• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Official Thread (NA)

ziran

53oqo1v.jpg

Release Dates:
Japan - June 23rd
NA - October 1st
Australia - October 11th
Europe - October 19th

NA/Australian Box Art:
4zsujkn.jpg

European Box Art:
542mul4.jpg

Official Sites:
Japan
NA
NA (part of Zelda Universe)
Europe

Wallpaper:
Zelda Universe:

Official NA site - Pack 1 - 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024:
6f9na7b.jpg
4m87wr9.jpg

2i9ig61.jpg
6gv2qzb.jpg

Official NA site - Pack 2 - 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024:
4tjdsae.jpg
4mkhpid.jpg

641atqt.jpg
6cghawk.jpg

Zelda Infinite:

Videos & Trailers:
IGN
GameTrailers
NA trailer - direct link to flv
European trailer - direct link to flv
E-Card - direct link to flv

Single Player:
Many months have passed since the events of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Link, Tetra and Tetra’s band of pirates have set sail in search of new lands. They come across a patch of ocean covered in a dense fog, in which they discover an abandoned ship. Tetra falls into danger when she explores the ship alone, and Link falls into the ocean when he attempts to rescue her. When he washes up unconscious on the shores of a mysterious island, he is awakened by the sound of a fairy’s voice. With the aid of this fairy, he sets off to find Tetra – and his way back to the seas he once knew.

Link must enlist the aid of several fairies as he explores dangerous wilds, uncharted seas and baffling dungeons. As he does, he meets an array of fascinating characters, hunts for powerful weapons and collects sand for a mysterious artifact called the Phantom Hourglass. Over time it will allow him to progress deeper and deeper into the ultimate dungeon.

6fi051c.jpg
4pds37q.jpg

541153p.jpg
6c5ccn7.jpg

4ulrls7.jpg
4th5lza.jpg

35aopxh.jpg
4paqde8.jpg

4u2x637.jpg
68if02b.jpg

4qp8485.jpg
4tt0lyt.jpg

4y0kdbp.jpg
6hfzkeg.jpg

4pvy2xv.jpg
541qg4o.jpg

Multiplayer:
A two-player wireless battle mode pits one player, as Link, against another player who controls the enemies pursuing him. Link must collect enough Force Gems before the enemies close in.

62oq41x.jpg
67xm0ap.jpg

6ccxhqq.jpg
5x4o11s.jpg

Controls:
The game is controlled almost entirely by the stylus. Using the touch screen, players direct Link’s movements and attacks: A sweeping motion triggers Link’s spin attack and tapping characters makes Link speak with them.

The game action takes place primarily on the touch screen, with a map on the top screen. However, the player can inspect the map on the touch screen and make notes using the stylus. The notes on these maps are saved for review on the top screen during game play. Players use the map to chart courses for their ships, too. Using the stylus to draw a path through the islands, players set their ships’ courses. Then, as the ships automatically follow the paths drawn, players can control their ships’ cannons to target oncoming enemies. In dungeons, players can use the touch screen to draw paths for boomerangs, sending them flying around corners or into otherwise unreachable areas.

IGN
Zentendo

Previews:
IGN (Japanese version)
IGN - FAQ
Zentendo (NA version)
Gamespot (Japanese version)
Gamespot - Phantom Hourglass launch centre

Developed by: Nintendo EAD
Executive Producer - Shigeru Miyamoto
Producer - Eiji Aonuma (Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time)
Director - Daiki Iwamoto (Four Swords Adventures)
Assistant Director - Hidemaro Fujibayashi (Minish Cap, Oracle Ages/Seasons)

Developer Interviews:
Nintendo Dream interview with the development team (translated by Zentendo)

Part 1 of 2

Part 2 of 2 (contains spoilers)

NOM Aonuma interview (translated by Nintendo Europe)

Wired - E3 2007 Aonuma interview
Game Informer - E3 2007 Aonuma interview
Gamedaily - E3 2007 Miyamoto & Aonuma roundtable

Reviews:
Famitsu 39/40
Famitsu said:
The way it allows players to use the unique features of the DS is quite natural. Particularly puzzles where you draw directly on the map are brilliant. It feels like you really are physically solving the puzzles.
Edge 9/10
Edge said:
In the context of the Zelda series, Phantom Hourglass is a solid but slightly lightweight proposition. Arguably, a brisker game which trims some design fat is exactly what the series needs. But in the context of the DS catalogue it's a giant of a game, perhaps the best yet, and certainly the fullest expression of this unique machine's charms
Eurogamer 9/10
Eurogamer said:
...the freshest Zelda in years, and the most complete game on the DS
CVG 10/10
CVG said:
There are many excellent games on the DS but few masterpieces. This one, though, is a masterpiece.
Game Informer 9.5/10
Game Informer said:
This isn't just one of the best DS titles yet released, it's one of the best games on any system so far this year.
Competition:
Nintendo America
To receive the three trivia questions, contestants must text "Zelda" to 20769 or enter by mail by visiting www.Zelda.com between Sept. 13 and Oct. 26. People who answer all three questions correctly will automatically be entered into the contest.

