• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't there one? The Official Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Thread

mint

Banned
lahgiaabc.jpg

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Japan Release: October 25, 2007
USA Release: TBA

TGS 2007 Impressions:
Gamespot
IGN

937330_20070920_screen001.jpg
937330_20070920_screen002.jpg

ffta2j2.jpg

Setting (from wiki):
The setting is similar to that of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy XII. There are seven playable races in the game: Hume, Moogle, Viera, Bangaa, Seeq, Nu Mou and Gria.[2] Chronologically, the game takes place some time after Final Fantasy XII.

Similar to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Luso was a mischievous boy who lived in the real world until he was punished for a prank he pulled just before summer break. Locked away in the library, Luso finds an old book and writes his name on it. The book then transports him into the world of Ivalice. Rather than wishing to return home, Luso decides to venture the world farther. However, unlike in the previous installment, the main character travels to the real Ivalice, instead of a creation of his imagination born of strong feelings; this fact is reinforced by the reappearances of familiar characters such as Vaan and Penelo.

Additionally, references to Final Fantasy Tactics are present through the existence of the Kamyuja criminal organization, which first appeared in Final Fantasy Tactics in relation to the characters Malak and Rafa Galthana.

Characters (From wiki):
lahgoaabc.jpg
lahgmaabc.jpg
lahglaabc.jpg

Luso: The brown-haired protagonist with a sense of justice, uses a large sword. Has a fear of ghosts. Luso is a mischievous boy who pulled a prank just before his school's summer break. Sent to clean the library as a punishment, Luso found a mysterious book and wrote his name on it. He was then transported to the world of Ivalice. Rather than wishing he could go home, being the adventurous one, he decides to go on a little adventuring. It was then he meet with Adel.

Adel: The silver-haired female protagonist, a thief-type fighter. She is a hunter, and is called among other hunters as "Cat Adel". Unlike Luso, Adel actually comes from Ivalice.

Cid: The Rebe leader of a group of hunters, Clan Gari, Cid will make his appearance by saving Luso from being attacked by a monster. Intent to help Luso return to his world, Cid acts as a big brother. He seems to hide a mysterious past and connection with a certain organization.

Hardy: A Moogle who is one of Montblanc's siblings, and Gurdy's twin brother, who left Rabanastre. In his travels, the moogle gathered musical instruments and made his performance in pubs.

Illua: A woman of an infamous criminal syndicate called Kamyuja who owns a certain Grimoire. Illua is somehow connected to Cid of the Gari Clan, though this is also a mystery.

Lezaford: An elderly character who is known as the Rune Master. He is respected for introducing Law and Judges into the world several hundred years before the story proper.

Vaan and Penelo, both from Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, will reappear in the game.

Tribes and Jobs
asdfe.JPG
asdf.JPG

gria.JPG
ffta2.jpg

Hume: Soldier - White Mage - Thief - Black Mage - Archer - Paladin - Fighter - Samurai - Ninja - Illusionist - Blue Mage - Hunter - Devout
Moogle: Black Mage - Gunner - Animist - Thief - Mog Knight - Juggler - Gadgeteer - Time Mage - Chocobo Knight - Magic Gunner
Nu Mou: Beastmaster - Time Mage - White Mage - Black Mage - Illusionist - Alchemist - Arcane Mage - Sage - Scholar
Bangaa: Dragoon - Bishop - Warrior - White Monk - Defender - Gladiator - Master Monk - Templar - Cannoneer - Trickster
Viera: Fencer - Archer - White Mage - Green Mage - Elementalist - Red Mage - Magic Fencer - Summoner - Assassin - Sniper
Seeq: Ranger - Berserker - Lanista - Viking
Gria: Raptor - Hunter - Bastard - Geomancer

Special Jobs: Bard - Sky Pirate - Dancer - Agent

Sallokin

Nice. I'm looking forward to this despite it being a sequel to Tactics Advance. Also can't the Bangaa be Dragoons/Lancers as well, or have they taken that job out of the game?

mint

Banned
Yes, I do believe they keep those classes; I just want to be certain that the names are still the same from the original FFTA.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I can't think of a time a game has ever disappointed me more than FFTA :(

I was sooooo fucking excited about it. I mean, an FFT pseudo-sequel, right? It was literally a dream come true.

Then... I BOUGHT the game.

:(:(:(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This game disposes of the Law System/Judges right? That should make the game better right?

;_;

I just want a game as close as possible to FFT or Ogre Tactics (as far as gameplay mechanics)

Darkpen

Banned
GDJustin said:
I can't think of a time a game has ever disappointed me more than FFTA :(

I was sooooo fucking excited about it. I mean, an FFT pseudo-sequel, right? It was literally a dream come true.

Then... I BOUGHT the game.

:(:(:(
eh....

initially, the game's really terrible (in comparison to FFT), but after investing some time in it (like... 10 hours+), and once you get adjusted to the controls, its actually not all that bad. In the end, I just loved my characters I had developed (Like Kim, the Viera Sniper :D)

BlueTsunami said:
This game disposes of the Law System/Judges right? That should make the game better right?

