• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Probotector in Contra 4?

Just found this press release (?).

Why don't more sites have it?

Bonus Features in Contra 4:

To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the popular Contra franchise of video games, Konami Digital Entertainment plans to incorporate a wealth of in-game bonus content into its latest entry in the run and gun action franchise, Contra 4 for the Nintendo DS™. The content includes:
• 20th Anniversary Virtual Museum – this museum provides a virtual history of the Contra franchise since the early 80’s, including box art, screen shots and information on every version of Contra from the US, Japan and Europe. The museum also features an unlockable gallery of bonus art.
• Unlockable Games – The NES versions of the classic Contra and Super C are now unlockable.
• 5 unlockable characters, including the Probotector from the European version of the Contra games
• 2 unlockable digital comic books from longtime Contra artist, Atsushi Tsujimoto
• An interview with noted Contra Producer Nobuya Nakazato

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
It was already a day one purchase for me but I am more than pleased by this! The robots from my childhood will be there. The Nes game are a great bonus too, wonder if they'll bother implementing co-op for those 2 games...

Enk

makes good threads.
Man that's pretty awesome, but does anyone else think that this game is coming out at the wrong time? I mean, if it bombs, Konami will be thinking "Well damn I guess nobody wants a 2d revival of these classic franchises". But in reality though, we're saying "We really, really, really want this badass game, but there's all these other awesome games we need to buy first".

I hope this game succeeds with all the heart that looks like is being put into it, but because of its timing, I doubt it will. It will most likely fade away and send the wrong message to Konami.

Rezbit

Lambtron said:
Huge jets of semen.
:lol :lol

kidcame.jpg

Enk

makes good threads.
dextran said:
wow. someone finally 'gets it'.
now - where are those ps1 contra games again..hahaha...

I know exactly what you mean. Wayfoward has shown in the past (with Sigma Star Saga and Shantae) that they understood what oldschool games meant for their time. Even though both of those games had their problems, the thought and heart was still there.

With Contra 4, it looks like this is their chance to shine and it seems like they know what it takes to make a fun Contra game. Hopefully it won't be for naught. I applaude them for at least trying as I will definitely be buying this on day one.

TJ Spyke

macksplack said:
What's contra? fuck that shit only Probotector lives in my world.

Probotector is hanging out with Dragon Warrior and Lylat Wars.

Is Konami still renaming the Contra games in Europe? Or is Europe finally joining the rest of the world in using the Contra name?

I planned to by Contra 4 as soon as I heard that the original Contra is unlockable in the game.

SuomiDude

TJ Spyke said:
Probotector is hanging out with Dragon Warrior and Lylat Wars.

Is Konami still renaming the Contra games in Europe? Or is Europe finally joining the rest of the world in using the Contra name?
I hope not. Probotector is way better, and the robots are way better than the humans in Contra. Naming the game Contra in Europe would probably also mean the end of the robot guys :(

SuomiDude said:
I hope not. Probotector is way better, and the robots are way better than the humans in Contra. Naming the game Contra in Europe would probably also mean the end of the robot guys :(
A bit late for that. Super Probotector was the last Probotector game. After that it has been all Contra :(

GDGF

Soothsayer
Woah. I'm not European or anything, but this is pretty cool news for you guys. Now it is the ultimate Contra/Probotector revival.

SuomiDude

AndyMoogle said:
A bit late for that. Super Probotector was the last Probotector game. After that it has been all Contra :(
Damn, and I stopped following the series after Super Probotector. Well I can always hope they still use some extra time to make this Probotector instead of Contra in Europe.

Zynx

They're pulling out all the stops to get the retro/past game fan to buy.

But it's a good idea - why not do so, doesn't add too much expense and could add a lot to sales.

Llyranor

Does this actually have online co-op?

It's not advertised in their ad, and you don't see the WFC logo on the boxart.
2u6fxcn.jpg

Aeris130

YES YES YES

I WILL TAKE IT UP MY PAL ***!

Seriously, wtf! That's too good to be true, playing as probotectors! Oh god fk yes!

Endgegner said:
Probotector >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...> Contra guys

Yes.

contrafaint.gif

border

Wait, is there a demo available on DS Download Stations? According to that little chart, there should be.....

jgkspsx

Jesus Christ, what a package.

Wayforward, I don't take back anything I said about that abortion of a Sigma Star Saga, but I love you anyway.

Jirotrom

Magicpaint said:
Wow, it feels good to be a Contra fan don't it?
No its not... this game should be on an HD system with high quality graphics and physics to take it to the next level. The potential this game has is being destroyed.

Jide

Jirotrom said:
No its not... this game should be on an HD system with high quality graphics and physics to take it to the next level. The potential this game has is being destroyed.

I can't tell if its sarcasm or not Jiro! You're not a trouble maker :lol

Haunted

Jirotrom said:
perfect. :lol

thefro

The rest of the press release says there's 40 "challenge modes". It sounds like they really threw a lot into it to add replay value.

iidesuyo

AndyMoogle said:

No, Mega Probotector (= Contra Hard Corps) had robots too.

Probotector%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

Robots rock :D
5737.jpg

v0yce

Jirotrom said:

And if it were 3D with motion control we should love it regardless if we're "true fans." Because most importantly it will sell well.

I can't wait for this game. And now I get to play with some Probotector bots too. Which is great because I've always wondered how they got mullets and headbands on robots.

Top Bottom