• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Braben - "BioShock and Halo 3 are not examples of "next-gen" games"

WTFing

Banned
Eurogamer
Frontier Developments boss David Braben believes BioShock and Halo 3 are not examples of "next-gen" games.

He was speaking exclusively to Eurogamer about his new project The Outsider, which he still believes will be one of the first proper examples of fifth generation gaming on the market.

"I loved the 1930s-1950s atmosphere of BioShock: the lovely Art Deco visuals and the audio that worked especially well," Braben told us. "Overall the whole game was beautifully executed, but the gameplay itself was not 'next-gen'."

"I found Halo 3 great fun, too, but also a little disappointing - as although there were a few nice touches and improved graphical fidelity, it hadn't really moved on much from Halo 2 in terms of the gameplay.

braben.jpg

Heh. I was just thinking a few minutes ago, how we don't hear anyone use that nebulous term "next-gen" much anymore. I guess it's not gone yet.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I've said it before and I'll say it again; whoever uses the term "next-gen" outside of the context of hardware iterations is an idiot.

Eh? Okay

I guess this Outsider game is going to be something special then right?
Sure you could make an argument that Bioshock and Halo 3 aren't "next-gen". But then what games are considered next-gen then?

Him and his shitty ass company can go fuck themselves. Bioshock is the only real "next gen" game right now. It actually did something to the FPS genre.

dejay

Banned
While I agree I don't think there really is a 'next gen' game. It's all a matter of small increments, rather than some quantum leap in gameplay.

Zozz

Banned
2600 said:
Heh. I was just thinking a few minutes ago, how we don't hear anyone use that nebulous term "next-gen" much anymore. I guess it's not gone yet.
yea sure you can throw the "next-gen" word around but can someone solidly give a definition on what games are "next-gen" this gen.

TrueReligion said:
Him and his shitty ass company can go fuck themselves. Bioshock is the only real "next gen" game right now. It actually did something to the FPS genre.
:lol :lol

Campster

I don't know why we care how next gen he thinks our next gen games for our next gen systems are, or how next genny they can next gen.

I think they next gen their next gens just fine.

DuckRacer

a Master Ninja said:
Let me be the first to say: Who the Hell is David Braben? What games has Frontier Developments made?
Such excellent, next-gen games like Thrillville: Off the Rails.

To be fair, they're making this, but they've been tooting their own horn lately.

StevieP

Banned
TrueReligion said:

Pfft. Like what?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Duck said:
Such excellent, next-gen games like Thrillville: Off the Rails.

To be fair, they're making this, but they've been tooting their own horn lately.

The Outsides...

Christmas 2009?
No publisher?

It's vaporware as of now

White Man

I dunno. He has a point. Neither game did anything particularly new. Halo 3 was a nice refinement of the things offered by previous Halo games; Bioshock was basically System Shock 2 revisited in a different setting--not a bad thing being that it's the first comparable game since SS2, but at the same time not new.

Go download the demo of his game, Thrillville: Off the Rails right now. It's on Xbox Live. Play the best mini-game in the demo, STUNT RIDER, a flash game with Excite Bike controls, and experience the TRUE next gen gameplay you haven't played since you were a child.

Jirotrom

TrueReligion said:
no it didn't.:lol

whether or not his game will show us "next gen" I don't know, but he is right.

gcubed

TrueReligion said:

did i miss something?

Campster

White Man said:
I dunno. He has a point. Neither game did anything particularly new. Halo 3 was a nice refinement of the things offered by previous Halo games; Bioshock was basically System Shock 2 revisited in a different setting--not a bad thing being that it's the first comparable game since SS2, but at the same time not new.

But there's a large difference between saying, "Look, all this new technology we had is great but we're stuck in a rut making the same crap over and over" and "THESE GAMES ISN'T NEXT GEN ENOUGH." The term is meaningless outside of the context of hardware iterations. The Playstation 3 is the next generation of the Playstation line. But when the hell is "Next gen" gameplay? How does one qualify that?

Half Life 2 is just like Bioshock, both games are critically acclaimed, and they offer the same experience their predecessors offered along with many substantial innovations. Bioshock is the most atmospheric game I've played this gen, and last generation technology could have never replicated the same experience.

mugwhump

What kind of fool tries to judge whether games can be described by an arbitrary power word with no real definition?

YOU CAN IGNORE THIS GUYS, EUROGAMER ISN'T PART OF WEB 2.0
DUUUUUURRRRRRR

Campster said:
But there's a large difference between saying, "Look, all this new technology we had is great but we're stuck in a rut making the same crap over and over" and "THESE GAMES ISN'T NEXT GEN ENOUGH." The term is meaningless outside of the context of hardware iterations. The Playstation 3 is the next generation of the Playstation line. But when the hell is "Next gen" gameplay? How does one qualify that?

According to the article, it sounds like for him it's essentially a game with multiple endings. They kind of paraphrase for him, but it sounds like stuff we've also heard a million times before-- freedom of choice, decisions affecting outcomes of the game, blah blah.

White Man said:

exactly.

I enjoyed both games a lot (Bioshock is one of my favorite games), but neither did anything ground breaking you havent seen in other games, Bioshock especially did things extremely well, but not much was really that new.

Top Bottom