• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - online battles + voice chat + online map sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
2008 GotY contender?

This was posted in the other topic, but I know for many people this will be a megaton news, so I wanted to give it its own topic, too. The news comes from Kotaku's hands-on:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo-ds/advance-wars-days-of-ruin-hands-on-impressions-310918.php

Wi-fi multiplayer battles over the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection are finally here, bringing voice chat with them. Also coming is the tentatively titled Map Center making map creation and sharing a worldwide affair. Players can take their map designs, upload them, and rate and download others via the Map Center adding hundreds of maps to the 170 already included.

By all accounts, a moderate AW fan can easily have spent ~30 hours with AWDS going through the campaign, improving scores in the War Room, playing the bonus survival modes, etc. And its estimated that earning all 300 medals in the game AND getting S-Ranks on all the maps takes somewhere around 200 hours. People HAVE done it.

So... imagine what online play and online map sharing is going to do to this series. IT IS GOING TO DEVOUR SOULS :D :D

Don't underestimate the map sharing either. My small AW fansite coded an app that allows you to make Advance Wars maps, and we have a PHP system to upload, rate, and discuss these custom maps. We now have over 6700 custom fan-made maps in our database!!

http://www.advancewarsnet.com/designmaps/

There's even been entire fan-made campaigns.

Map sharing is going to be HUGE, and the first thing you're going to see pop up will be the highest-rated "War Room" maps made by the AW community, recreated for everyone to download. These maps are just as well thought out and finely tuned as the ones IntSys themselves makes. A random example:

http://www.advancewarsnet.com/designmaps/map.php?id=1805

This is gonna be BIG...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES
ONLINE BATTLES YES

Jirotrom

Greatest game on DS confirmed... everyone get ready to meet there maker when this hits. I will dominate you all online.

I suck so bad

underfooter said:
This makes me happy I held off on the first one.
why!!!!

Valtox

All over my pants.. Again :D
They are adding some sort of countdown feature or else online matches will take ages to complete.

I hope there's some kind of customisable 'You have this many minutes to take your turn' option.

Because its bad enough playing AW games 'pass the gameboy around' style, with people in front of you to shout at / mock for taking half an hour to build a single recon.

LaneDS

MrNyarlathotep said:
I hope there's some kind of customisable 'You have this many minutes to take your turn' option.

Because its bad enough playing AW games 'pass the gameboy around' style, with people in front of you to shout at / mock for taking half an hour to build a single recon.

Posted this in the other thread but I hope along the same lines they have an option for extended games where you literally make your move and submit it to WFC, and your friend (or friends) take their turns at their leisure, even if it's days later. Like a game of chess played through the mail.

Would suit the game very nicely I think.

GDJustin

LaneDS said:
Posted this in the other thread but I hope along the same lines they have an option for extended games where you literally make your move and submit it to WFC, and your friend (or friends) take their turns at their leisure, even if it's days later. Like a game of chess played through the mail.

Would suit the game very nicely I think.

Play-By-Email Advance Wars exists right now, you know. Not sanctioned or supported by Nintendo in any way... but it's out there.

But yeah, a one-turn-a-day mode would be FANTASTIC. I hope IntSys knows this.

Logged in about 20+ Hours in Advance Wars DS and only beat it once on Normal, half-way on hard, barely any war room, barely any multiplayer and only a quarter of the medals.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
They can do voicechat for AWDS, but they can't/won't for BWii. Absolutely amazing. <_<

Baryn

Banned
Wow, was totally not interested (Advance Wars was a little too long and difficult, despite its childish graphical style), but now this is a must buy!

WARCOCK

Banned
GDJustin said:
2008 GotY contender?

So... imagine what online play and online map sharing is going to do to this series. IT IS GOING TO DEVOUR SOULS :D :D

YAR IM HAVING A TUFF TIME CONCEPTUALIZING DIS. ONLINE PLAY,MAP CREATION + VoIP!?!?!?!?!? SHIT IF IT HAD BEEN DONE 10 YEARS EARLIAR WITH STARCRAFT/WC2 I THINK ID CALL THIS REVOLUTIONARY. Sorry to burst your bubble but in terms of "gaming" this is nothing special. But yeah i guess if your a fan of AW its pretty great. Oh wait its portable, i forgot! MEGATONZ! Besides the dumb OP hyping, this is good news.

AshStrife

Scribble said:
I REALLY want to get into Advance Wars. Fire Emblem is my favourite SRPG, yet I can't get into AW. It's odd.

That is because AW is not a SRPG. If you approach the game with the wrong expectations, you aren't really gonna get much out of it.

Anyway can't wait for this game.

Zeed

Banned
WARCOCK said:
YAR IM HAVING A TUFF TIME CONCEPTUALIZING DIS. ONLINE PLAY,MAP CREATION + VoIP!?!?!?!?!? SHIT IF IT HAD BEEN DONE 10 YEARS EARLIAR WITH STARCRAFT/WC2 I THINK ID CALL THIS REVOLUTIONARY. Sorry to burst your bubble but in terms of "gaming" this is nothing special. But yeah i guess if your a fan of AW its pretty great. Oh wait its portable, i forgot! MEGATONZ! Besides the dumb OP hyping, this is good news.
Wow, shut up.

GDJustin

All the new media indicates that a lot of the units have new prices. This is interesting news for AW fans, and something none of the hands-on impressions are likely to mention.

Infantry cost $1500 now instead of $1000 - seems like IntSys is trying to slow down early-game unit production a little.

The flip-side is that mechs have gone from 3000 to 2500... interesting.

I'll have to think on what this'll do to game balance. I have to wonder what the point of Infantry units are, now that the new motorbikes are only 1K more...

A complete list of known prices and attack/movement stats:

http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30838

Jiggy

The tone is muted, the dialogue dreary, the characters devoid of smiles.

[...]The Dual Strike CO powers from the previous Nintendo DS Advance Wars are gone, and CO powers in general are said to have been toned down.
I'm... not liking this.

Dual strikes may have been a breakable mechanic in the campaign, but they allowed for more customization in Versus. For example, in AW1 and AW2 if you wanted to have one of those types of matches where two COs team up against one greater power, that was only possible on the maps where one army had a larger number of starting properties. In AWDS you could create that scenario on any map with three armies or more. And even on the maps where one army did have more properties than the others (or better-shielded terrain, etc.), you could set up something like two small team armies against one large army that's just a single person, but takes advantage of forces. You could also more easily create a fair three-on-one situation, if the one army had a team, forces, and more properties.

And CO powers made the game more distinctive; whenever I played with those turned off, the winning team would just be making a slow crawl to victory and things never felt dynamic enough. If they're toned down, I'm not sure how it'll work out.

Still... day one. It's guaranteed to be awesome still, especially with online map sharing (multiplayer I don't expect to take much advantage of since AW matches take forever), but maybe not as much so as AWDS.

Rentahamster said:
This is awesome. When is this game coming out again? Not soon enough, probably.
January.

WARCOCK

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The kind of maturity one would expect by someone who willingly calls themselves WARCOCK.

In caps, no less. That cements his authority.

Hey at least i presented a debatable statement, as opposed to WOW SHUT UP. The caps simply mock the original enthusiasm behind the presentation that this is groundbreaking game design/features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom