

It seems the HOME beta has been updated and ready for download by current testers. With this update the HOME Square that was shown at E3 has finally been made available to testers. From what I understand many changes have been made to the HOME beta and they're very well received by beta participants. One of the changes I was informed of is that they've broken locations down to optional downloads. For example if you didn't desire to visit the theater you didn't have to download it. It make for a much smaller core download and allows users to define their own experiences. Anyhow less talk and more screenshots, enjoy!

6gthmjt.jpg

5x7fv43.jpg

6afof2s.jpg

4ku1lwm.jpg

4y67hh3.jpg

5yd2n28.jpg

67haq6r.jpg

2gt4sqx.jpg

66mse94.jpg

6f7qeyu.jpg

61jj24p.jpg

6432fy1.jpg

SOURCE.

My reaction is the new areas look incredible(!), but separating each area as individual downloads seems like a big mistake to me. And that Divx logo is tantalizing :lol

UPDATE:

GamesIndustry.biz caught up with SCEE's Jamie MacDonald for an interview on Home:

On user-safety:
It's not going to be the like the Wild West in internet terms. I'm a great supporter and believer in having a Wild West aspect to the Web, but Home isn't that. It's a challenge to make sure we create an environment that's safe for users and safe commercially for our publisher partners.

On tying Home to the PS3:
I would like to think that it might be one of a number of reasons why a consumers might buy a PlayStation 3 in the first place. But the most important thing is that once a consumer has bought a PS3, an always on and connected right out of the box machine, Home becomes part of that good consumer experience.

On releasing Home to the public:
It's already out there in a closed beta and we're going to an open beta in the next couple of months and then it will be available on the Cross Media Bar soon after. But it's a constantly evolving thing. Week by week and month by month it evolves. There isn't going to be this big bang launch. That's how you do it in the Web 2.0 world, if you're familiar with the launch of Gmail or something like that.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28598

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
cannot wait to get my hands on this, I remember people were pleased with it in early stages it's come SO far now. Hopefully they can keep adding more and more great things.

Looking good...are the games like Checkers and such playable (and free) at this point in the Beta...is there chat while you're playing? Is it easy to initiate?

Splatt

theBishop said:
My reaction is the new areas look incredible(!), but separating each area as individual downloads seems like a big mistake to me. And that Divx logo is tantalizing :lol

It's all about the choice.

Gattsu25

Banned
It worked out pretty well in Guild Wars IMO (the only fucking thing that piece of shit did right) so optional area downloads sounds like a great idea IMO

and Divx logo? :D

theBishop

Banned
Splatt said:
It's all about the choice.

Well, even if its not part of the initial download, I don't think it should ask you. Walking into the area is making the choice. If you're downloading an area for the first time, it should say "Downloading New Area" along with a progress bar and a message saying this will only happen the first time you enter an area.

Wollan

Eventually there will be hundreds, nay, thousands of spaces with time so it's only natural that you download them as you visit them. All of them stored in a cache with the least visited/oldest spaces getting deleted as you visit new ones (if you have reached the cache maximum). Same goes for the video ads..etc. I can't say anything about a update but I guess you can imagine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So if you pay for a "nicer" place, are there any advantages beyond it looking "nicer"? Should add that I've kind of been following this Home thing from afar, only aware of a few general specifics about it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Since new spaces will be added over time, there has to be infrastructure for downloading them when you want to go to them..the initial Home install can't include every space that's ever going to be ;) According to Wollan they're cached to your HDD.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
theBishop said:
Well, even if its not part of the initial download, I don't think it should ask you. Walking into the area is making the choice. If you're downloading an area for the first time, it should say "Downloading New Area" along with a progress bar and a message saying this will only happen the first time you enter an area.

I am sure they will find a good way to implement this mechanism :).

derder

For those of you who got into the HOME beta, what did you put for your favorite genre of games in the GAP thing?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
gregor7777 said:
Looking good...are the games like Checkers and such playable (and free) at this point in the Beta...is there chat while you're playing? Is it easy to initiate?

The intention was that most Home activities out in the wild would be free unless you wanted a version to take back to your personal apartment. Of course this my well have changed and yes chat should work while you're playing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Asides from Home Square, it'd be interesting to here if there's been any functionality updates (e.g. media sharing), or if any stuff has changed in apartments, any new furniture, whatever..

They always have to do these updates when I wont be home until late. Now im gonna be up late getting this stuff.

Also, my psn is gamerecks, if anybody wants to play some games tonight.

Goldrusher

divx.jpg

!!!

Everything else is looking good. Has a bit of a Miami, or even Gold Coast (Australia) feel to it. And gotta love the fifties styled bowling alley, the cinema, etc.

I like the optional downloads. I want my Home experience to be as small as possible; just give me actual gaming lobby and invite features and keep the bloat out.

consoul

gregor7777 said:
Yes. Yes. And Yes.

Home Square much improved.
Home Theatre sucks now. (Where's the content gone?)
Apartment invites working well.

Steroyd

DoctorWho said:
Has everyone gotten to the point that they are breaking NDA and talking about the Beta?

No.

We can say wow totally awesome wish you were here that's not breaking the NDA.

Ooo ooo fellow homii's add me, the Home BETA's a little dull when your on your own my PSN ID is Steroyd.

Vashu what's your ID?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Should have taken a picture of the full list of changes in the Latest Update section! I'm as curious about any functionality changes as much as the home square, if there are any.

theBishop

Banned
haunts said:
Is HOME going to eventually replace the Playstation Store?

HOME doesn't replace anything on the Playstation Network. HOME relies on the underlying infrastructure (store, wallet, buddy lists, blocking, etc) of the Playstation Network.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wonder if the idea with the split downloads is to make the initial area so small as to auto include it into a future firmware update so that everyone can get on out of the box without having to wait and download.

That way you get the initial experience trouble free...

That said, it looks beautiful. And the split downloads make sense since I expect more and more areas to appear in the future, growing like an organic city.

Top Bottom