It's still there, but it's entirely optional. You don't get punished for breaking the Laws, but you get rewards for following them.

MrDaravon

There wasn't an official thread because we're not supposed to start them more than 1 week before it's release :lol

Halo 3 was given special permission I think.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PataHikari said:
It's still there, but it's entirely optional. You don't get punished for breaking the Laws, but you get rewards for following them.

:lol

Thats how it should have been in the first place. Incentives instead of punishment, playing the original FFTA is a testcase for "How to abuse a child and take away their candy"

CurseoftheGods said:
Any word if the story's deeper this time around?
uhhh.gif

I WANT TO LIVE IN FINAL FANTASY TACTICS

Sallokin

McDragon said:
lahgoaabc.jpg

Ridicules weapon is ridicules.

Poor spelling is poor.

Anyway, the previews that are up give me a pretty decent vibe. I really doubt the story is going to be comparable to the original PS1 Tactics, but let's hope it's a little deeper than the GBA one.

Isn't Luso making a cameo in the PSP Tactics as a playable character?

mint

Banned
Sallokin said:
Poor spelling is poor.

Anyway, the previews that are up give me a pretty decent vibe. I really doubt the story is going to be comparable to the original PS1 Tactics, but let's hope it's a little deeper than the GBA one.

Isn't Luso making a cameo in the PSP Tactics as a playable character?

Yeah, the official website for FFT PSP has some info on luso as well, along with balthier.

ssoass

FFTA took place in a world loosely based on FFXII, but it looks like this game will actually take place in FFXII's world, what with some of the towns and areas being in screens, Vaan and Penelo, the same summons, and the Archadian symbol being on the judge's cape. (on the boxart)

mint

Banned
yeah although some character design look bland, i'll forgive because of the amazing and pretty design of penelo.

some new job art:

bahjhaabe.jpg
bahjiaabe.jpg
bahjjaabe.jpg

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I actually liked FFTA a lot.

The law system got insanely annoying at times, but that appears to have been fixed for the sequel.

Must buy for me, definitely. :D

mint said:
yeah although some character design look bland, i'll forgive because of the amazing and pretty design of penelo.

some new jobs:

bahjhaabe.jpg
bahjiaabe.jpg
bahjjaabe.jpg

see, these are much better. simple yet effective. instead we'll have a dude walking from square to square on high heels. jesus.
btw, what are the new classes?

Saitou

Banned
mint said:

some new jobs:

Those, uh, don't look like new jobs.

Rather, redesigns for the Assassin, Summoner and the paladin Bangaa class whose name escapes me at the moment.

mint

Banned
Saitou said:
Those, uh, don't look like new jobs.

Rather, redesigns for the Assassin, Summoner and the paladin Bangaa class whose name escapes me at the moment.

sorry i meant job art

Hereafter

Any indication that the game will be harder?

The the new jobs are great and all but there isn't really incentive me to try them (in a tactical sense) if the all the enemeies dies in 1 hit.

Aeana

I almost forgot about this thread, but I guess it's the one to post in.

I've spent about an hour with the game, so far, so here are some impressions:

• There's a difficulty selector at the start (normal or hard).
• There's a cute questionnaire at the start, too. The questions are pretty straightforward, like "What's your goal for summer vacation?" The available answers to that question are kind of funny, too ("Be able to swim 500m!", "Get warrior to level 75!" and "Learn to speak a foreign language"). These answers appear to affect which clan abilities are available to you at the start.
• At the start of every battle, after the law has been presented, you can choose from a list of clan abilities. These are things like "speed up 1" or "power up 2" and you can only choose one for each fight.
• MP appears to work similarly to Tactics Ogre. Everyone begins a battle with 0 MP, but gains an amount at the beginning of every turn, thus keeping mages consistently useful throughout.
• The UI is VASTLY improved over FFTA. This was one of my major complaints with FFTA, and I'm really happy to see it improved. It's much less of a hassle to see the abilities on an item and the abilities of your characters.
• So far, there's been a little bit of original music, but also several songs from FFTA. I'm hoping for more original stuff as I progress.
• All characters gain experience, whether they fight or not... but it seems like MORE experience is granted to those who participate, and there's even an MVP system. At first, I thought it was like ASH's, but more than one character can be MVP. There's a 'smash' gauge associated with each unit, which appears to raise when they act. If it fills to the top, they become an MVP and get bonus experience.
• There's a really neat turn indicator on the top screen in battle
• Did I mention that the UI is vastly improved?
• The battlefields are BEAUTIFUL - huge upgrade over FFTA.

I'll likely have more to say once I get to spend some more time with the game this evening.

traveler

Not Wario
Where the hell are the Sage and Alchemist classes in that list? Don't tell me they took out my two favorite classes from TA... :(

Aeana

traveler said:
Where the hell are the Sage and Alchemist classes in that list? Don't tell me they took out my two favorite classes from TA... :(

Both sage and alchemist are listed on the official site.