One First Prize winner will receive a trip for two to New York, two nights at a hotel, a $1,000 closed-door shopping spree at Nintendo World, $500 spending money, a special-edition Nintendo DS and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Nine Finalists will receive a special-edition gold Nintendo DS and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Winners of the first prize and their guests must be 18 or older.

Phantom Hourglass looks and sounds amazing! :D

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Friend CODES

1160 7636 6058 - Amir0x
0988 9649 8525 - HomShaBom
0387 6695 7245 - iby.h
1590 2604 9880 - Mejilan
2878 7506 9829 - AniHawk
4424 9394 1920 - MiamiWesker
0087 0226 3114 - Captain N
0903 0665 1732 - colinp
1031 9156 6719 - Deku
0860 1172 9144 - JohnsonUT

I have a love/hate relationship with this time of year.

Sigh...
See you next summer, Phantom Hourglass. Too many blockbuster games coming out to have time to give you a chance.

Dascu said:
Day 1.

Next to Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 my most anticipated title for the rest of the year.

Fixed for me! can't wait! and I'm getting the UK version just because our boxart is bitchin'! The US one sucks!
In comparison to the others

Dr.Hadji

From the interview.

ND said:
Yes (laughs). But once I played it, I thought it was great. I feel it certainly is the best title of the series.

Aonuma said:
At first, we had the idea of creating a good game in a short time. We thought Brain Age was our rival. Brain Age's like that smart transfer student. The Zelda Team's not in the top places, but it studies hard. And then comes this transfer student and easily gets the first place without studying. That's very frustrating. After three long years, we finally finished Twilight Princess and the transfer student's the one that's smart and cool and gets the firs place? Damn it (laughs)!

Aonuma: And since you write things down, they stick to your memory more vividly, and you remember them even after some time.

Hagishima: Writing's a stimulus for the brain.

ND: So your brain gets younger (luaghs)!?

Aonuma: See? We can beat that transfer student (laughs).

Interview said:
We split the dialogue between four people, so every island has the personality of the person who did the dialogue for that location.

ziran

Amir0x said:
nice thread
Thanks.

Xisiqomelir said:
Should I play Celda first? I never owned a GC and was given it free.
It's difficult to say. Wind Waker has its flaws but the concept of being an adventurer was great. The problem with the title is it was rushed and as a result feels unfinished, however if you go in with these expectations you will probably have a good time. The game isn't bad by any means, just not as polished as other Zelda games.

By all accounts, Phantom Hourglass is the perfect realisation of the Wind Waker idea, and does follow on from its narrative, so Wind Waker is going to be worth playing at some stage.

blame space said:
Are all Nintendo releases 34.99, or are some 39.99?
I think the usual NA retail for full price games on DS is $34.99.

Dr.Hadji said:
From the interview.
Yeah, there's some great stuff in those interviews.

If you're a Zelda fan and have some time, I recommend them.

Firestorm

immy said:
fair play, i don't know the rules about this and i'm from europe so i'm not really anticipating the game yet.

October 19th release in Europe.

And I should finish Hotel Dusk so I can have this as my game for when I'm on the bus/skytrain. Although I've been using that time to do my readings..

I feel it certainly is the best title of the series.

Oh, now. That would mean it's better than Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. If that's indeed the case, it's GOTY. :lol

Llyranor

I was already a believer of stylus controls, so I didn't really have any doubts about this game to begin with, but the JP impressions have done great strides in reinforcing that point. I already have the game preordered.

Good interviews in the OP.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ND: By the way, Mr. Aonuma, you've been continuing to work on Zelda games, but to whom will you hand the baton over?

Aonuma: (pointing at Iwamoto and Fujibayashi) It has to be these two people!

So this means Aonuma won't be directing any more Zeldas? Sweet.

soco

i can't wait, but why couldn't it have come out a month earlier or later :(

after some of the impressions on here, i'm really looking forward to this.

I'm sort of worried about the "character" of the series. Zelda's not all about action.

Then again, my fears are unfounded, it just gives off that vibe for some reason.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I already have this game bought. How can anyone not be excited for it? There is a fishing minigame toO!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
I just opened mine yesterday for the first time since the DS's horrid summer started. It's been all PSP for months.
Glory Days 2 came out. :D Oh yeah, nobody played it. :(

Top Bottom