• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Valkyrie -source- metroid influenced (previously 3 month mod)

Voted.

"YOU ARE FUCKING DUMB.

No offense, of course. It's actually a compliment, because YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS FOR FREE. I'm serious.

It's cool what you're doing, but I personally wouldn't do this for free. You're too talented to be giving this sorta stuff away for free. I realize that the feeling of people playing your mod is a reward in and of itself, but that doesn't get the bills paid."

The licensing agreement for the SDK doesn't allow them to sell it. And licensing a game engine for a commercial release requires some fairly hefty cash.

Chris_C

Nice, looks like it's comin' along really nicely mate. I got a much better ISP (only $250 a month for 400kbps!) I really ought to get on Gtalk.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
This looks really cool. I loved the way MPH took the series' jumping, infinite ammo, charged shots, standard missile launcher, Morph Ball, etc., and implemented them into an FPS (some of the maps and weapons were really cool too).

The only real problem was balance: using some characters in conjunction with their special weapon ability, exploiting a certain character's alt-form to do unintended stuff, and people always voting on maps with exploitable glitches (NST probably didn't have the time and resources to properly test for a wide range possible exploits, and had no way to patch problems once found); it ensured that within a few months the game was overrun with exploiters spamming the same broken weapons and alt-form glitches on the same broken maps.

Hopefully this game does a lot better. Lots of luck to you!

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
bengraven said:
FUCK. YES.

Nintendo, hire these fucking guys stat!

Yes please!

Thanks for all the support guys!

We've made a few changes to the underlying structure, it doesn't play exactly like Metroid. Obviously the ball mechanic is there, but we've modified the boost a bit. It's now a pretty big effect, with a cool-down, but it allows you to do some neat stuff, akin to rocket jumping.

(for instance, if someone is on the bridge above you, you can morph, and boost up the cliff face, and drop behind them, unmorphing in the air)

Of course, we can adjust all of this through the beta phase, and it's simple cvars to do, so we'll adapt the mod to what feels right for the community.

Zanboo said:
Right now, deathmatch and team deathmatch only. We're going to do iterative releases periodically. We want to get the core mod out the door though.
I don't know if you have any specific objective plans for a future version, but it might be cool to have something similar to Unreal Tournament's Assault mode, where the defending team has something like Mother Brain inside their base (think the motionless one from the NES game), and the attacking team has to get inside the base and fire a bunch of missiles into it.

I was thinking about this game the other day, still looking foward to it :D

*edit* so orange box is required? I been meaning to buy it but this just pushed me over the edge (not interested in hl2 as I own it and dislike it, but wanted tf2 and portal on my pc)

Diablohead said:
I was thinking about this game the other day, still looking foward to it :D

*edit* so orange box is required? I been meaning to buy it but this just pushed me over the edge (not interested in hl2 as I own it and dislike it, but wanted tf2 and portal on my pc)
Any source game (HL2, CS: S, Orange Box, etc.) can be used to play mods. Just download the Source SDK base under tools in Steam (after you have a source game) and you're good to go. So buying OB is very beneficial :D

Saitou

Banned
With all due respect to this great concept art and it's corresponding in game model, I really dislike when people put them rocket-boosters (high-jump) on the feet.

Physics do not work that way.

What would most likely happen is you'd cartwheel in the air. Putting boosters on the shoulders or back would make more sense.

Alternative: Make them ankle-boosters very fucking cool and actually cartwheel you through the air.

saelz8

Omega can't post because he's not validated yet, but he says that she spins on space jump, which is when the boosters are used.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Yeah, we had some issues getting the Valkyrie up and animated, but Minh Le (the guy who did Counter Strike) is doing our animations for her, so we should be able to post up some videos and screenshots very soon.

sonicspear64 said:
Any source game (HL2, CS: S, Orange Box, etc.) can be used to play mods. Just download the Source SDK base under tools in Steam (after you have a source game) and you're good to go. So buying OB is very beneficial :D
TY for clearing that up, buying hl2 (when css was a free packin) was so worth it with dystopia beta getting months of gameplay from me, one reason why I love game mods because I play them more then the game they converted :lol

Saitou

Banned
Quellex said:
Omega can't post because he's not validated yet, but he says that she spins on space jump, which is when the boosters are used.
Wait, I wasn't thinking properly. Nevermind. It'd work, probably. Possibly. Maybe.

