• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 reviewed by OXM (so basically it's better than everything)

Originally posted by SLUFAN on IGN.

10/10

COD4

+ Awesome moments on literally every mission
+ Multiplayer quality, quantity, and depth that rivals...nevermind, you know.
- A few frustratingly tough areas on the higher difficulty levels
? What's the story behind the epilogue level? IW won't say

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

+ Gripping, large-scale heists
+ Genuinely absorbing story (oh yeah!)
- Lotsa rough edges, especially incomplete co-op and multiplayer
? What kind of magic could IO make if it ditched itss janky Glacier engine for Unreal 3 (who gives a damn?!?)

Other scores:

Orange Box: 9.5
GHIII: 8.0
PGR4: 8.0
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 08: 8.5
Conan: 6.5
NBA2K8: 8.5

calder

Just purely based on hunches and what I've seen in previews, I'd have thought Conan would be a bit better. The other scores are pretty much what you'd expect... sooooooo looking forward to COD4 and Le Box L'Orange.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
? What kind of magic could IO make if it ditched itss janky Glacier engine for Unreal 3 (who gives a damn?!?)

If they switched to Unreal 3, the game would have been delayed to 2009

USC-fan

Banned
Any other reviews out? I'm guessing the xbox 360 is the version to get?

I can't wait to play this game! When is the ps3/xbo360 demo coming out??

calder

karasu said:
Is it just me, or are we seeing a crapload of 10's this generation?
Yeah, it's a testament to how crazy good this year has been for gaming... and how some ppl need to ease off on the perfect scores *cough*bioshockisthedefinitionofa9.5/10game*cough*. ;)

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Not that I've played it, but I don't disagree. CoD4 looks great.

People who played the Beta, what did you think of the game?

It's hard to judge the campaign by the multi, but it's the best looking game on the system bar none, and the gunplay is best described as an arcadey Rainbow Six.

USC-fan

Banned
calder said:
Yeah, it's a testament to how crazy good this year has been for gaming... and how some ppl need to ease off on the perfect scores *cough*bioshockisthedefinitionofa9.5/10game*cough*. ;)
*cough*1up*cough*

kenta

Has no PEINS
Kbsmoker said:
Several people have apparently said the two versions are exactly the same (graphically, feature-wise, etc) which I think might be a first

mm04

karasu said:

I notice it too. But I think if anything, it's raising the bar and devs meeting the challenge. Which in the end is good for gamers. I'm not one to get all caught up in the historical relevance of ratings. I only care if it's a "10" right now, cuz that's when I'll be playing it most.

Wollan

For those who have played the COD4 beta, has the aiming improved over COD2? In that launch game it felt like you were aiming/manoeuvring the gun from the hilt. Is the aiming improved?

Grecco

WickedLaharl said:
i hope the campaign is awesome in cod4 because the mp sucks. which is a shame since i LOVED cod2 mp.

You sir are cracy. COD4 is god incarnate in video game form.

Wollan said:
For those who have played the COD4 beta, has the aiming improved over COD2? In that launch game it felt like you were aiming/manoeuvring the gun from the hilt. Is the aiming improved?
It has the "Call of Duty feel to it", despite the modern setting--and the aiming felt no different, IMO.

I've always enjoyed Call of Duty on PC, but that's a personal preference of course.

McLovin

Kbsmoker said:

I can't wait to play this game! When is the ps3/xbo360 demo coming out??

This is actually one of the few games that is completely identical in every way shape and form on both platforms. Supposedly you even get some of the xbl features on the ps3 version. Gonna get the ps3 version myself.
The real question should be.. Does the ps3 version support keyboard/mouse? If so then thats the version to get.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
From what I played in the beta it was definitely a great game, but I'm surprised at the 10 still... good job!

I wonder why PGR4 got an 8.0 only though...

Sho_Nuff82 said:
It's hard to judge the campaign by the multi, but it's the best looking game on the system bar none, and the gunplay is best described as an arcadey Rainbow Six.

I wouldn't say it's the best looking game on the system, although we are looking at a multiplayer beta, so who knows how it could end up.

I prefer Halo, but I did enjoy COD4 a lot while I played the beta. Glad to hear the final game sounds like it's shaped up well, although I think I'm FPS'd out.

kenta said:
Several people have apparently said the two versions are exactly the same (graphically, feature-wise, etc) which I think might be a first
when our editor went to IW a few months back they insisted that both versions would be identicle

kenta

Has no PEINS
GodfatherX said:
when our editor went to IW a few months back they insisted that both versions would be identicle
No disrespect to IW intended but developers "say" a lot

_leech_ said:
What's up with all the fucking 10s lately? It's starting to lose all meaning.

Agreed. But that's what happens when even flawed games are being given 10s because people are wowed by graphics.

VultureDude said:
9.8 would have been more meaningful?

No, it's just really annoying seeing a game get a 10 and then get the "well, in retrospect it's not really a 10, but it's still really good" treatment a few months later. Makes it seem like everyone gets too caught up in the hype.

SupahBlah

Banned
karasu said:

The quality of the games has just got a lot better.

I can see the review scale going more harsh when more solid titles come out.

It just seems that every big game has actually hit its hype (apart from Lair)

Top Bottom