• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brawl Demo details

ggnoobIGN

Banned
We're supposed to keep non Dojo updates out of thread now so...

20216_n20071010_18_smashx_01.jpg

This may give us a good idea on who the newcomers are. Those not in there include Zelda. Shiek kind of somewhat confirmed?

Looks like he's using Wiimote

20216_n20071010_18_smashx_02.jpg

Translation of some impressions via smashboards:

"Translation of article: Basically, this guy says he thinks Brawl feels very similar to Melee. You can pick up one of the veterans and be able to play them immediately. He also says that the smash ball comes out just like a normal item comes out, and that for the wiimote + nunchuck setup, the jump button is the up key on the D pad (thank god for customizable controls)."

Yay for being similar to SSBM, and I guess I was right about the Smash Ball.

Edit: Any impressions of the newer characters?

Firestorm

YAY similar to Melee!

Sakurai thought of everything. Zelda's no playable so no Sheik confirmation at all. This is probably what people at E for All and today's Media Event will be playing.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Firestorm said:
YAY similar to Melee!

Sakurai thought of everything. Zelda's no playable so no Sheik confirmation at all.
Zelda was held off the Melee demo as well, and I believe she was one of the few starters not in there.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
THe title is pretty straight forward. It shouldn't recieve any backlash
I changed it just in case people thought there would be one available to us all.

EDIT: Guess you can't change titles of threads. This is my first thread so I wouldn't know.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ggnoobIGN said:
Zelda was held off the Melee demo as well, and I believe she was one of the few starters not in there.
No one knew that Zelda was even in melee. They had sheik's portrait on the character select screen for demos, preview media, and they even edited the sequence of the SSBM intro CG that contained Zelda.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jiangjunizzy said:
im gonna sell my holy paladin for some money to hire someone to go steal one of those demo discs

JUST YOU WATCH
I'm sure the demo code playing on a debug/dev unit will play just fine on your retail system. ;)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ggnoobIGN said:
We're supposed to keep non Dojo updates out of thread now so...

20216_n20071010_18_smashx_01.jpg

This may give us a good idea on who the newcomers are. Those not in there include Zelda. Shiek kind of somewhat confirmed?
Going by the size of the character portraits on the select screen, it looks to me like there is enough room for a maximum of 30 characters (Melee had 26). We already know 22 of them for Brawl.

That is, of course, assuming the basic elements of the character select screen remain the same in the final release.

MetatronM said:
Going by the size of the character portraits on the select screen, it looks to me like there is enough room for a maximum of 30 characters (Melee had 26). We already know 22 of them for Brawl.

That is, of course, assuming the basic elements of the character select screen remain the same in the final release.
Which most likely isn't true, like in SSBM, I assume the portraits will compress. So I guess 30+ characters then?

Duderz

Banned
We need more impressions to surface. No surprise at it playing a lot like SSBM, though, going off from the videos.

Duderz

Banned
OliveJuice said:
Which most likely isn't true, like in SSBM, I assume the portraits will compress. So I guess 30+ characters then?

Definitely. Only having at most 8 secret chracters, one of them absolutely being Falcon? :/

Jiggy

MetatronM said:

At this point, I'm fairly sure they won't. There are 21 characters known. (22 counting Zero Suit Samus, but even if she's selectable I think she'll be occupying the same slot as Samus.) Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Luigi should be all but guaranteed, taking us to 24. Conservative estimate suggests that at least three characters out of Ness, Jigglypuff, Falco, Young Link, Mewtwo, Mr. Game and Watch, Marth, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy should make it in, getting us to 27 (again, that's even assuming that 70% of these veterans are cut). Then if you figure there are at least three characters who haven't been revealed yet, we're already at 30. This, too, is being extraordinarly conservative as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Melee-like character selection screen bears no resemblance at all to the final Brawl screen, in the end.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ant1532 said:
Just so you guys know the Melee demo character selection screen changed when it came out

Smash%20Bros%20-%20Character%20Select.jpg

Player 1 clearly is about to make the right choice (and Nintendo made the right choice to put Capt.. Falcon in the top row).

Duderz

Banned
Somewhere in the vicinity of 33+ characters is looking more and more likely. Sakurai has already revealed so many that having at least 10 hidden characters like in SSBM is all but given.

If we already know of 22 characters, I'm going to say we'll find out about two more (Captain Falcon and Mr. Game & Watch, or Captain Falcon and Ness) before Sakurai goes dark on playable characters.

ant1532 said:
Your character in smash is always recovered after air hits
I know, but it looks like he stop the momentum of Mario going backwards, sort of like an l-cancel on the ground when you get hit far.

ant1532

Banned
OliveJuice said:
I know, but it looks like he stop the momentum of Mario going backwards, sort of like an l-cancel on the ground when you get hit far.
Nah, he's just doing his Uair while moving backward, I understand what your saying looking like he is flipping and slowing down the motion of going backwards but he is really just losing speed and happens to be doing his Uair.

ant1532 said:
Nah, he's just doing his Uair while moving backward, I understand what your saying looking like he is flipping and slowing down the motion of going backwards but he is really just losing speed and happens to be doing his Uair.
Ya, I guess that's more likely. I don't get why he would use his Uair there. Anyways, I would love a air-cancel in the game though, but even if it was in the game I doubt Sakurai would let it slip :lol.

G-Fex

OliveJuice said:
I want to know if the game has air recover/cancel....it looks like Mario does this after the sonic combo.

sonicjoins.gif

I hate you sonic, can't stand to watch him pummel mario. I'll finally have the chance to break his neck using Solid Snake.

Top Bottom