I don't really care as long as it looks good.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Teknopathetic said:
Where the fuck have you been, quellex?

I said the exact same thing :lol

Oh, oh, and we're doing a video tonight after I get home from work, so we'll need some testers ~ 11:00 PM EST... send me a PM if any of you guys are interested.

Tre` and Quellex, you guys are already invited. :D

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Saitou said:
I'm feeling the urge to boycott this project because of that shitty camera work alone.

It's that bad.

Uwe Boll taught me everything I know.

EDIT: To be honest I was trying to get the video out the door before voting ended for the Mod of the Year, unfortunately that's in 6 minutes.

We'll release something soon that wasn't shot and edited in 10 minutes :lol

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Thanks to everyone, we've made it into the top 100 on ModDB

We're now into the second phase of voting, so get to the polls! :)

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
hallwayconcept.jpg

hallwaywip.jpg

And of course, we're in the running for the Top 5 Unreleased @ ModDB, so go give us a vote! :D

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Saitou said:
That's..... that's ingame?

Holy shit.

Top one is concept, bottom is in-game. Also, on the glowing texture, that's something we're looking at doing soon, definitely thanks for the link.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
With 2007 drawing to a close, we want to leave you with one last update to the progress of Project Valkyrie.

Since our first release will be limited to one player model, one thing we really wanted to allow for was customization so that each player can look unique. Currently the options we have fleshed out are multiple 'glow' colors of the suit and a helmetless version of the Valkyrie. Take a look below:

glowpreview.jpg

helmetlesspreview.jpg

In addition, we'd also like to give a preview of the HUD, including the viewmodels by Rashad Foux:

hudpreview2.jpg

That closes out 2007 for Project Valkyrie, and we're very excited to release early into 2008!

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
We'd like to show you guys a bit of media 'from the inside'. We have three fun shots to show off from our most recent playtest, where we've been tweaking balancing and stress testing for the best experience:

We hope soon to release an extended trailer, detailing all the features of our first release of Project Valkyrie.

In other news, update your bookmarks! You can now reach the main Project Valkyrie site by visiting www.project-valkyrie.com

Finally, if you haven't, please give us a vote in the Mod of the Year contest currently being held at ModDB. All of your support helps!
You can find us in the second section (Unreleased) under the Half-Life 2 section.

Welcome to 2008!

Rorschach

loosus said:
YOU ARE FUCKING DUMB.

No offense, of course. It's actually a compliment, because YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS FOR FREE. I'm serious.

It's cool what you're doing, but I personally wouldn't do this for free. You're too talented to be giving this sorta stuff away for free. I realize that the feeling of people playing your mod is a reward in and of itself, but that doesn't get the bills paid.

This, of course, is assuming that you don't either a.) already do this for a living or b.) have plenty of cash on-hand already.
No. YOU are fucking dumb...and probably a console gamer.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Hello all,

We had an interview with QJ.net right over here

We're also planning on releasing next Friday if all goes well. Valve is somewhat nebulous on their release date/time for their cache files, and unfortunately they are required so we can get out the door. (Can't run on TF2's coattails forever)

It will be an exclusive release with Fileplanet for 24 hours, and then the mirrors will arise. We're working with server partners right now to have enough servers up at release for the influx of downloaders, and we'll be releasing the server binaries (Windows only) earlier in the week next week.

It's an exciting time for us, and we'll be dedicating the release to Mark Haigh-Hutchinson, a brilliant programmer and person.

ECHO! The client is coming out today. I hope you people pounce on this like a super-model's malnourished cat when it drops in place. :D

Top Bottom