CTLance

DKnight said:
WTF? that's a new low.
I kind of want to see him move and fight in that outfit, just for shits and giggles. I doubt he could. Someone went waaaaay overboard with trinkets and ridiculous stuff, Threads of Fate nonwithstanding. I'm a subscriber to the KISS principle though. Keep it simple, suckers.
2ly4dc9.gif

Nonetheless, I want this game. I spent an insane amount of time on FFTA. I just checked, my save lists a playtime of 198 hours 21 minutes. :lol

ElyrionX

So the game still uses the retarded system where you learn skills from items? If so, no buy. FFTA was a complete disappointment and is a stain on the FFT brand.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:

• There's a cute questionnaire at the start, too. The questions are pretty straightforward, like "What's your goal for summer vacation?" The available answers to that question are kind of funny, too ("Be able to swim 500m!", "Get warrior to level 75!" and "Learn to speak a foreign language"). These answers appear to affect which clan abilities are available to you at the start.
• At the start of every battle, after the law has been presented, you can choose from a list of clan abilities. These are things like "speed up 1" or "power up 2" and you can only choose one for each fight.
• MP appears to work similarly to Tactics Ogre. Everyone begins a battle with 0 MP, but gains an amount at the beginning of every turn, thus keeping mages consistently useful throughout.
• The UI is VASTLY improved over FFTA. This was one of my major complaints with FFTA, and I'm really happy to see it improved. It's much less of a hassle to see the abilities on an item and the abilities of your characters.
• So far, there's been a little bit of original music, but also several songs from FFTA. I'm hoping for more original stuff as I progress.
• All characters gain experience, whether they fight or not... but it seems like MORE experience is granted to those who participate, and there's even an MVP system. At first, I thought it was like ASH's, but more than one character can be MVP. There's a 'smash' gauge associated with each unit, which appears to raise when they act. If it fills to the top, they become an MVP and get bonus experience.

I'll likely have more to say once I get to spend some more time with the game this evening.
You're getting me hyped! :D

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Aeana said:

Oh yes oh yes oh yes

The UI is VASTLY improved over FFTA. This was one of my major complaints with FFTA, and I'm really happy to see it improved. It's much less of a hassle to see the abilities on an item and the abilities of your characters.
Nicccccce

ethelred

ElyrionX said:
So the game still uses the retarded system where you learn skills from items? If so, no buy. FFTA was a complete disappointment and is a stain on the FFT brand.

Um... There's nothing inherently retarded about item-based skill acquisition. It was used to great effect in FFIX.

CTLance

ElyrionX said:
FFTA was a complete disappointment and is a stain on the FFT brand.
That is a mighty brave thing to post directly below the guy who spent nearly 200 hours on said 'stain'. Prepare to be eviscerated.
j/k

Personally, I loved the item->skill system. It was so much better for me than FFTs' system, since my OCD made me wait around for those §$%& Crystals that spawn out of corpses. I think I never got past three or so fights in the game, but boy, I fought those fights at least twenty times each. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Um... There's nothing inherently retarded about item-based skill acquisition. It was used to great effect in FFIX.
Exactly, not sure what the big problem with this is.

PataHikari said:

Awesome I can live with that! I actually enjoyed FFTA. I enjoyed Ogre Tactics much more.

Aeana

I've played some more, and I must say that I'm really enjoying the game quite a bit.

There are a ton of quests to do, and some quests even lead to unlocking jobs. Also, the loot system from FF12 is back... but enhanced greatly. From battle, you'll receive various monster parts, much like FF12. At each shop, there's an option called "treasures." Inside is a list of items with generic names such as "sharp sword" or "blue clothes," and after you select one of these items, you can see the materials it requires. The required materials are generic categories like "magic stones" and "bones" and match the categories of the loot in your inventory. If you happen to have the right combination of items, you can create the item and it will show up in the shop for sale.

They've also added treasure chests and NPCs to the battlefields, and there's a context command that appears above 'attack' in the battle menu if you're next to one that allows you to open a chest or talk to the NPC.

Another new feature is available at pubs called "clan trial." These are special quests that cost CP (clan points) instead of gil to take on. At the start of the trial I attempted, I was able to choose a handicap from a list. The reward for the more limiting handicaps was far greater than the less limiting ones. It seems that in the clan trials, you absolutely must follow the judge's law, and the laws change based on which handicap you choose.

It's really quite an improvement over FFTA so far, and I'm quite impressed.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
CTLance said:
That is a mighty brave thing to post directly below the guy who spent nearly 200 hours on said 'stain'. Prepare to be eviscerated.
j/k

Personally, I loved the item->skill system. It was so much better for me than FFTs' system, since my OCD made me wait around for those §$%& Crystals that spawn out of corpses. I think I never got past three or so fights in the game, but boy, I fought those fights at least twenty times each. :lol
I LOVEDthis skill learning method, one of the greatest thing about FFTA; and now that they've fixed the user interface, oh it's on baby!!! (we hope).

Vic said:
I LOVEDthis skill learning method, one of the greatest thing about FFTA; and now that they've fixed the user interface, oh it's on baby!!! (we hope).

Doesn't FFT have skill learning aswell? Its been ages since I played the PSX version. I bought the PSP version as well but I'm too busy playing Jeanne D'arc. Which by the way if you do not own is an awesome game. Best game I have purchased for 29.99.

Top Bottom